Optimize Manjaro just like Ubuentu Studio

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Drcianuro
Established Member

Optimize Manjaro just like Ubuentu Studio

Post by Drcianuro »

Hi folks.

The question is i used Ubuntu Studio and the good thing is it comes with everything intalled packages like CORE AUDIO that im not sure what it is but all that stuff seems to be cool and necessary.

I like manjaro and its more stable than anything and works very smooth usually but not always with audio, jack crashes after update and that kind of critical issues after one month having fun and making whole songs with it.

Can anybody tell me wich packages are crucial for that purpose ? The necessary for optimise i mean in any distro i will search for documentation but i need to know what to search essential keywords that i dont know now i didnt found at the moment.

And in second intance a little bit information to underatand wich Real-time Kernel choose cause i thing the one i had installed was part of the problem.

Thanks for all help.

(And excuses for my poor english)
khz
Established Member

Re: Optimize Manjaro just like Ubuentu Studio

Post by khz »

Hello,

@jack
Launch qjackctl from the console. Read (c/p >> LM) error messages.

Code: Select all

Yours@LAW/DAW ~ $ program_name
JACK – A Beginners Guide to Getting Started with JACK >> http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... arted-jack

Possibly helpful. audio@RT # viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9845
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
protozone
Established Member

Re: Optimize Manjaro just like Ubuntu Studio

Post by protozone »

I don't know a lot about that topic, but from what I understand, it's the proprietary video drivers (or similar) which might be the incompatibility crashing your system harshly. The AMD/ATI video in particular seems to have had recent troubles for a lot of the Linuxes because AMD/ATI didn't provide completely updated support for their slightly older stuff, and then the distro workers had to improvise and intermediate type of driver support. Also, realtime kernels seem to be incompatible with those unless you get ones made specifically to be compatible.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. But maybe this can help lead you to greater helpers elsewhere, or them to you. Please don't quote me on all this stuff; I don't solidly understand this stuff so much yet. Also, I never compile anything :D

Another thing... careful with the KXstudio repos. Sometimes they link to some really really old parts which are not likely to be compatible anymore. Check the versions in the repo section of your distro and disable any lines that seem like they are dragging archaicly old stuff into your system.

And likewise, depending upon your preferences, you might not want to upgrade to the newest every time. That's the risk of a rolling release though. I'm not sure what the best approach is yet; I used to do a lot of distro-hopping though, trying to find the most stable and reliable system. For now I've stopped at MX Linux. I kind of liked my custom low-latency Xubuntu better, but MX Linux with the realtime kernel seems more stable and quirky at the moment. Also, I feel that MX's support is better than Ubuntu Forums for now (just my opinion though).

Good luck
Drcianuro
Established Member

Post by Drcianuro »

Thanks a lot it seems to work perfect.
Now i use the recomended kernel rt by System configuration and it is not the latest so it works smooth and pleasant. I made a test with four tracks three effects per track using native beta reaper and voila !!!!!

Im using an acer aspire es1 572 and it works with intel graphics so nvidia was not the problem.

The trouble was not the whole system coz i insist its very stable just some weird things happened as jack disappear more than crash im sure its related just to unstable and wrong rt kernel.

I also made for some extra reasons a fresh install and if someone is interested and dont know using legacy got the dual boot without using F12.

Also i dont use kx repos.

Its not the perfect tuning but more than what i needed so, thanks thanks thanks a lot.

See you !!!!!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

:-) feel free && keep on learning :-)
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I would recommend testing some more because the default manjaro kernel is a low latency kernel and is quite well optimised for audio. I'm not sure a kernel bug would cause jack to just 'disappear' anyway.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Regardless of distribution, what I do to optimize audio on Linux is to run realTimeConfigQuickscan:

https://github.com/raboof/realtimeconfigquickscan

It will show you where you can improve, and supply links on the how. As you are on Manjaro, which is based on Arch, these can be supply additional info:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio
https://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=10837
nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Post by nikgnomicradio »

Drcianuro wrote: The trouble was not the whole system coz i insist its very stable just some weird things happened as jack disappear more than crash im sure its related just to unstable and wrong rt kernel.
There was a recent bug in one version of qjackctl [0.5.1] gui would crash, but JACK would still be running ok
qjackctl was updated to [0.5.2] in Manjaro update 1 June and is working again

I find standard kernel on Manjaro is better than lowlatency on Ubuntu and don't need RT kernel with JACK.
don't expect problem with any kernel, but Manjaro Settings Manager makes it easy to change kernel and drivers

IMO realtimeconfigquickscan suggested changes make a bigger difference for JACK performance and stability than kernel selection
Drcianuro
Established Member

Post by Drcianuro »

I dont use vey much my cellphone so im finding fit text in quotes almost impossible, sorry. :oops:

About the jack bug thnk you so much for the report i think i need to subscribe to some manjaro news letter to realease that stuff anyway, i needed to format.

About manjaro's kernel very interesting point, i think for reasons like that we are now happier tthan in ubuntu that is another great option of course.

About testing ill do, if i dont answer anymore about that testing, it is working smooth thanks for that annotation.

And thanks everybody for all the usefull and fast help, in a spanish forum called hispasonic (maybe u heard about it) this forum got fame to be the biggest and maybe strongest for the name it has (linuxmuxicians)
The spanish one its a very good thing it just has less activity. I recommend it also.

Still learning.
See ya !!!!!
nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Post by nikgnomicradio »

I am still learning too
I got to use

Code: Select all

sudo downgrade qjackctl

first time I needed it to roll back to earlier working version
that is nice bit of code, even adds an exception to ignore updated packages
Less than 10 mins downtime 8)
And Manjaro had new update out 2 days later, so I removed exception and all up to date again 8)

Manjaro does a great job of documenting updates here:
https://forum.manjaro.org/c/announcemen ... le-updates
Very worthwhile checking there before updating
If something doesn't work after update,information to resolve it would be posted there too