Playing TEF files?

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Fozzy
Established Member

Playing TEF files?

Post by Fozzy »

I have used the proprietary tablature editor TablEdit in Windows for some years and have quite a few of its .tef files. I also frequent the Banjo Hangout site where tabs are frequently exchanged in the .tef format.

Now that I have migrated to Linux, TablEdit is only available as a Windows application using WINE which is far from satisfactory. I am looking for an alternative application that runs natively on Linux.

I see that MuseScore 2.0 Beta 2 can now handle tablature. Both applications can open and save MusicXML files. This looks like the way forward.

I see that GuitarTux (which can open .tef files) is no longer being developed and the fork appears to be dormant.

I would welcome suggestions about any other applications that can handle these files.

I am very much an advocate of libre software and want to end reliance on proprietary applications.
Acoustic and electric guitar, 5-string banjo, mandolin, midi keyboard.

Ubuntu Studio 21.10. Qtractor DAW.

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen, Fender Mustang GT-200 and Vox AD50VT modelling amps. M-Audio Keystation 88 II.
lazyklimm
Established Member

Re: Playing TEF files?

Post by lazyklimm »

GuitarTux (which can open .tef files) is no longer being developed
it is, but slowly. Anyway, old version works fine for me.