general aspects regarding hardware performances

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

gimmeapill
Established Member

Re: general aspects regarding hardware performances

Post by gimmeapill »

@Aleks: the cmedia interface seems to live on its own usb bus - that's good.
256 buffer size with 3 periods @48k look reasonable.
RT priority: set it to 89 (configuration dependent but usually a sane starting point).
I doubt it solves the xruns issue, but it may help a bit.
You should also have some input/output channels selected (in your case, that should be 1 input + 2 outputs)
I would also try 44.1k unless the card doesn't support it.

Another thing: Since you use 2 different devices for input and output, it is unclear which one is actually causing the xruns.
This makes configuration tuning more complicated and in any case you will be bound by the lowest common denominator (= the crappiest card).
I suspect the internal sound card here (that ALC282 doesn't inspire much confidence) - but better test them separately to be sure.
Try to disable the input device (you may need to uncheck "Duplex" and see if that internal card can handle the jack settings you've selected (play some sounds, ex have vlc play a file and send it to guitarix/rakarrack, whatever you're using usually).
If it runs fine you'll know the "usb guitar cable" is the culprit.
If not, you should probably go shopping for a decent audio interface (better have a single device for input and output, really).
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Basically, I think the problem you have is that you want to monitor your signal (hear it) while you are playing. See the next post for ways to achieve this, if that's what you're looking for but this post contains many of the prerequisites you need to have configured in any case, so check that your system is configured similarly.
Last edited by asbak on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Your first mission should be to get the cable to record (capture) at low latency without xrunning.
Once this works then find a way to make use of jack with multiple soundcards so you can also monitor signal through the on-board audio.
Last edited by asbak on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
Aleks
Established Member

Post by Aleks »

Thanks guys! I will try this as soon as I have the time, and I'll report back.
atasfen

Post by atasfen »

UCG102 woks perfectly with Linux. I am using it with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and JACK. In JACK goto setup and select USB CODEC. You have to learn how to connect within JACK to get the sound and it is very easy.
Crojav
Established Member

Post by Crojav »

CrocoDuck wrote:Hi there! I recently purchased an Entroware Apollo 1000 (now discontinued in favor of the Apollo 2000, even sexier) and I am very happy with it.

I set up the SSD optimization (with related documentation). There is also a link to the output of

Code: Select all

lspci -vnn
This could be interesting as well for you.

Hi CrocoDuck

Thanks for your "Reviews" on your website. I like to way you write the reviews!

In the https://thecrocoduckspond.wordpress.com ... -book-air/ under Ports: Very similar hardware setup. As a note, the buses on the Apollo 1000 are separate. ( ??? tried to make a link under the text - Entroware Apollo VS Mac Book Air - ??? )

Is this only on Apollo 1000 or is this Linux specific?

> I set up the SSD optimization (with related documentation). There is also a link to the output of

I could not figure out what kind of optimization you have done for SSD?

Greeting Crojav
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Crojav wrote:Thanks for your "Reviews" on your website. I like to way you write the reviews!
Uh thanks!
Crojav wrote:In the https://thecrocoduckspond.wordpress.com ... -book-air/ under Ports: Very similar hardware setup. As a note, the buses on the Apollo 1000 are separate. ( ??? tried to make a link under the text - Entroware Apollo VS Mac Book Air - ??? )

Is this only on Apollo 1000 or is this Linux specific?
Not sure what you mean here. I corrected the review link to point to this post, where we look at the hardware. Separate Buses means that the USB ports on the laptop are the termination of different Buses. This does not always happen, especially on laptops: often more than one port are communicating data with the motherboard through the same USB bus. This might or might not be a problem, as data coming from different devices can cause interrupts or artefacts on the audio data streams. It is then an hardware thing, the operating system cannot change it.
Crojav wrote:I could not figure out what kind of optimization you have done for SSD?
They are discussed here. The pages where I was linking to are changed a little bit, so I updated the links as best as I can. They are all Arch Linux wiki pages and I think that if you read them carefully you will understand most of it. However, you will need some research before to apply those on Ubuntu or other distros as few things might be different. I would suggest for you to search "Ubuntu SSD optimization" or similar on google, probably you will find something easier to understand and implement for your situation. That post I published was more to share my experience, it is not really a tutorial. Guess I could make one... Maybe next time I install an OS from scratch :wink: