System Configuration for guitar recording and new Sound Card

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

WalTerShredder
Established Member

System Configuration for guitar recording and new Sound Card

Post by WalTerShredder »

Hi everyone, I'd like some help for a guitar recording system.
I have an LTD guitar with a Schaller tremolo and EMG pickups, I love it under every aspect. The problem is I'm very frustrated since I haven't played it in three years for numerous issues. Firstly, the stock Floyd Rose Special has always been a pain in the ass, it was impossible to keep it in tune, that's why I upgraded an otherwise perfect guitar to a Schaller bridge, but I haven't had the money to do so until a couple of months ago.
Secondly, I own a Line 6 Pocket Pod, it has crappy sounds and no USB audio, kinda demotivating since I live in an apartment and cannot use an amp.
Last but not least, it has always been difficult to configure Jack in order to work with my equipment and Ardour, since I wanted to record some solos over backing tracks just for fun. I would spend more time doing that than actually recording or playing. Considering I'm quite busy with university stuff, I need something that is easy to plug and play or record, something that I can configure once and keep like that forever.
Since I upgraded my bridge a couple of months ago I tried configuring jack to work with what I have, the issue now is that I've bought bluetooth headphones that I wasn't able to use with Jack.
My idea is to invest in this Sound Card for Christmas:
https://www.amazon.it/Focusrite-Scarlet ... arlett+2i2
It also has a microphone that I assume I could use to record some classical guitar and headphones that I could use specifically for guitar stuff, while using my bluetooth headphones when I workout.
With that being said, do you think it would be a good (and easy to configure) setup? Basically my guitar + maybe some distortion pedals I have + the pod + the sound card + ardour
Thanks in advance.
tavasti
Established Member

Re: System Configuration for guitar recording and new Sound Card

Post by tavasti »

WalTerShredder wrote: With that being said, do you think it would be a good (and easy to configure) setup? Basically my guitar + maybe some distortion pedals I have + the pod + the sound card + ardour
Sounds like easy to setup. Additional effects before pod, and pod output to audio interface.

Then you need to setup jack, and you have everything ready to go.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

WalTerShredder
Established Member

Re: System Configuration for guitar recording and new Sound Card

Post by WalTerShredder »

I'll go for it, then we'll see how to setup jack once and for all! Thanks