Poll: What samplerate do you use with jack?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

What samplerate do you use with jack?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:45 am

34%
60%
No votes
3%
other
3%

Total votes: 35

bluebell
Established Member

Poll: What samplerate do you use with jack?

Post by bluebell »

It seems that some hard- and software works best with 48000. But then it's a bit cumbersome to create FLAC/mp3 with 44100. So I am interested what's your everyday samplerate is.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

rghvdberg
Established Member

Re: Poll: What samplerate do you use with jack?

Post by rghvdberg »

I never tested if it works really better with 44 or 48.
Only using internal soundcard btw.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

bluebell wrote:It seems that some hard- and software works best with 48000. But then it's a bit cumbersome to create FLAC/mp3 with 44100. So I am interested what's your everyday samplerate is.
I simply exported a file done in 48khz as mp3 in Reaper and it sounds absolutely ok. What's the problem?
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

lilith wrote:
bluebell wrote:It seems that some hard- and software works best with 48000. But then it's a bit cumbersome to create FLAC/mp3 with 44100. So I am interested what's your everyday samplerate is.
I simply exported a file done in 48khz as mp3 in Reaper and it sounds absolutely ok. What's the problem?
I record songs in realtime: Qtractor plays, Audacity records. This works perfectly even with complex bus layouts.
If jackd doesn't run at 44100 then I have to remember to set the project samplerate in Audacity to 44100 before exporting FLAC and mp3. I am not sure if a FLAC or mp3 plays correcly in all players if it's coded with 48000.

BTW I noticed that with complex songs with many plugins the increased samplerate of 48000 uses a bit more CPU and might require the next bigger buffer size in jackd to avoid xruns.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

bluebell wrote:I am not sure if a FLAC or mp3 plays correcly in all players if it's coded with 48000.
Audacity performs sample rate conversion so original sample rate doesn't matter when playback is concerned.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

48k.
because it's always possible to downsample when needed, but upsampling is pointless in terms of overall sound quality.
and because some of my equipment can't do 96k at all (due to hardware/software limitations) or without turning off some features (because higher sample rate requires extra DSP power).
in a perfect world, i would run everything at 96k.
on the other hand, 48k @ 24 bit sounds A LOT better than conventional 44k @ 16 bit. so, 24/48 is the reasonable tradeoff.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

if you do everything in software — it's no problem to run everything in 96k. in the days of software-only setup i did just the same.
things go complicated if you turn to the hardware side of the force.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

my live setup does not have a DAW at all :mrgreen: since i don't like single-point-of-failure kind of setups of whatever.
all recording is done in hardware (and then gets imported to Harrison Mixbus, but mixing / mastering stages are completely another story.)
so, the choice is 48k + hardware EQ + hardware FX vs 96k / EQ off / FX off. i sacrificed higher sample rate for keeping my setup simple and portable.
and jack is bind to the hardware sample rate.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

42low wrote:The adviced and proven best quality for the hearing is about 90 khz
Total bullshit. Most humans can't hear more than 20kHz. My hearing ends at about 17 kHz. So 40kHz sampling rate is enough to cover all of the human hearing.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

If you mix, say, a 45kHz and a 45.1kHz tone, it will produce audible side bands, and these should survive a mixdown to a lower sample rate like 44.1kHz. So the contents of recordings of higher sample rates will add something to the mix and the process. I usually record at 48kHz, but also have projects recorded at 96kHz, and I wish I could have selected both in the poll. 48 sounds better that 44.1.
There is no doubt that Guitarix sounds better at 48kHz that at 44.1. I can’t seem to get my Quattro card to operate at 96 in and out, but I am sure it will sound even better. However some Guitarix plug-ins don’t (or didn’t?) function correctly at 96, so there is a case that not all software is available at 96.
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

My interface is hardwired to 48k so that is what I use.
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

48 kHz here, because I trust antialiasing algorithms in the synths and effects I use :D
42low wrote:Why not use 22khz stereo then? Which also covers the full hearing ranges? :wink:
It doesn't, as per the sampling theorem it can only reproduce frequencies up to 11kHz :wink:
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

42low wrote:I didn't know jack couldn't go higher than the hardware. Sorry. :?
Indeed i get options up to 192kh (equal to my hardware max specs). Unknown to me if this is standard options for QjackCTL or if this is (my) hardware bounded.
even if you set, say, 96k in the settings, but hardware only does 48k, jack will then start at 48k.
as for my setup, Zoom L-12 can do 96k, but in this mode onboard DSP FX and EQ are unavailable.
could be used for conventional studion recording workflow, but since i do a lot of improvisations, the point is recording each and every live & rehearsal session, where use of onboard FX and EQ is necessary.
this kind of devices (hardware-only multichannel recorders) evolves slower than regular audio interaces. 96k option appeared on such devices less than a couple of years ago.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

48k.
because it's always possible to downsample when needed, but upsampling is pointless in terms of overall sound quality.
Upsampling a master would indeed be pointless. But suppose the recorded material is at a low rate and resolution, such as 16/44.1. (I have such recordings from the 90´ies). My original mix from those days were done at 44.1 (and I believe internally in Cubase at 32-bit floating point). The resulting master was also 16/44.1.
But if all the basic tracks were upsampled to 32/96 and mixed in this domain, using plug-ins running 32/96 etc. and the master eventually downsampled to 16/44.1, then the resulting master would most likely sound a lot better than the original mix, even though both are 16/44.1. This because the processing works on the individual details of each track and the interaction between tracks is calculated at a higher precision.
I haven’t done this yet, but I did find the original tracks from my original backup CDRs to try this exercise. And so also another vote for backing up everything!!!
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

Frank Carvalho wrote:...But if all the basic tracks were upsampled to 32/96 and mixed in this domain, using plug-ins running 32/96 etc. and the master eventually downsampled to 16/44.1, then the resulting master would most likely sound a lot better than the original mix, even though both are 16/44.1
hmmm… interesting! will try to do it.