Windows, Wine, Jack audio server or wineasio?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Codesound
Established Member

Windows, Wine, Jack audio server or wineasio?

Post by Codesound »

Hi,

I'm new here and on LINUX MUSIC WORLD. I use linux Mint 19.02_x64 Cinnamom and I would like to use this distro for my audio works. BUT I need help.
I would like to install all Windows programs under wine and them use one method (Jack audio server or wineasio?) to comunicate with the low latency driver for a real-time audio processing using my soundcard (RME UCX in class compilant mode). but I don't wnow if it's is possible....

I tryed to install QjackCtl but when I open Reaper under wine (for example), this doesn't appear in the QjackCtl patch bay list.
What I wrong?
Exist one best way?

thanks guys....
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Windows, Wine, Jack audio server or wineasio?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Codesound wrote:[...] when I open Reaper under wine [...]
Why don't you use the Linux version of Reaper?
Codesound
Established Member

Post by Codesound »

Hi,

yes I use the Reaper Linux version, but I wondered if it is possible to use only windows programs under wine with the low latency driver using Jack...

thanks....
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

If you want to replicate your Windows workflow on Linux . . . then why don't you just use Windows? My Linux migration took a few years, and I picked up one Linux audio tool after another. My DAW stayed on Windows for a while, but I started using Hydrogen and then LMMS on Linux before finally taking the plunge on the Linux DAW.

If you really want to migrate to Linux, then cross-platform tools that you may already be familiar with (like Reaper) are probably the best place for you to start. Other cross-platform tools include Hydrogen, Audacity, JACK, Ardour. It's a pretty good list.

Running all of your Windows stuff under Wine is probably going to be a pain in the neck, so you're better off using native Linux tools as much as possible. I would suggest doing a test run of some Linux plugins, like Calf plugins, the LSP set, and the x42-plugins.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Codesound wrote:Hi,

yes I use the Reaper Linux version, but I wondered if it is possible to use only windows programs under wine with the low latency driver using Jack...

thanks....
I hear you. But: what @Milo said.

Considering using Windows' apps inWine: some work better than others. I'd say that someting as complicated as audio and DAW's won't run well. Simple single window utilities sometimes will however. Microsoft Word 2007 will run but anything MS Office newer might not.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Codesound wrote: I would like to install all Windows programs under wine and them use one method (Jack audio server or wineasio?) to comunicate with the low latency driver for a real-time audio processing using my soundcard (RME UCX in class compilant mode). but I don't wnow if it's is possible....
If windows programs would have jack-support, then I suppose that would be easy. However, I don't think there would be many windows programs with jack support.

So it leaves wineasio. Haven't used it, but I suppose it works, but haven't tested myself.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Codesound
Established Member

Post by Codesound »

Hi,

I honestly wondered if installing audio jacks in windows (with wine) and Qjacksctl (Linux), the two could see and communicate audio / midi data streams. This would simplify the audio setup by having windows software ONLY ... Consider the fact of bridging between vst for example ...

thanks for now....