Impro-visor, Qsynth and JACK

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Aleks
Established Member

Impro-visor, Qsynth and JACK

Post by Aleks »

Hello! Is there a way to connect Impro-visor, Qsynth and JACK, so that I could play along with Rakarrack simultaneously? In TuxGuitar there is a plugin that makes Qsynth recognizable, but in Impro-visor I see only Gervill in MIDI settings.
varpa
Established Member

Re: Impro-visor, Qsynth and JACK

Post by varpa »

You need to make virtual midi ports to get midi in Improvisor which you create with command: sudo modprobe snd-virmidi (this requires that your kernel has a virmidi module built for it). This will create a bunch of "Virtual Raw" alsa midi ports (in QJackCtl Alsa tab). These virtual ports are visible to Impro-visor in Preferences->Midi.
Aleks
Established Member

Post by Aleks »

I tried that, but when I make the connection to the virtual midi channels in Impro-visor the whole system freezes and I have to restart it manually.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Obviously, the virtual midi ports are not working on your system, but can work, I tested on AVLinux 6.0.3 when I wrote my first reply and it worked fine. Unfortunately, I am not sure to suggest to you. Perhaps you could try rebuilding the virmidi module or try a different kernel.
Aleks
Established Member

Post by Aleks »

EDIT:

After a new install of my system, now it works. I tried Band In A Box some week ago on Windows, and I got to say, I prefer Impro-Visor with Linux Sampler. Much simpler, straight forward and more useful to me. And free, alright :D