How set up USB interface? (for dummy) ART USBmix

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

asbak
Established Member

Re: How set up USB interface? (for dummy) ART USBmix

Post by asbak »

I think quite a few people here use the Focusrite's and as far as I know they are relatively happy with them but the Scarlett costs more than 2x what a Behringer UMC202HD costs and there's no way it sounding 2x better, nor is it built 2x better. Imo they're overpriced. My UMC404 (similar to the 202 but with more IO) sounds fine to me and works with really low latency settings in Jack.

The Edirol UA-25 was a great soundcard back when it came out but it's only available second-hand now and it is slightly dated in some ways. The Behringer UMC's also work at lower latencies in Linux compared to the UA-25.

If I were you I'd test whatever audio interface you intend to get before buying to ensure that it meets all your requirements.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
basskwee
Established Member

Post by basskwee »

asbak wrote:I think quite a few people here use the Focusrite's and as far as I know they are relatively happy with them but the Scarlett costs more than 2x what a Behringer UMC202HD costs and there's no way it sounding 2x better, nor is it built 2x better. Imo they're overpriced. My UMC404 (similar to the 202 but with more IO) sounds fine to me and works with really low latency settings in Jack.

The Edirol UA-25 was a great soundcard back when it came out but it's only available second-hand now and it is slightly dated in some ways. The Behringer UMC's also work at lower latencies in Linux compared to the UA-25.

If I were you I'd test whatever audio interface you intend to get before buying to ensure that it meets all your requirements.
Okay I have ordered the Behringer UMC202HD en return the ART USBmix. They give me back 30 euro's because the Behringer is cheaper!
However the price difference is not that important given the fact that I have already spent about 12 hours of frustration with the ART USBmix.

Thanks for the advices people! Hope that I have more luck with the Behringer interface.

Cheers, Bas
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Let us know how it works for you, it would be useful knowledge for members.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
basskwee
Established Member

Re: How set up USB interface? SOLVED with Behringer UMC202

Post by basskwee »

I received the Behringer UMC202 today and it works great just out of the box! No feedback, Guitarix works, Rakarrak works, low latency. I am happy.

Thanks for the support you all, especially Asbak for recommending the Behringer interface.

Cheers, Bas