[SOLVED] audio crackling in duplex mode

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nixit
Established Member

Re: audio crackling in duplex mode

Post by nixit »

Pablo wrote:I think that it makes more sense for your use case if you use jack with the USB card (capture-only mode seems more adequate if the audio outputs are not in use) and the pulseaudio jack sink for the SB and I will try to explain the reason why.

I assume that the SB live has an internal mixer which alsa can access to, via alsamixer. It could even have more than one internal device in which case things would be more involved. In contrast, the USB card is simpler; it only has a duplex device so it is easy to get it up and running via jack.

The fact is that jack doesn't allow to touch the internal mixer whereas pulseadio does. So it is easy via pavucontrol or general sound configuration to make it work, rather than looking into internal devices and alsamixer, which is what jack understands.
@Pablo,

this is exactly what I'm trying to do, and so far not succeeding, no audio is played back in audacity. pulseaudio-jack is installed, and once I start jack2dus and go into qjackctl/connections, I can see the following:

Code: Select all

Readable Clients / Output Ports:
  Pulseaudio JACK Sink

System
  --capture_1
  --capture_1

Writeable Clients / Input Ports
PulseAudio JACK Source
  --front -center
  --front -left
  --front -right
  --lfe
  --rear-left
  --rear-right
There is a connections from capture_1 and _2 to front-left / -right.

Audio on my system works this way.

When I go to record from Audacity, I set up the following:

JACKAudio Connection Kit
mic: System (only way I can record)
playback: PulseAudio Jack Source (only option I have)

There is no audio when playing back the recorded track. I check the qjackctl connection window and I see Portaudio readable client make a connection to PulseAudio writable client., yet no sound.

I load pavucontrol thinking I would have to switch the playback to Pulse, but when playing back the recorded track, nothing is displayed in the Playback tab of pavucontrol.

I'm not sure how to get it to playback through pulse?

I even put the following in the execute script after startup:

zita-j2a -d hw:SB -c 6 -r 48000 &
which should have added a zita-bridge, but I don't see it in connections.

I know I'm doing some trivial thing incorrectly.

any help is appreciated.

--nixIT
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

@Pablo, his USB card is just a microphone, no outputs at all on it.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

My advice would be to leave PA out of it until you have figured out how to do this with JACK. It can only complicate things :)

Apart from checking that the audacious output goes to the zita client, you might have to run alsamixer to check the levels and that nothing is muted. Also check that zita-j2a really starts and gets the soundcard. Maybe pulseaudio is hogging it...
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
nixit
Established Member

Post by nixit »

Jack Winter wrote:@Pablo, his USB card is just a microphone, no outputs at all on it.
Actually, the USB is a scarlett 2i2, however I only use it for line in.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

hw:SB is equivalent to hw:SB,0 (card SB, device #0) but are you sure that hw:SB,0 is a playback device, in alsa's terms? To make sure, use this informative command:

arecord -l && aplay -l
zita-j2a doesn't work and I suspect it is because hw:SB,0 could be a capture only device. Does it appear in the list of hardware playback devices via the above command? Because, if not, you need to change the zita-j2a command to hw:SB,1 or some other device number.

I have never used the pulseaudio jack source but that will be useful when you have a non jack-aware application that capture sounds via pulseaudio, say, skype. I think it is not useful in your case. I think you need

(1) the pulseaudio jack sink connected to zita-j2a ports to get sound from "desktop" applications
(2) to connect the jack-aware application's outputs to the zita-j2a ports to get sound from "audio-production" applications

But then, again, it is very important to know something more about the SB's internal devices and mixer.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Then I misunderstood. In that case run JACK either on the hw:USB or hw:SB device, and connect the other's input/outputs (depending on what you want) with the zita utilities. No need to use only capture or playback for the device JACK is using. You might need to make connections in the qjackctl GUI, or do it from a script with the jack_connect utility. You might also need to use alsamixer to verify that nothing is muted or has it's volume turned down.

Do run the zita-ajbridge utilities in a terminal window, so that you see that they are working and if there is some terminal output before you stick them in a script or add them to qjackctl. Also something like zita-j2a -d hw:SB or zita-a2j -d hw:USB ought to be enough. AFAIK it picks up the rest of the settings from the running JACK server. You might need to add more parameters later to fine tune things, but to just get it working go with the simple...

Also leave pulseaudio out of it until you have the basic JACK setup that allows you to do what you want with audacious (or other JACK clients). Once you have it setup and working, then add pulseaudio to allow easy output from browsers, games etc to the soundcard you want to output to. We can cover that later, just concentrate on getting JACK and zita-ajbridge setup first.

