MIDI timing in a non-realtime kernel

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

angelsguitar
Established Member

MIDI timing in a non-realtime kernel

Post by angelsguitar »

Hi. I'm currently using Rosegarden in Mepis 7. I have 64studio too for recording, and works great with my Audigy 2 ZS card, but would like to be able to just play MIDI in Mepis 7, using Qsynth as a soundfont player, without Jack. The problem is; since it doesn't have an rt kernel, it shows the following message everytime I launch it:
Rosegarden was unable to find a high-resolution timing source for MIDI performance.
This may mean you are using a Linux system with the kernel timer resolution set too low. Please contact your Linux distributor for more information.
I know this is because I'm not using a realtime kernel. At the moment, all my midi sequences run fine, but have noticed some weird timing in the faster ones. Very subtle though, but i know it should not happen.

How do I get rid of this message, and stabilize the MIDI timing? What customizations, if any, can I do to my system to run better MIDI? I know you can set Rosegarden to sync to the system timer, RTC timer and other options available, but I don't know which is the recommended option in this case, where an rt kernel is not available. I don't want to use Jack, as I'm only using MIDI in this case. For audio work I already have 64Studio installed in another partition. Just want to be able to playback my MIDI sequences with Rosegarden and Qsynth without problems.

Thanks in advance.
raboof
Established Member

Re: MIDI timing in a non-realtime kernel

Post by raboof »

If Mepis doesn't come with a kernel suitable for audio work, you could compile your own. A quick google yielded http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/ ... new_kernel

If i recall correctly, there's a setting under 'Processor type and features' which you can set to 1000hz to get rid of the Rosegarden warning. I'm not entirely sure that'll fix the timing issues you're having, but it's worth a shot.