Fastest File system

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

goodvibrations1984
Established Member

Fastest File system

Post by goodvibrations1984 »

Hi

I'm tunning my system for best performance possible for audio production. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on a 160gb hd. I have another 500gb hd on my machine just for samples. This will be used just for read samples and I'm wondering what could be the faster file system for the purpose. In the system hd I use ext4 that is secure and fast. But just for read the samples can something be faster? Samples files aren't bigger than 4gb, usually a lot of files which together raise 30, 50gb per library.
Att
José Sousa
Audio and Music Producer
Porto Alegre - RS - Brazil
studio32

Re: Fastest File system

Post by studio32 »

ext4 is good normally. Use noatime, see WIKI system configuration.
mixtape
Established Member

Post by mixtape »

And from the wiki...
For audio use, it is desirable to use a filesystem that favours few big files over many small files and low-latency over long-term thoughput.

It is said that ReiserFS and fuseblk are bad choices from this perspective, while ext3 is good. ext4 is not recommended with kernels >= 2.6.32 because of possible regression issues.

In any case, it is advisable to mount filesystems with the noatime option enabled.
-mixtape
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

I never had any trouble with audio and Reiserfs. However for newer setups I'd look at XFS, JFS and like. From what I have seen I'm thinking about XFS for my new 4.5TB raid array.