Lilipond Development Sponsorship (Cross posted)

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ggoode.sa
Established Member

Lilipond Development Sponsorship (Cross posted)

Post by ggoode.sa »

Hi Guys,
There has been an offer to support some specific development of lilipond for a Pipe Organ music collection, here is copy of the post from the lilipond forum... (http://old.nabble.com/markuplines-and-i ... 35924.html)

by Jiri Zurek (Prague) Dec 04, 2009; 05:31pm

After some weeks of experimenting, I am now completely trapped within the \markuplines and inline \score.
There are two problems described earlier in this forum, both without any solution so far.
1.) markuplines do leave orphans and widows (single starting or ending lines of a paragraph on a page). I would need lilypond to make sure that there are no orphans and widows in the printed pages.

2.) The inline score problem.
It was observed that it is not possible to get multi-line music inside \markuplines which would wrap along with text. It was suggested that the way to temperate the problem might be using wrapped-lines instead of justified-lines as in mathematics when formulae extend to more than few characters (David Kastrup). However, I tried both and none of them is usable.
When the music is very short, then the paragraphs are formed nicely and the result is OK either justified either wrapped.
However, when the inline music is longer, the line and staff breaks do not form good paragraph if wrapped or justified (you may compare the PDFs attached - one is justified, the other wrapped). The paragraphs 2 and 3 look OK (no long music inside), but the first paragraph is bad in both cases.
a) word wrapped WordWrap.pdf
b) lines justified justified_lines.pdf
c) the source code in lilypond (very very long) lilypondFile.ly

I am therefore trapped in these in-line score breaks. What I would really need is the possibility that the long in-line score breaks smoothly inside the surrounding text: starting in the middle of the line where the text is finished (not jumping to a new line), and allowing the after-text to continue right where the ragged-right music was finished, in this manner:

Some text with =short=score= and
some more text. Some other text
and then: ==long====score=======
==long====score=================
========== and some more text.

It was observed, that to get this behavior would not be trivial task to program. However, it is rather essecial for my project and therefore I am seeking an able scheme coder who would be able to solve the two problems described. I am offering sponsorship for this in the height of, say, 2.000 USD. But of course, if it is too much work (what I am unable to estimate), I am willing to negotiate about even higher reward. Please, if anyone was willing and capable to help me, I would be really grateful.

It is not often that specific sponsorship is offered, so I thought that as I don't know Scheme (a dialect of LISP) at all, I'd post the news here in the hope that someone else might benefit.

GrahamG
Johannesburg, South Africa
studio32

Re: Lilipond Development Sponsorship (Cross posted)

Post by studio32 »

Wilbert Berendsen from lilypond tool Frescobaldi plays church organ.... maybe an hint...