At least my 2 cents :)
nixit
Established Member

Post by nixit »

@Pablo @Jack Winter

Thanx so much for helping. To follow Jack's suggestion I removed pulseaudio and all relevant files and rebooted. Alsa is up and running using the following ~/.asoundrc

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw           
    card 0
}
if I don't use the above ~/.asoundrc file, I alsa only sees 2 channels and not all 5.1.

@Pablo, here is the output you requested:

arecord -l && aplay -l
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 2: ALC892 Alt Analog [ALC892 Alt Analog]
card 2: USB [Scarlett 2i2 USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 2: USB [Scarlett 2i2 USB], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
I loaded qjackctl and verified the following:

Audio: capture only
interface: hw:USB
server prefix: jack_control start
Execute script after start: zita-j2a -d hw:SB -r 48000 &
hw:USB is my scarlett 2i2

I then ran jack_control start to launch jack2dbus. everything started correctly.
I then opened qjackctl connections window and saw the following:

Readable Clients
  -system
  ---capture_1
  ---capture_2

Writable Clients
    -zita-j2a
    ---playback_1
    ---playback_2
    ---playback_3
    ---playback_4
    ---playback_5
    ---playback_6
it appears that zita-bridge is loading. yay!

I launch audacity (not audacious) and have the following

Device toolbar: JACK Audio Connection Kit
mic: system
playback: zita-j2a
Everything appears to be set correctly. I press record and it's recording audio. I then playback the audio and BAM, audio! Audacity works

When recording and playing back, I can see a portaudio connection open in qjackctl connection window

I then launch ardour and can now record and playback, when doing so I see an Ardour connection open in qjackctl.

so it appears that everything works with Alsa... THANX!!!!!

How should we proceed with getting PulseAudio working for output? is zita-bridge still used when using pulseaudio?

--nixIT
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Good. This is the base setup where everything passes JACK. IMO you would only use pulseaudio to output audio from browsers/games/etc to jack and then let it play back on whatever sound card you want to.

IIRC you are on Archlinux so this ought to work out of the box.

Install pulseaudio and pulseaudio-jack and you ought to see pulseaudio in JACK too. You might have to use pavucontrol to disable all the soundcards so that JACK and zita can get access to them. After that when playing youtube in a browser you ought to see the program in pulseaudio and to able to send it to JACK. You might have to manually connect the pulse output to the right playback device in qjackctl.
nixit
Established Member

Post by nixit »

@jack winter

forgot to include this in last reply, do I still use zita-j2a when using pulse?
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Yes.

You run JACK on one soundcard and you use the zita utilities to connect another soundcard for either input or output. This is the basic sound setup around the JACK server.

If you want sound output from other programs that aren't JACK aware (like browsers, games, whatever), then you use pulseaudio to connect that to the JACK audio server.

So setup like this JACK is the soundserver that talks to your soundcards, and JACK clients (like audacity, etc) connects directly to it. Other programs that don't know how to use the JACK server directly pass their audio through the pulseaudio server.

There are many other possibilities, but this is what works best for me.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

My guess wasn't right because hw:SB,0 is, effectively, an analog playback device. So it's all right :D

Configuring the output of pulseaudio to the jack sink means that pulse's output audio signal can be connected to jack-audio writable clients, including the zita-j2a ports, which means the SB card in your case.

By using zita-j2a or alsa_out, your card gets sequestered by jack, so to speak and, afaik, pulseaudio can't connect to the SB directly and independently so you have to use the jack sink.

Cheers!
nixit
Established Member

Post by nixit »

@pablo @jack winter

Thanx again for your help.

I installed the pulseaudio packages, and tested to see if I had sound and what pavucontrol looked like. everything is cool. Output devices listed the SB interface and Input devices listed the Scarlett 2i2.

I launched qjackctl and left the config the same as it was for alsa only. Once I made the pulse-jack sink connections I had sound through a browser.

however, when I quick qjackctl which also stopped jack2dbus I have no sound. I open pavucontrol and under output devices the only entry is "Dummy output", and under the input tab I have nothing.

Under the configuration tab I have 3 devices:

HDA NVidia
profile: off

focusrite Scarlett 2i2
profile: analog input

Built-in Audio (the SB interface)
profile: Analog surround 5.1 output
Is it this hard to get configured for everyone else? I'm am at a loss why I'm having so many issues yet there's tons of people using pulse and jack.

I know where close and I must be missing something.

--nixIT
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

nixit wrote:@pablo @jack winter

Thanx again for your help.

I installed the pulseaudio packages, and tested to see if I had sound and what pavucontrol looked like. everything is cool. Output devices listed the SB interface and Input devices listed the Scarlett 2i2.

