Need some basic input/output assistance

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AdamBlack
Established Member

Need some basic input/output assistance

Post by AdamBlack »

Hello again! I was here back in August. All the equipment and instruments are here and I've been practicing a lot. And now I'd like to fiddle around with Rakarrack and Guitarix, but I can't get the sound to come out of the speakers.

Jack is installed; using Qjackctl for that, although it's becoming obvious I'm not using it right.

Using a Behringer U-Phoria UM2 between the guitar and the computer, but when I plug that in (USB) it steals the output from my computer's speakers. I even tested this by playing some .ogg files through Audacious. Playback is normal until I plug in the UM2, then my speakers go mute.

Qjackctl gives me input 1 and input 2, as well as playback 1 and playback 2 as my connection choices, but no combination of connections returns control of my output to my computer speakers.

I would've come across this issue sooner, but as soon as the equipment got here, all I did to test the connections was to record some guitar playing through Audacity, which worked. I thought, "great! It works!" and then started practicing guitar and never plugged it back in until today.

Is there a simple step I'm missing?
finotti
Established Member

Re: Need some basic input/output assistance

Post by finotti »

You should use the outputs of your interface, as that is what Jack probably is using.

It's better not to mix input/output from different interfaces, so I'd just recommend to forget about the soundcard and stick with USB interface. (At least, that was what worked best for me...)
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Same answer here : plug your monitors to the Uphoria and forget your audio interface. But in this case you have to configure all your audio programs to use jack, even your players.
AdamBlack
Established Member

Post by AdamBlack »

Thanks for the answers! So how do I go about setting things up so I can use Guitarix or Rakarrack, then?
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

AdamBlack wrote:Thanks for the answers! So how do I go about setting things up so I can use Guitarix or Rakarrack, then?
Did you plug your speakers to the interface? Does it work now?

If so and you have jack running (using Qjackctl, as you mentioned) you can just install and run them.

If something is not working, you need to give more details...