SOLVED: cdemu and cd players

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

retnev
Established Member

SOLVED: cdemu and cd players

Post by retnev »

I am in the process to convert all my cds to images and then make them available through cdemu for cd and audio players to play them.

I got it working great with Clementine and had excellent cross-cd playlists etc, but a stupid update uninstalled something which I cannot find what it is.
So clementine cant play the cdemu virtual cdroms anymore.

My question is as follows:
Clementine was the only player I could find that pl;ays virtual cdroms.
The problem is I now need another player that can play virtual cds so I can figure out where the problem lies.

I tried rhytmbox, it doesnt really work and didnt work when Clementine work3ed with the virtual cds.
Same with mplayer etc.
Anyone know of an application that will play virtual cds. The Virtual CDS are shown in my file manager so they are cre3ated, but I have nothing to oppen them and test them.

Thanks
Last edited by retnev on Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: cdemu and cd players

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Maybe Kodi mediacenter. I don't think you'll like this remark but couldn't you convert said audio CD's to the lossless but compressed audio format called "flac"? Many players will accept such files. And: it's a lossless format so the files are exact copies of the original.
retnev
Established Member

Post by retnev »

Thank you very much, I would really like to try it but currently have an unresolvable issue on Debian.
I will try it once I resolve the contingency error, but it looks like a nice program

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kodi : Depends: kodi-bin (>= 2:17.6+dfsg1-1~mx17+1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kodi-bin (< 2:17.6+dfsg1-1~mx17+1.1~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

No offense. I have hundreds of my cds I am transferring. I prefer hard iso cd images above rips, as I can always immediately burn a CD again, and transparently listen and mix and match from the isos without ripping anything. Extremely efficient and practical. Files of audio files becomes a liability and space hog.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I think deadbeef can play Isos.
retnev
Established Member

Post by retnev »

sysrqr

Youre the man.!

I installed deadbeef long ago and I couldnt get it to p-lay isos, now it just plays them with impunity.
Pity it doesnt update the metadata, so you dont have the song names as in clementine.

Since all my isos play great in deadbeef, the problem is clearly with Clementine. Thanks a lot !
So my cdemu installation is unaffected. I can now squarely blame Clementine.

If I now only can get Deadbeef to read the CD track metadata and name the songs, then I will move over to it.
As it is more rugged.

In case you are aware how to get the metadata read please let me know otherwise I will try a deadbeef usergroup.

Thanks for solving my problem. I now know squarely where the problem lies.... Clementine which suddenly decided it cannot read the contents of the isos.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Cool, well that's progres at least! I know it can read and display metadata but it's been a while since I've used an iso so I'm not sure what the problem might be. Do you have the deadbeef plugins installed?
retnev
Established Member

Re: SOLVED: cdemu and cd players

Post by retnev »

I could get it to work finally reading metadata
I had to go to preferences, Audio CD Player, then change settings to checkboxes 1,3,4 checked and 2 unchecked. Then it worked.

Well thanks again for pointing me to Deadbeef.
I am ditching Clementine and move over, Deadbeef just way more stable than Clementine.
I have a lot of playlists to convert but it is worth it.
After I figured out Design mode it is really great now and it does everything clementine does and more.