Need some help getting my interface set up

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mark swanson
Established Member

Re: Need some help getting my interface set up

Post by mark swanson »

Yes and thank you so much for your help Pablo. I am familiar with what you are saying, but what I am saying is that panning does not work in my DAW. I can have one mono track there, and my pan control does nothing when I listen with my headphones from the interface headphone jack.
Everything else seems to be working, but I'll keep working with it.
I thought maybe something was not routed right causing my pan controls to be useless.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Yes, that seems to be the case but I am not sure if the source of the problem is jack connections or maybe the configuration of the internal mixer of the Ultra (alsamixer). I hope you will get it solved!
mark swanson
Established Member

Post by mark swanson »

It's all very confusing. My problem with the panning settings is in the interface itself, in its internal configuration settings. By playing with these settings in alsamixer I got the panning to work on one channel but not the other! None of the more than 128 individual sliders are identified. I am guessing as I go. I don't know why I can get it to work on one channel and not the other.
I have another smaller two channel interface and that works the way it should...it runs under the Alsa driver in my DAW. i suppose I should try and set up JACK for that one as well because the latency will be better, is that right? At any rate panning works right with that interface but not the larger one.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

I have another smaller two channel interface and that works the way it should...it runs under the Alsa driver in my DAW. i suppose I should try and set up JACK for that one as well because the latency will be better, is that right?
If the DAW allows you to use the audio interface without jack, that's another option. You will miss the connections with other programs but I don't think latency will be a problem. However, starting jack with that card might help you see the problem with the Ultra.

As for jack and the Ultra interface, if you only have a pair of speakers I think jack connections make more sense like this:

juce_jack_01 to system: playback_01
juce_jack_02 to system: playback_02
juce_jack_03 to system: playback_01
juce_jack_04 to system: playback_02

But that's a blind guess as my audio card only has a pair of outputs.
mark swanson
Established Member

Post by mark swanson »

It looks like I have success! Thanks for all the help everyone. My answer was not just as you suggested Pablo but pretty close.
I still may have an issue with the interface not being recognized but once it is, it works as it should!