Significant performance drop in WineASIO/REAPER vs. Ardour; any advice is appreciated.

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TristanWLB
Established Member

Significant performance drop in WineASIO/REAPER vs. Ardour; any advice is appreciated.

Post by TristanWLB »

So here's the gist of my set-up:

Kernel: 4.4.39-rt50-1-rt-lts
USB Audio: Scarlett 2i2
Audio Driver: JACK2 w/ RT Priority 89
Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
Buffer Size: 256 Samples
Threads/Buffer: 3
Wine: Staging w/ RT priority.

My Ardour test is simply DrumGizmo with some processing on the snare drum, total DSP Load is ~9-10% and there aren't any Xruns at all.
Trying the same exact setup with WineASIO and Reaper results in the DSP Load skyrocketing to >75% and having several Xruns every few seconds.

I am in the 'audio' group as well as the 'realtime' group and I've run this script to check that everything is fine with my RT setup. I don't know what else there is I can do, any insight would be appreciated.
progwolff
Established Member

Re: Significant performance drop in WineASIO/REAPER vs. Ardour; any advice is appreciated.

Post by progwolff »

Wine: Staging w/ RT priority.
What do you mean with that? You should not run wine (or any other application) with RT priority. This would inhibit jack from running at low latency and instead give the GUI of Reaper highest priority.
TristanWLB
Established Member

Re: Significant performance drop in WineASIO/REAPER vs. Ardour; any advice is appreciated.

Post by TristanWLB »

As in this. I've seen many posts on the forum about using wine-rt to boost performance, this seems to have been superseded by the latest versions of Wine-Staging...
progwolff
Established Member

Post by progwolff »

Please give us the output of the following command while Reaper is running.

Code: Select all

echo "PRI"$'\t'"NICE"$'\t'"RTPRI"$'\t'"COMMAND"; for pid in $(grep -oP '.*/task/[0-9]*' <<< $(ls -R /proc/ 2>/dev/null) | sort -u); do awk 'BEGIN {FS="[ \t]+"}; {print $18 "\t" $19 "\t" $40 "\t" $2}' $pid/stat 2>/dev/null; done | sort -h
Last edited by progwolff on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TristanWLB
Established Member

Post by TristanWLB »

progwolff wrote:Please give us the output of the following command while Reaper is running.

Code: Select all

echo "PRI"$'\t'"NICE"$'\t'"RTPRI"$'\t'"COMMAND"; for pid in $(grep -oP '.*/task/[0-9]*' <<< $(ls -R /proc/ 2>/dev/null) | sort -u); do awk 'BEGIN {FS="[ \t]+"}; {print $18 "\t" $19 "\t" $41 "\t" $2}' $pid/stat 2>/dev/null; done | sort -h
Here you are: http://pastebin.com/frP1ET75
progwolff
Established Member

Post by progwolff »

Reaper.exe has a very high priority, nearly as high as jackdbus.
This does not mean that the audio of Reaper is processed with low latency (jack is responsible for this). It means that everything Reaper does, like (user interaction, displaying things, ...) will be executed with this priority and possibly block your audio chain.

Try to run Reaper at normal priority.

For further reading: https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio. ... _and_Myths