[SOLVED] Alternatives to GRUB Customizer?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

protozone
Established Member

[SOLVED] Alternatives to GRUB Customizer?

Post by protozone »

Can anybody recommend me a decent alternative to GRUB Customizer?
I used to use it while on MX Linux, but I have since moved away from MX Linux due to system bloat.
I no longer use MX Linux at all, though it was a fun alternative to the others for a while.

I have a working system, but I need to edit the boot menu to be quicker to access and more user-friendly for myself and less user-friendly for anybody else.

Because of security holes in PuppyLinux, I don't want to always rely upon GRUB4DOS.

Thanks in advance. Can ya help?
Last edited by protozone on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta
Established Member

Re: Alternatives to GRUB Customizer?

Post by Lyberta »

If you have an UEFI PC, you can try rEFInd instead of GRUB. When I was setting up a fully encrypted dual boot system, I've spent days wrestling with GRUB configs and never getting where I wanted. I eventually tried rEFInd and had my wanted setup in about an hour. I'm never going back to GRUB.
protozone
Established Member

Rub a dub GRUB

Post by protozone »

Wow. Lyberta, thanks very much.
Your experience that you briefly described sounds familiar to some stuff I've been through too.
It's funny how some stuff is just really labor-intensive and high maintennance, and then other stuff in comparison is just a heckuvalot simpler!
Thanks for pointing me in a better direction. I appreciate your help.

I will perhaps give it a try.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

I'd add my vote for rEFInd too. It's what I use on my uefi machines too.

It's way better (IMO) than grub... Note that you don't really have to use all the crazy grub 2.0 stuff, you can more or less make a simple grub 1.0 config file and still use that, this isn't quite evident from the documentation though..
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

Jack Winter wrote:I'd add my vote for rEFInd too. It's what I use on my uefi machines too.

It's way better (IMO) than grub... Note that you don't really have to use all the crazy grub 2.0 stuff, you can more or less make a simple grub 1.0 config file and still use that, this isn't quite evident from the documentation though..
Thanks J, I appreciate it.
Would you happen to know if it's compatible with MBR-BIOS booting?
I am reluctant to dabble too much in UEFI stuff unless I need to.
Also I couldn't find rEFInd within my repos, and for some odd reason I didn't get much results via search engines either.
(That happens to me from time to time, it's a search engine "cookie monster" thing.)
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

As the name rEFInd indicates it's for booting from EFI, not MBR.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

protozone
Established Member

Post by protozone »

hey thanks.
ironically, it turns out that grub customizer is available for my distro too.
i just didn't notice it at first.
but i might try refind anyhow.
thanks again.