The ideal pc-keyboard insert function

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

The ideal pc-keyboard insert function

Post by studio32 »

Nted has a new pc-keyboard insert function ( http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?p=855#855 ) and it is still in development... so I'm wondering what the most ideal pc-keyboard insert function is. What do you think? How do other programs like Finale en Sibelius do it?

How insert rests, drums, pitch and duration etc?

Now press the pc-keyboard tool, select duration with the F1 etc functions and the pitch can be entered by the arrows (up/ down).

I believe in Finale you can do quick insert so that number 1 will insert a whole note, a 2 a half note etc. and change the pitch by the arrows (the same as nted now).

What would be easier to make a 'rest mode' and a 'drums-mode' which should be selected to insert rests (the same way as the notes)? Or other keys for rests and drums?

Maybe to press numlock or something to change to the 'rest-mode' or 'drums-mode'?

Ideas and suggestions are welcome!
briwood
Established Member

Post by briwood »

I'm really keyboard centric and would be happiest if I could "type out" a score without ever touching the mouse. One of the first things I do with a new sequencer or notation editor is customize the key-bindings/shortcuts.

I'll try to follow up when I have more time and can be more thorough, but generally here's what I like:

Entering notes:

[length of note], [note name]. So to enter a G quarter note:

4g

The lengths should be "sticky"

8abc4d1ee

would result in a,b,c as 8th notes, d as quarter note and two e's as whole notes.

For rests I use something like Shift+Alt+1 for a whole rest. Shift+Alt+6 for a 16th rest.

I haven't put a lot of thought into the above.

It would be cool if there was a standard for shortcut key definitions. Then you could create one settings file and import it into Rosegarden, MuseScore, Nted etc and not have to set them each up separately.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

The keyboard function of nted looks like the quick insert tool of Finale.

Numlock on:

arrows: up down = pitch
numbers is insert duration, eg 1 = whole etc

Very fast!
nelleyz

Re: The ideal pc-keyboard insert function

Post by nelleyz »

How can my keyboard multimedia controls work with iTunes minimized? I have multimedia controls on my keyboard..( play, stop, forward etc). They work with iTunes but only when the program window is in focus, when the window is minimized the controls stop working. I would like them to work even when iTunes is minimized to the taskbar so that I can control my music while doing other things like surfing on the internet for instance. ANY SOLUTION?