The Audio Configuration Checklist

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

gimmeapill
Established Member

Re: The Audio Configuration Checklist

Post by gimmeapill »

hucasys wrote:I'm a musician and I DON'T want to spend all of this time "tweaking" the system, but PLAYING!
Really? That's cute
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

hucasys wrote:I'm a musician and I DON'T want to spend all of this time "tweaking" the system, but PLAYING!
That's why this thread exist, so that we find what makes a good audio system, so we configure it quickly an then play :wink:

Also, we are thinking about packages to make this automatic for users, so people can install the configuration easily and forget about it. :wink:

Moreover, many actually enjoy to figure out things and configure stuff. You know, personalizing your OS? That thing you are able to do only with open source OSes?

So, really, what your comment adds to the discussion?
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Hey CrocoDuck,

I stumbled upon this article the other day:
http://lttng.org/blog/2016/01/06/monito ... latencies/

The developer has made a suite of of low level latency analysis tools that apparently allow him to pin precisely a system event to an xrun.
That could be a good complement to your project, no?

I didn't try it yet, but the kernel module doesn't seem too hard get working:
https://github.com/efficios/latency-tracker

Cheers,

LX
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

gimmeapill wrote: That could be a good complement to your project, no?
Extremely interesting, thanks for posting.

I did not have means to start this project unfortunately. I am too clueless about kernel stuff... At the moment I am trying to teach myself enough C++ to write some acoustics/audio measurements software. Maybe I will have some useful command line tool in few months...

Back on topic, I feel like I should look into how to understand what all these tools say. Probably we just need to combine them into something that can be automatized for gathering useful information, perhaps some kind of script.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Yeah, no worries. I was more using this thread as a notepad to keeptrack of potentially useful tools.
I don't think the latency tracker modules could be used in an automated way, this is more of an advanced troubleshooting tool (also it seems to have some performance overhead).

Anyway, since I sliced my finger with a jigsaw yesterday and cannot play too much guitar for the time being, I made a package:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/latency-tracker-git/

It only installs the modules for the RT kernel & I didn't really try it yet (except for loading/unloading and other installations issues), but at least when you guys need it it's there ;-)

LX
hucasys
Established Member

Post by hucasys »

gimmeapill wrote:
Really? That's cute
That's your contribution?
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

My bad, I forgot to attach the contribution. Here it is:

(cute cats are way overrated these days - don't you think?)
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

People, let's keep it friendly :).

Of course we all want to be able to "just play" - unfortunately that's not always the case (on proprietary platforms as much as on Linux).

Discussions like the one in this thread are a way to share knowledge so in case of trouble at least you'll be playing as quickly as possible, and for distribution maintainers to exchange best practices so end-users will not have to.