I launched qjackctl and left the config the same as it was for alsa only. Once I made the pulse-jack sink connections I had sound through a browser.

however, when I quick qjackctl which also stopped jack2dbus I have no sound. I open pavucontrol and under output devices the only entry is "Dummy output", and under the input tab I have nothing.

Under the configuration tab I have 3 devices:

HDA NVidia
profile: off

focusrite Scarlett 2i2
profile: analog input

Built-in Audio (the SB interface)
profile: Analog surround 5.1 output
Is it this hard to get configured for everyone else? I'm am at a loss why I'm having so many issues yet there's tons of people using pulse and jack.

I know where close and I must be missing something.

--nixIT
IMO, all of this is needlessly complicated, but once you have it setup it's easy to use. I think it would be much better if we had "raw" alsa, jack, and pulseaudio integrated in the kernel as a common interface with better integration and userspace tools, but for various reasons it can't really be done (yet maybe), and it wasn't done. So we have to be pragmatic and live with what we have...:)

If you stop JACK and run pavucontrol, you find the missing soundcards under Configuration? I don't know why they aren't available as sinks in pavucontrol. One problem might be that PA and JACK might fight about who gets access to the soundcard. In your case I don't think there will be a problem getting the soundcard that JACK wants from PA as you run JACK2-dbus and that will ask PA to release the soundcard. You might find though that you can't start the zita utilities on a specific card if you recently used it with PA. The reason being that PA still keeps it open and won't allow the zita utility to aquire it. One solution might be to run zita like this: "pasuspender -- zita-a2j/j2a". The reverse might also be true, that maybe PA can't use it if you still have the zita utility running? You probably have to kill that when you stop JACK.

In your case it got extra complicated as you wanted to use 2 soundcards and got somewhat sidetracked with that. I hope I have managed to at least start shining a light into the darkness :) I can understand the initial confusion though. Google isn't much help either as there is so much mis/old information turning up in searches..

My recommendation would be to always run JACK, unless you have a specific reason not to. I also use 2 soundcards, but I use my good soundcard with JACK and let PA output to the onboard one. But with pavucontrol I can easily switch playback to the better card. And using the excellent zita-njbridge I can even output to JACK servers running on my other computers, so I just switch output channels in my DAW, and output switches to the TV or laptop speakers, etc.

Note that my audio work gets done with JACK, and I only use PA for output from browsers, games, etc.
nixit
Established Member

Post by nixit »

@jack winter,
If you stop JACK and run pavucontrol, you find the missing soundcards under Configuration?
yes, the audio devices are listed under configuration in pavucontrol.
The reverse might also be true, that maybe PA can't use it if you still have the zita utility running? You probably have to kill that when you stop JACK.
I'm not sure how to stop the zita bridge after I close/stop qjackctl and jack2dbus
My recommendation would be to always run JACK, unless you have a specific reason not to. I also use 2 soundcards, but I use my good soundcard with JACK and let PA output to the onboard one. But with pavucontrol I can easily switch playback to the better card. And using the excellent zita-njbridge I can even output to JACK servers running on my other computers, so I just switch output channels in my DAW, and output switches to the TV or laptop speakers, etc.
this is the end result I am trying to achieve. the soundcard I want to use with JACK is my scarlett 2i2 (hw:usb) and the one I want to use with PA is my onboard (hw:sb).

When I ran my test and had sound, I didn't see a way to change playback within pavucontrol. I must not have something configured right. I am using the default PA install, with no custom config changes. Is there a config setting I'm missing?

I do not have a ~/.asoundrc file.
I use the default /etc/pulse/default.pa file, which has the following lines:

### Automatically connect sink and source if JACK server is present
.ifexists module-jackdbus-detect.so
.nofail
load-module module-jackdbus-detect channels=2
.fail
.endif
my /etc/asound.conf, which came with the pulse install:

# Use PulseAudio by default
pcm.!default {
  type pulse
  fallback "sysdefault"
  hint {
    show on
    description "Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)"
  }
}

ctl.!default {
  type pulse
  fallback "sysdefault"
}

# vim:set ft=alsaconf:
I do not have anything in /etc/modprobe.d if that has anything to do with it.

I tried pasuspender -- zita... and the bridges looked correct, but movies were frozen and would not play. I opened up pavucontrol and noticed the movie in the playback tab and switching audio devices didn't help.

I continue to appreciate your help and learn from the info I'm getting from you and Pablo.

These last couple weeks messing with this has been frustrating. :(

--nixIT
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

I am trying to understand all of this. I kill pulseaudio, jack is not started.

pablo@Asus:~$ killall -9 pulseaudio
Then I check if there are open audio devices:

pablo@Asus:~$ lsof | grep /dev/snd
There is no output. I start pulseaudio:

pablo@Asus:~$ pulseaudio --start
And now I see the following:

pulseaudi 4125                 pablo  mem       CHR              116,4                  493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
pulseaudi 4125                 pablo  mem       CHR              116,3                  492 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p
pulseaudi 4125                 pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125                 pablo   22u      CHR              116,3       0t0        492 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p
pulseaudi 4125                 pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125                 pablo   28u      CHR              116,4       0t0        493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
alsa-sink 4125 4126            pablo  mem       CHR              116,4                  493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
alsa-sink 4125 4126            pablo  mem       CHR              116,3                  492 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p
alsa-sink 4125 4126            pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
alsa-sink 4125 4126            pablo   22u      CHR              116,3       0t0        492 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p
alsa-sink 4125 4126            pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
alsa-sink 4125 4126            pablo   28u      CHR              116,4       0t0        493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
alsa-sour 4125 4127            pablo  mem       CHR              116,4                  493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
alsa-sour 4125 4127            pablo  mem       CHR              116,3                  492 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p
alsa-sour 4125 4127            pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
alsa-sour 4125 4127            pablo   22u      CHR              116,3       0t0        492 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0p
alsa-sour 4125 4127            pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
alsa-sour 4125 4127            pablo   28u      CHR              116,4       0t0        493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
pcmC1D0c means, afaik, that card1, device 0 is open for pcm capture (audio capture). pcmC1D0p is the same for audio playback. Note that I only have one card, which is hw:1 (the onboard is disabled in the BIOS). So it seems that all of the hardware devices are owned by pulseaudio, and alsa-source and sinks which I am clueless about.

Now, without killing pulseaudio, I start jackdbus via qjacktl. Let's see:

jackdbus  4071                 pablo  mem       CHR              116,4                  493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
jackdbus  4071                 pablo    6u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
jackdbus  4071                 pablo    8u      CHR              116,4       0t0        493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
jackdbus  4071 4148            pablo  mem       CHR              116,4                  493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
jackdbus  4071 4148            pablo    6u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
jackdbus  4071 4148            pablo    8u      CHR              116,4       0t0        493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
jackdbus  4071 4149            pablo  mem       CHR              116,4                  493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
jackdbus  4071 4149            pablo    6u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
jackdbus  4071 4149            pablo    8u      CHR              116,4       0t0        493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
jackdbus  4071 4150            pablo  mem       CHR              116,4                  493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
jackdbus  4071 4150            pablo    6u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
jackdbus  4071 4150            pablo    8u      CHR              116,4       0t0        493 /dev/snd/pcmC1D0c
pulseaudi 4125                 pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125                 pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
alsa-sink 4125 4126            pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
alsa-sink 4125 4126            pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
alsa-sour 4125 4127            pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
alsa-sour 4125 4127            pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125 4151            pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125 4151            pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125 4152            pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125 4152            pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
jack-sink 4125 4153            pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
jack-sink 4125 4153            pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125 4154            pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125 4154            pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125 4155            pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125 4155            pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
jack-sour 4125 4156            pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
jack-sour 4125 4156            pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125 4157            pablo   21u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
pulseaudi 4125 4157            pablo   27u      CHR              116,2       0t0        491 /dev/snd/controlC1
qjackctl  4134                 pablo   23u      CHR              116,1       0t0        422 /dev/snd/seq
QXcbEvent 4134 4137            pablo   23u      CHR              116,1       0t0        422 /dev/snd/seq
dconf\x20 4134 4138            pablo   23u      CHR              116,1       0t0        422 /dev/snd/seq
gmain     4134 4139            pablo   23u      CHR              116,1       0t0        422 /dev/snd/seq
gdbus     4134 4140            pablo   23u      CHR              116,1       0t0        422 /dev/snd/seq
pool      4134 4143            pablo   23u      CHR              116,1       0t0        422 /dev/snd/seq
QThread   4134 4145            pablo   23u      CHR              116,1       0t0        422 /dev/snd/seq
qjackctl  4134 4158            pablo   23u      CHR              116,1       0t0        422 /dev/snd/seq
qjackctl  4134 4159            pablo   23u      CHR              116,1       0t0        422 /dev/snd/seq
So, it seems that jackdbus now has grabbed the pcm devices, even if pulseaudio still opens /dev/snd/control (not sure why, but whatever).

I have to say that jackdbus and pulseaudio are working fine in my system, I can start one then the other in any order. Still, I use "kj", which sometimes comes handy.

pablo@Asus:~$ alias kj
alias kj='killall -9 jackd jackdbus qjackctl'