Noteflight

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Jan
Established Member

Noteflight

Post by Jan »

I don't know if it was mentioned here before, but I recently discovered Noteflight. It is a web service for music notations and is based on Flash. I don't know much - or better: nothing - about notation editors, so I can't say if it's good compared to other applications, but for me Noteflight is perfect: it is simple enough, buut seems to have the capability of fairly complex scores. I also like the possibility of sharing and working together. But what's best is that I finally get to catch up on my very rusty notation skills. :D

So, if you don't know Noteflight yet, it might be worth a look.
The more it stays the same, the less it changes
Michael

Re: Noteflight

Post by Michael »

Some initial thoughts.

I don't like the idea of my unfinished or unpublished compositions being kept on someone else's server. This alone rules out Noteflight for me.

As for collaborative work, all the established standalone notation editors support import and export of multiple file formats, so working with other musicians on any score is easy. Therefore I see no advantage in using Noteflight for collaboration.

Bearing in mind the importance of timing, I anticipate an online system such as Noteflight will be unable to match the standalone editors in some key areas. For example, I use Nted which allows me to create a score by playing a midi keyboard controller. How would this feature be reliably implemented over an internet connection?

Interesting, but I'll be sticking with Nted :-)
Last edited by Michael on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

It seems like a handy tool for me if I'm in a situation where I need to capture an idea but am not in my ideal environment (at home). Perfect if I'm at work and just need to jot something down.
timmyw3ar

Post by timmyw3ar »

Thanks for the link. I really like this site.
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

Michael wrote:Some initial thoughts.

I don't like the idea of my unfinished or unpublished compositions being kept on someone else's server. This alone rules out Noteflight for me.

As for collaborative work, all the established standalone notation editors support import and export of multiple file formats, so working with other musicians on any score is easy. Therefore I see no advantage in using Noteflight for collaboration.

Bearing in mind the importance of timing, I anticipate an online system such as Noteflight will be unable to match the standalone editors in some key areas. For example, I use Nted which allows me to create a score by playing a midi keyboard controller. How would this feature be reliably implemented over an internet connection?

Interesting, but I'll be sticking with Nted :-)
I understand what you mean. I usually don't do much notation stuff and for what I need it (quick notes for small ideas), Noteflight is sufficient.
The more it stays the same, the less it changes
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Interesting idea...thanks for the post!