/etc/security/limits.conf

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

/etc/security/limits.conf

Post by studio32 »

Code: Select all

@audio - rtprio 90
@audio - nice -5
@audio - memlock 750000
This is my /etc/security/limits.conf now, but I have the feeling that it causes a lot of crashes (the system hold).. What is the logic about this file and how do you edit it for your specific system requirements?
brummer

Post by brummer »

I have set my /etc/security/limits.conf like that:

@audio           -       rtprio          99
@audio           -       memlock         unlimited
@audio           -       nice            -10
The logic is: rtprio say witch prio level is allow to the user to use. That meens also all applications you start as user. With this settings you can run jack_watchdog with rt -99 . That is fine. 99 meens the highest priorität.

memlock meens the Memory witch a aplication can look for his owne use. this is importent for realtimetreads, because it needs time to find information in shared memory.

nice , that mean's the nicelevel that you, as user, not as root can acces to get more Processor time and faster acces to it. But normal you dont need to use that,

regards brummer
studio32

Post by studio32 »

brummer wrote:I have set my /etc/security/limits.conf like that:

@audio           -       rtprio          99
@audio           -       memlock         unlimited
@audio           -       nice            -10
The logic is: rtprio say witch prio level is allow to the user to use. That meens also all applications you start as user. With this settings you can run jack_watchdog with rt -99 . That is fine. 99 meens the highest priorität.
Thanks Brummer!
What is exactly jack_watchdog?
Does rtprio affect the performance of other non-audio apps or your system?
memlock meens the Memory witch a aplication can look for his owne use. this is importent for realtimetreads, because it needs time to find information in shared memory.
This affect the performance of other apps isn't it?
nice , that mean's the nicelevel that you, as user, not as root can acces to get more Processor time and faster acces to it. But normal you dont need to use that,
Ok, this point is clear
brummer

Post by brummer »

Hello
What is exactly jack_watchdog?
It is a part of jackd watch out for treads witch comunicate with jackd. If a tread run out of time or harm the data flow of jack, it will be killd from the dog. That's jack's watchdog, and it will be a good area for him to run on top of the system to watch out for truble. :lol:
You can see him when you have start jackd and watch `htop` in a terminal, there is on tread from jackd have a priority 10 points higher then the settings you have made in qjackctl. That is the watchdog. The tread with the priority level that you have selceted in qjackctl is the audiotread.
Does rtprio affect the performance of other non-audio apps or your system?
To give a clear answer (oh my english . . . hope you understand) is JEIN.
As long you dont start any audio application witch will have acces to the sched_fifo (that is the rt-class), this settings affect nothing. It is a posibility you give yourself, it meens not that a application must use it, but it can . . . and if one application is runing in the sched_fifo, all other applications have to wait.
The same is true for the memlock, you can give a limit for the use of memlock, ore you can give it free for the best results, that meen's unlimited. This way every application (rt-audio) can make the best from what it found. If a application use memlock, this memory cant be use from other application's, that meens clear yes, it affect other applications, but if you dont run a rt-audio application, it affect nothing.
And this settings will have the same results with a non rt-kernel.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Ok, thanks! I think your English will improve much if you're typing more and more on this forum ;) And mine is not good either...

I think I will try your settings and experience which works better for me. Thanks for your explanation :)