no audio over HDMI

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

no audio over HDMI

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

I don't know why I can't get audio out from HDMI. I've used various USB soundcards, all good. I *USED* to be able to get HDMI audio on this same laptop... but that was with KXStudio. Now I'm using AVLinux.

When I used KXStudio and Cadence, HDMI was one of the obvious options in "Configure." Now on AVLinux, in QJackCtl, I've selected Interface: hw:PCH,0, and, in the "Advanced" tab, checked "Duplex Mode" and then set the Output Device to hw:PCH,3 (for HDMI).... and then I get no sound.

I'm wondering if it's possibly a hardware issue, perhaps a difference between Debian (AVL) and Ubuntu (KXStudio). (for instance, I also can't do two-finger scroll on this touchpad, which did work with KXStudio.) How would I track that down? Or does it sound like a normal settings issue? I've spent a few hours trying different combinations, but I'm really kinda shooting in the dark here. Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed!

Code: Select all

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC270 Analog [ALC270 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: pcsp [pcsp], device 0: pcspeaker [pcsp]
  Subdevices: 0/1
Jack Winter
Established Member

Re: no audio over HDMI

Post by Jack Winter »

Try alsamixer to see if something is muted?
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

Shoot... you were right! (I mean, thanks!) That's also, amusingly enough, the same advice I gave someone else on this forum the day I posted MY problem.... Hah!

I had previously looked using QasMixer, because I thought it had all the same controls as alsa-mixer. But it doesn't! In alsa-mixer (but not QasMixer) there's a "S/PDIF" with a mute/unmute (but no volume)... and THAT, apparently, is the route to the HDMI. So, I unmuted it, and it works now! Thanks again.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

You're welcome.

It's an easy thing to overlook, especially since you might only have to do it once on a new install.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux