Ubuntu PPA for *all* Linux Multimedia stuff

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Re: Ubuntu PPA for *all* Linux Multimedia stuff

Post by studio32 »

Why use energyxt if you have qtractor?

that flash thing not free? mmh I doubt it. It would be handy for me, but maybe I should try the pulse way...
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

studio32

Post by studio32 »

git clone git://fuzzle.org/jm2cv.git

to use with non-daw and non-mixer. We also need that example.cfg somewhere on our system:

To use it go to your jm2cv dir, and look for example.cfg. It's a text
config file, and will give you an idea of how to build your own config
file.

Then simply start jm2cv with:

$ jm2cv /path/config.cfg
studio32

Post by studio32 »

thanks! :) I hope you don't do it only for me, but also for yourself ;)

Changelog

lmms-git (0.4.90+git20100112-0ubuntu0+ppa1) lucid; urgency=low

* New git snapshot
* This release has fully functional Jack!
Has someone tested this? Does is fully work?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Mmh ok... you're working on LMMS?

what Windows VSTs do you have in your collection (would be better if they will be ported to Linux native VST)?

ps I can't find latest rosegarden...
studio32

Post by studio32 »

what software do you use yourself besides LMMS and which plugins?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

falkTX wrote:
studio32 wrote: I may be wrong, but I don't think QTractor can export Synths MIDI (I mean "render") to a wav file.
I've notice this. Mmh how do you get a qtractor project exported to a soundfile then? :/
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

falkTX,

I'm the maintainer of AV Linux, since there is so much noise about Lucid I thought I'd better check it out. I installed it in VBox and added the -rt Kernel, medibuntu and your repo...DONE!

This is an uprecedented collection of current Audio apps in a single repo, great work, I wish you all the success with your KXStudio, you are correct that KDE is not represented with a good Multimedia specific version so that is a niche to be filled. I think there is room for everyone and of course I believe AV Linux also has a place.

As someone who knows how much work this takes I just had to say what a great job you're doing! I look forward to seeing an official KXStudio announcement soon.
alberto
Established Member

Post by alberto »

Congratulations for this excellent PPA.

I think there is a bug in eq10q-lv2 package. It doesn't install anything. I'm using a 64 bit system.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Hi falkTX,

A note of criticism from my side, my apologies beforehand :(
I wanted to backport some of your packages for my Karmic PPA. But your just so far from being meticulous that I have to refrain from backporting anything because it will take me so much time to take care of all the lintian warnings :(
Directories containing .svn and .git control directories, maintainer name errors, copyright errors etc., stuff like that. Nothing really seriously wrong but to me as a "mierenneuker" (nitpicker) it all seems so sloppy.
My apologies again for criticising your hard work but I had to get this off my chest.

Best,

Jeremy
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Hello falkTX, I understand the way you work. But take my rambling as constructive criticism, it's not my intention to turn down your hard and good work! We both do things differently, nothing wrong with that.
falkTX wrote:I think that the debian policy has too many rules... (have you look at a "debian/rules" for Fedora or ArchLinux?)
Yes I have, I backported some stuff for my Fedora machines at work so I know how to package RPM's and to what rules they have to comply (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_c ... _and_rules). I agree that packaging for Fedora is more straightforward.
falkTX wrote:I'm sorry if my packages aren't the best ones around, but I honestly don't care, cause the users don't care about the copyright/lintian stuff, they just want it to work.
I'm far from a good packager either, I just package the stuff I need and am not claiming anything either. But those packaging rules and guidelines don't exist for nothing, but that's another discussion, one we shouldn't keep here.

Best,

Jeremy
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

Some questions about wine with the realtime patch from you ppa - On your website you say "run wine with the prefix "WINERT=10" (or similar)". What exactly is the number 10 indicating? What type of numbers can we be using there? And when you say "prefix" does it mean a command line like 'wine WINERT=10 reaper.exe', i.e. how exactly does the syntax go?

Thanks,

Eric
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

I have not tried it myself but I suppose the number goes from 0 to 100 (RT watchdog being at 99 usually, jack somewhere between 10 and 70, etc).

As to the WINERT, it looks like a environment variable, so you would need to set it before calling wine:

Code: Select all

WINERT=10 wine blabla.exe
or you can have it in some login / shell init script
bash:

export WINERT=10
csh family

setenv WINERT 10
mind you, any wine app using RT SCHED_FIFO threads would then use this scheduling priority level.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

-20 to 19 sounds more like the so-called 'nice' value range. WINERT as a variable defined for RT scheduling looks more like the SCHED_FIFO priority level (0 to 100). But better check than not :)