DSP running at 100% during exporting in Ardour

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

DSP running at 100% during exporting in Ardour

Post by funkmuscle »

so I've solved the Scarlett2i2 issues. I can record and no crackling or xruns. I have it set to monitoring and Ardour set to let hardware do monitoring.
Only difference is the I'm using the USB 2i2 that replace the DMX6Fire PCI. A really nice interface but my preamp never sounded like the examples I saw on youtube so someone suggested the card could be the issue and that was correct,

No the issue is exporting, when I export in Ardour(remember, nothing was changed in Ardour's setting and it worked with old interface),
The DSP reading it Ardour's top right goes red and stays at 100%.
Is the USB 2i2 the issue?
GMaq
Established Member

Re: DSP running at 100% during exporting in Ardour

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

That's normal, Ardour gives 'er all she's got and uses all the CPU to export even faster than realtime depending on your CPU. This is an expected behavior and is completely different than Ardour maxing out the CPU when simply playing back and recording your session. This will happen on export no matter what Audio device you are using.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

GMaq wrote:Hi,

That's normal, Ardour gives 'er all she's got and uses all the CPU to export even faster than realtime depending on your CPU. This is an expected behavior and is completely different than Ardour maxing out the CPU when simply playing back and recording your session. This will happen on export no matter what Audio device you are using.
that's the issue though, it never ever did with the old device.. now sometimes it crashes when the dsp hits 100%.
the only time it ever did hit 100% on the old card was after a fresh install and I did change the export samplerate so while converting, it hit 100%
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Are you running at the same sample rate as before?
From your description, it sounds like there could be some re-sampling going on, as pointed by GMaq
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

gimmeapill wrote:Are you running at the same sample rate as before?
From your description, it sounds like there could be some re-sampling going on, as pointed by GMaq
yep.. changed nothing except changed from pci to usb interface
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

I suggest you restart jack with the dummy driver and try exporting. Does it make a difference?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Pablo wrote:I suggest you restart jack with the dummy driver and try exporting. Does it make a difference?
no difference.. 100% DSP. Also now after exporting, the analyzed export window plays with no sound. When that exported file is open with say Audacity, it plays..
As GMag mentioned, if it is supposed to do that then cool. Running at 100% I mean. It just never did it with the old interface unless it was a samplerate conversion.
trulan
Established Member

Post by trulan »

funkmuscle wrote:Also now after exporting, the analyzed export window plays with no sound. When that exported file is open with say Audacity, it plays..
As GMag mentioned, if it is supposed to do that then cool. Running at 100% I mean. It just never did it with the old interface unless it was a samplerate conversion.
That sounds normal. Ardour's export feature can be set to either a live mixdown or an offline mixdown. Live mixdown essentially records the output audio to a file just as it plays - xruns and all. Offline mixdown simply performs all the processing as fast as it can, usually in much less time, with no audio output. There is also no chance of introducing xruns during offline exporting, unlike live mixing. But it can be set to do it either way.