Jack setup issueswith some software

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

khz
Established Member

Re: Jack setup issueswith some software

Post by khz »

By the way: I think it's a pity that Pulseaudio (in the distributions) has become established and not jackd, klang http://klang.eudyptula.org/ would have been even better.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

khz wrote:By the way: I think it's a pity that Pulseaudio (in the distributions) has become established and not jackd
I'm not so sure, I think they both have their uses: for example, JACK forces all applications to use the same sample rate. Because sample rate conversions impact both latency and sound quality, this is a good thing when you are doing audio work: you want to put effort into making all your software use the same sample rate, and if you must do sample rate conversion, you make a conscious choice about where and how.

In contrast, if you just want to watch youtube and hear sound effects, you don't care. So all applications talking to PulseAudio, I expect, can just use whatever sample rate they like and pulseaudio will convert as necessary, since this is fine for 'casual' audio.

A similar thing goes for mixing: when combining multiple audio streams when doing audio work, you want to be careful about how you actually do this. For casual audio, it's fine if PulseAudio does a best-effort thing.

That said, it would have been nice if we could have converged on a common system serving both use cases. But in their current forms I think JACK is a poor fit for casual users just as PulseAudio is a poor fit for more 'serious' audio work.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

I run all the time setup where pulse is routed thru jack, so I have best of both worlds all the time, without switching anything in any place.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

If I had Pulseaudio installed, I would do it the same way.
But I don't see any point in installing a LAW 2 sound server and losing computing power and possibly stability.
It would be so nice if the distributions offered jack as an option. All programs, for example Firefox, would be built with jack again. All you have to do is set a USE Flags (pulseaudio/jack).
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
gunga
Established Member

Post by gunga »

tavasti wrote:I run all the time setup where pulse is routed thru jack, so I have best of both worlds all the time, without switching anything in any place.
How do you set this up?

Cheers
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

gunga wrote:
tavasti wrote:I run all the time setup where pulse is routed thru jack, so I have best of both worlds all the time, without switching anything in any place.
How do you set this up?

Cheers
With pulseaudio-module-jack it is easiest to do. See https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio. ... ulseOnJack

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Post by nikgnomicradio »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Pulse won't work w/ Jack. Because you have to choose between Jack or Pulse
Just not true
pulseaudio-module-jack as already mentioned will allow use of both audio servers

the commands i posted before work to add Pulseaudio connections for a single JACK session

For regular Pulseaudio connections to JACK, using JACK with D-Bus automatically deals with any conflict over audio devices and creates the Pulseaudio sink/source connections. (pulseaudio module-jackdbus-detect)

It wasn't always this simple with earlier versions of Pulseaudio so it did become a thing for many to kill Pulseaudio to use JACK

Firefox JACK support has not been suitable for my needs. JACK connections are not persistent and connect by default to 'system'
Firefox audio stream is not persistent in Pulseaudio either, but the connection from Pulseaudio to JACK is fixed
i prefer having everything in JACK to sit still and whatever may bounce in or out of Pulseaudio is hidden to not distract
gunga
Established Member

Post by gunga »

nikgnomicradio wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:Pulse won't work w/ Jack. Because you have to choose between Jack or Pulse
Just not true
pulseaudio-module-jack as already mentioned will allow use of both audio servers

the commands i posted before work to add Pulseaudio connections for a single JACK session

For regular Pulseaudio connections to JACK, using JACK with D-Bus automatically deals with any conflict over audio devices and creates the Pulseaudio sink/source connections. (pulseaudio module-jackdbus-detect)

It wasn't always this simple with earlier versions of Pulseaudio so it did become a thing for many to kill Pulseaudio to use JACK

Firefox JACK support has not been suitable for my needs. JACK connections are not persistent and connect by default to 'system'
Firefox audio stream is not persistent in Pulseaudio either, but the connection from Pulseaudio to JACK is fixed
i prefer having everything in JACK to sit still and whatever may bounce in or out of Pulseaudio is hidden to not distract
What browser do you use? Firefox?
nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Post by nikgnomicradio »

gunga wrote: What browser do you use? Firefox?
Mostly Firefox, but I also use Chromium

Stock Pulseaudio is not a good fit alongside JACK
but I have it re-configured to have no contact with ALSA and settings locked to same as JACK