Are you visiting LAC 2010?

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Are you visiting LAC 2010?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 6

autostatic
Established Member

Re: Are you visiting LAC 2010?

Post by autostatic »

Hello Pablo, what made you decide not to go? I do have some criticism on the program also.

Updated list (28-04-2010)

- studio32
- Louigi Verano
- AutoStatic
- Yeri
- raboof
- pianolivier
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Hmm I think I skip the last day.. all though the disadvantage might be to have to leave relative early with the train from the sound-night...
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Hi Auto,

I didn't mean to criticize the program. Sorry for my broken English.
In fact, I think the program is very interesting. You are going to have a
very good time and learn a lot with other linux musicians and developers.

I am not going in the end because I have to work on Monday and Tuesday.

Cheers! Pablo
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

Hey guys!

Very bad news from me - I failed to receive visa in time. Tomorrow embassy of Netherlands is not working since it has national holiday. We could've gotten our visas today, but they did not make it. The embassy said they will issue our visas only 6-7th of May.

Not only I am saddened by the fact that I will not meet all of you, I am also very much ashamed that my not going spoils the schedule of planned installations, for which by the way I have been preparing for a long time.

Louigi.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Pfieuw, bad news. You asked it too late? How does that work with visa's? No one in The Netherlands can do something for you, like the organisators of LAC?
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

I wrote them but I doubt it. Yes, we asked for it rather late but there was nothing we could do. My wife was waiting for her international passport and it was ready last week. Instantly we applied. But it turns out it was late. We lost quite some money on tickets too which were already booked and payed for.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

So, what did we think of it? It was cool to meet studio32 and raboof but I haven't met any of the others (Yeri, pianolivier). I had a great time listening to all the devs of the software I use and like so much. Isn't it amazing to go to a conference where major developers and end-users are attending workshops and presentations together?
I especially liked the Ambisonics workshop of Jörn Nettingsmeier, which he actually did kind of together with Fons Adriaensen, and the presentation of Fernando Lopez-Lescano on the OpenMixer set-up at Stanton University. And the meeting on the future of LAC, Malte Steiner bashing Apple, Jörn Nettingsmeier building bridges and taking them down again, Fons Adriaensen making it crystal clear what it's all about and Rui Nuno Capela modestly and quietly sitting back in his chair. Studio32, you had the chance to talk to him, he seems a really nice guy actually, like all the devs if you ask me. I would've loved to talk to the guy but I didn't spot him earlier. And wasn't it weird seeing Lennart Poettering defending PulseAudio almost like a politician? With Pieter Palmers from FFADO wholeheartedly disagreeing?
Yeah, I had a great weekend. Learned a lot, but I also learned that I already know so much about all Linux audio related stuff, both on the technical and the practical side. I wanted to do a presentation this year but because I'm about to become a dad I didn't contribute anything. Maybe next year, but it depends where LAC2011 will be held. Probably in Europe again, possible candidates that were mentioned were Graz, Paris, Lyon and Parma. I'd like to do a presentation on the practical use of Linux audio software, but not like Lieven Moors did it. That was an overview of the possibilities and I want to focus on how to use these possibilities in a music production.
The organisation also mentioned engaging communities like LinuxMusicians. They would like to see and hear more music, products and concerts actually made with Linux. That part was now too much filled in with stuff made on Macs. And they really want to hear something else than electro-acoustic stuff, but more poprock and dance orientated stuff.

There were some drawbacks of course, first of all the Mac controversy as pointed out by Malte Steiner and second, unsurprisingly for me, the little number of end-users attending the conference, especially the Dutch ones. I've asked studio32 about it and we both agreed that there are like 5 people actively working with Linux audio over here. So it's all about awareness (quoting Malte Steiner again), we should work on that, getting more people to know and like making music with Linux. Next year I don't want to be the only one that's dragging around his mobile gear, next year I want to do something with it!
Last edited by autostatic on Fri May 07, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

I would love to meet Rui.

As for using Linux for actual music production, I'm proud to be one of those who does something with Linux, not just talks about it. In fact, I have no Windows machines anymore, not even at work, and I'v never owned a Mac (nor do I plan to).

So if next year I'll be able to attend, I'd love to do something.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

It was very inspiring to me and I met some kind people in real life, like Raboof and Autostatic (among others).

For us users, more input from linux musicians would be good I think. We (LAU, LM, Linuxmao etc) could organize workshops and live concerts, so LAC becomes also more interesting for the musicians who use or want to use Linux for their music.
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

I plan to submit an article on two precisely musician-oriented. I would like to talk to beginner musicians and tell them a bit about Linux and music on Linux and also share some experience on doing live performances with Linux.