Wrestling with JACK - JACK is winning

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

male
Established Member

Re: Wrestling with JACK - JACK is winning

Post by male »

lintlicker wrote:
male wrote: Yes, but unless you did something other than running those commands, then unplugging/replugging the device is the only variable you changed and therefore the only one that could have influenced the outcome--whether you're satisfied with that result is up to you. (given the circumstances, I would expect it to 'fail' again eventually).

Recall that you actually have two devices in one box there... One for audio I/O and one for MIDI I/O, they just happen to use the same USB cable for communication with the host. USB is ripe with failure modes--it need not even have anything to do with ALSA. Usually, the output of 'dmesg' will show some errors from the USB driver layer something is wrong (although it often shows errors even when everything appears to work). If I were you, I'd replace the USB cable and plug it into a different port on the host just to be cautious and hope that that's the end of it. You won't be able to troubleshoot the issue any further as long as it's in the working state.
Thank you for the informative post! I'm very interested in knowing more about this aspect of the issue. I have a few spare USB cables kicking around, so I'll just grab one of those.

I am greener than green when it comes to this stuff, but what do you mean by the term "failure mode"?
A failure mode is a specific state that is not considered 'working'. USB is a complex system with lots of parts. You have the BIOS, the USB chipset(s) on the motherboard, the chipset on the device, the chipset on the hub in between the computer and the device, the Linux USB driver stack. Incompatibility or miscommunication between any of these parts will generally results in one of many possible failure modes. In other words, if it works at all, you should consider yourself lucky.
lintlicker
Established Member

Re: Wrestling with JACK - JACK is winning

Post by lintlicker »

So using dmseg would allow you to identify the malfunctioning components?