stopping pulseaudio on Arch

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

stopping pulseaudio on Arch

Post by funkmuscle »

hey, anyone using ArchLinux, how do you stop pulseaudio from blocking audio from browsers?
I know it is the pulseaudio because if I uninstall it, everything works fine. The thing is every time the system updates, it re-installs pusleaudio as some desktop environment needs it.

I've done all the autospawn = no as the wiki says to do in the /etc/pulse/client.conf
but still it's on.
killall does nothing or pulseaudio -k or whatever.

why pulseaudio anyway?? any use for it? I mean my system works great without it so why is it forced?
Joermungand
Established Member

Re: stopping pulseaudio on Arch

Post by Joermungand »

Sorry I can’t help about dealing with PulseAudio itself, since I don’t have it, but it seems things are a little more complex than the autospawn = no option in /etc/pulse/client.conf. I Googled around and found this: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... udio-start, which I think might be of help (read both answers, there’s relevant stuff in both).
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Note:
To disable pulseaudio.socket, make sure that $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/systemd/user/ exists and run systemctl --user mask pulseaudio.socket.
Many desktop environments autostart programs based on desktop files in the /etc/xdg/autostart/ directory. In this case, PulseAudio will be launched automatically regardless of the socket activation status.
From here. Sometime ago I did this. I am not 100% sure it was completely preventing autospawn.

Pulsaudio is useless for me as well. So bad few packages want it as a dependency. I think GNOME needs it because its audio management applet in the control panel. If I am not wrong it is just a sort of pavucontrol. Sometimes I just feel like I want to go back to OpenBox...
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Thanks guys. Yes I use Gnome, KDE, and a few other desktop environment that depends on that stupid thing.
Openbox if my main desktop for when I'm doing any audio work. I use the other ones just for eye candy like say when I'm doing other work on the computer and I don't want just a plain boring desktop.

I will do a little bit more Google research and if I come up with nothing it looks like every time there's a system update, I'm going to have to just uninstall it which is a pain in the ass but oh well!
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

Why do you want to stop Pulseaudio?
When jack server is started, while there is no Pulseaudio bridge installed and activated, Pulseaudio suspends automatically. All what is left of it is a few bytes in the ram.
Really why?
What is the issue here, besides the fact that certain apps don't have reliable pulseaudio integration.
Another important thing to point out is that alsa-loop is more DSP hungry compared to pulse-jack bridge. :?
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

thetotalchaos wrote:Why do you want to stop Pulseaudio?
When jack server is started, while there is no Pulseaudio bridge installed and activated, Pulseaudio suspends automatically. All what is left of it is a few bytes in the ram.
Really why?
What is the issue here, besides the fact that certain apps don't have reliable pulseaudio integration.
Another important thing to point out is that alsa-loop is more DSP hungry compared to pulse-jack bridge. :?
I use Cadence and I think it starts it automatically...
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

funkmuscle wrote: I use Cadence and I think it starts it automatically...
Just as i thought! :(
The issue that you are having is with Cadence.
Cadence rewrites the Pulseaudio settings and unfortunately it does it from your home folder so they stay even if Cadence is uninstalled.
I have the same issue while trying Cadence for inclusion in the Official Parabola repositories.
falkTX is notified, so hopefully the bug will be fixed soon, but the only solution that i can give you at this point in time, is to reinstall your system and to stay away from Cadence, until the issue is fixed! :?
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

thetotalchaos wrote:
funkmuscle wrote: I use Cadence and I think it starts it automatically...
Just as i thought! :(
The issue that you are having is with Cadence.
Cadence rewrites the Pulseaudio settings and unfortunately it does it from your home folder so they stay even if Cadence is uninstalled.
I have the same issue while trying Cadence for inclusion in the Official Parabola repositories.
falkTX is notified, so hopefully the bug will be fixed soon, but the only solution that i can give you at this point in time, is to reinstall your system and to stay away from Cadence, until the issue is fixed! :?
thanx thetotalchaos but uninstalling pulse does the trick for now.
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I have kde installed and pulse is a hard dependency. This is probably kind of dumb, but to keep pulse from starting I rename the folder /etc/pulse. Every once in a while I have to do it again. I have no need for it as all Alsa apps are routed through the loopback device.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

CraigPid wrote:I have kde installed and pulse is a hard dependency. This is probably kind of dumb, but to keep pulse from starting I rename the folder /etc/pulse. Every once in a while I have to do it again. I have no need for it as all Alsa apps are routed through the loopback device.
I just keep uninstalling it after Gnome, KDE, Deepin and Cinnamon gets updated. Yeah I have all those desktops installed. Goes with my mood and if I'm doing some light audio work or no audio work I use some of the bloated desktops. :D
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Preventing it from getting autostarted and configuring it to use jack:
http://www.marzen.de/Holger/pulseaudio_and_jack/

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

bluebell wrote:Preventing it from getting autostarted and configuring it to use jack:
http://www.marzen.de/Holger/pulseaudio_and_jack/
nope, doesn't work.. I think it's what thetotalchaos said it is. :(