Bug or no Bug(report)

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Bug or no Bug(report)

Post by studio32 »

Maybe we can bundle power and help each other with figuring out if a failure in a (audio)app is a bug or not and to report a bugreport and maybe confirm it.

Also we could make feature suggestions together
Last edited by studio32 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
studio32

Re: Bug or no Bug

Post by studio32 »

It must not be difficult do it right, but it is very annoying that apps like vlc, audacity and rezound only show up in qjackctl when they play...

Alsaplayer is a lot better in here, but doesn't have the tools which rezound and audacity have...

How can we solve this stupid problem?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

studio32 wrote:Maybe we can bundle power and help each other with figuring out if a failure in a (audio)app is a bug or not and to report a bugreport and maybe confirm it.

Also we could make feature suggestions together
I wholeheartedly agree.

The most convenient way to do this, I think, is to just open a normal topic for each 'issue', and after we figure out what the problem was, submit bug reports or feature requests as needed.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

studio32 wrote:It must not be difficult do it right, but it is very annoying that apps like vlc, audacity and rezound only show up in qjackctl when they play...
Why is this a problem? Because you have to `rewire' the applications each time they've disappeared and appeared?

One `solution' would be to modify all those apps and make them register at startup and unregister at shutdown, instead of on play/stop. This might be quite a challenge.

Another `solution' would be to use jack.plumbing (or a GUI for it) to automatically manage your connections as applications enter/leave jack.

I think I'd prefer the latter.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

raboof wrote: I wholeheartedly agree.

The most convenient way to do this, I think, is to just open a normal topic for each 'issue', and after we figure out what the problem was, submit bug reports or feature requests as needed.
Ok, maybe it is a good plan to make clear that the topic deals about a issue or bug:

So let say, put [issue] before it...