AV Linux 2020.1.14 Release Candidate for testing only

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AV Linux 2020.1.14 Release Candidate for testing only

Post by GMaq »

Rodney wrote:Dear Glenn,

I´ve tested and I have to say, this is the best AVLinux ever! I didn´t have any problems whatsoever installing it, everything went smoothly and the system is super fast now! Big thumps up for both you and Trulan! God you guys make true wonders with this OS. Love it! I wasn´t able to use The Emissary plugin and the command "update-grub" is not found by the system. I added the -mitigations=off to it. And I couldn´t install any .deb package manually. Besides that, everything else is working just fine :D

Congratulations for one more fantastic release of AVLInux!

Can´t praise it enough, thanks a bunch! Looking forward to the final release :twisted:

Att.: Rodney
Hi Rodney!

Thanks very much for the comments.. :D

As far as the issues you've noted some of them are tied to becoming root, did you run 'update-grub' in a root terminal? Also the problem with installing debs manually with Gdebi is actually a problem in Debian Buster, it's not unique to AV Linux. If you enter 'gksu gdebi-gtk' in a terminal and enter your Root Password are you able to install debs manually? As far as emissary I'll look into it, I did have it running with LinVST 2.4.2 perhaps it doesn't work with the latest LinVST 2.8, I will do more testing.
Last edited by GMaq on Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickture
Established Member

Post by nickture »

Can't wait to try this! I've been using AVL since the 2016 versions and it's been nothing short of a revelation for me. Keep up the great work AV Linux team!!
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Dear Glenn,

Yes, I was using the terminal as a super user ;), even so the command update-grub is not found by the system. I added to the grub config file the command "mitigations-off" since my computer is not connected to the internet at all but it doesn´t take effect unless grub is updated with that commando, which is too bad, I would love to try AvLinux with the mitigations off, I think it would speed up the OS even more :D. I am going to try that command to install the .deb packages manually, hope it works :)

Either way, crazy good release, can´t wait for the final one

Cheers,

Rodney
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Hi Glenn,

I tried to install manually using the "gksu gdebi-gtk" command but doesn't matter what package I try to install, I always get the same errors: " dpkg: Warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: Warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
Error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /use/sbin and /sbin "
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Rodney wrote:Hi Glenn,

I tried to install manually using the "gksu gdebi-gtk" command but doesn't matter what package I try to install, I always get the same errors: " dpkg: Warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: Warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
Error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /use/sbin and /sbin "
Hi,

Hmmm I ran into this issue in my VM and assumed my fix would be on the ISO, apparently not..

Unfortunately until the systemwide Root path is set a lot of Root actions will act goofy so to set the root path you need to add a line to the '.bashrc' text file in you filesystem Root folder. There are a couple of ways to do this, I'm not sure what your comfort level is with editing text files in the filesystem Root folder but a line needs to be added to the very bottom of /root/.bashrc

This is the line that needs adding:

Code: Select all

export PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
Let me know if you need more explicit instructions, in the meantime I will fix that issue for the next release.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

nickture wrote:Can't wait to try this! I've been using AVL since the 2016 versions and it's been nothing short of a revelation for me. Keep up the great work AV Linux team!!
Thanks! Appreciated!
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Thanks Glenn, I'll give a try and let you know if that works :D . In the meantime, I have to say: I really like this stripped version of AvLinux! It's super lightweight without all the KDE stuff and Mixbus. I am having so much fun with it. That being said, I was wondering if it would be possible to release this as a "light" official version alongside with the "full" official version of AvLinux 2020. That would be awesome!

Anyway thank you very much again Glenn, AvLinux Rocks!
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Yes! Now I was able to install a package, thanks Glenn, that method worked! And as funny as it seems, that also fixed update-grub somehow. Go figure. Thanks a lot Glenn, you rock!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Rodney wrote:That being said, I was wondering if it would be possible to release this as a "light" official version alongside with the "full" official version of AvLinux 2020. That would be awesome!
Actually I much prefer the simpler menu, less applications and lack of KDE as well and will plan on keeping that pretty much as is. I'd rather maximize available plugins to use in the DAW's than include so many modular stand alone programs, as far as KDE stuff it can easily be installed later by the user if needed. Mixbus will be included on the final release because I have been fortunate to work with Ben at Harrison and have their permission to bundle the demo and I know that AVL is pretty well regarded for getting a complete ready to use Mixbus setup. Mixbus can of course be easily removed if the user doesn't want it.

I am going to release an updated release candidate soon fixing the issues that have been noted here and if everything looks good as far as all the major stuff working I will polish up a few new convenience features, update the User Manual and if I'm feeling ambitious maybe some new artwork and graphics..

To summarize what has been done so far since RC1:

Fixes:
- Fixed missing Root PATH for superuser operations
- Zyn-Fusion now works again

New Features:
- Custom action script to now install Debs right from Thunar (no need for Gdebi)
- New feature to update Spotify and WineHQ keys from "Quick Update" utility
- Extra AV Linux included Audio plugins are now in one consolidated package replace the multiple small packages
- Greatly expanded collection of extra custom fonts for Graphics work and NLE Titles

Updates:
- Realtime Kernel updated to 5.0.21
- Yoshimi updated to 1.7.0

TODO:
- Refine AV Linux Assistant and helper scripts
- Create a small library of high quality Soundfonts and add a "Sounds" folder to the user's home to facilitate recording projects
- Update User Manual and prune out dated and irrelevant info
- (Possibly) Create new Graphics and Artwork (super low priority)
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Wow I got goosebumps! :D can´t wait for the new RC2 release, that´s going to be fantastic! I´ll definitely try it as well.

THank you very much Glenn, all your hard work is very much appreciated

Att.: Rodney
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

Glenn, thank you for all your work on AVL: I can confirm that the RC works well on my seven-year-old System 76 laptop with a Scarlett Solo 3rd gen interface.

If you are looking at including curated soundfonts, maybe consider adding SFizz https://github.com/sfztools/sfizz? The 'develop' branch has LV2 support, and the user experience for using SFZ sounds in Ardour / Mixbus dwarfs the LinuxSampler / QSampler nighmare. Michael Willis has updated his Virtual Playing Orchestra template for Ardour to use sfizz, which now supports some features not provided by LS.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tseaver wrote:Glenn, thank you for all your work on AVL: I can confirm that the RC works well on my seven-year-old System 76 laptop with a Scarlett Solo 3rd gen interface.

If you are looking at including curated soundfonts, maybe consider adding SFizz https://github.com/sfztools/sfizz? The 'develop' branch has LV2 support, and the user experience for using SFZ sounds in Ardour / Mixbus dwarfs the LinuxSampler / QSampler nighmare.
Hi @tseaver,

Thanks for your time to test and have a look, the last release of AVL had SFZero as a LinuxVST included to get around the complications of linuxsampler, is SFizz a better SFZ host than SFZero? To be honest I don't use a whole lot of SFZ's personally so I'd appreciate input from those who use them more..
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

GMaq wrote:is SFizz a better SFZ host than SFZero?
Yes, even an emphatic yes. I've been using sfizz for a few weeks now. It has completely replaced LinuxSampler for me, and sfzero never really worked well for my purposes because of its spotty coverage of sfz opcodes.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Michael Willis wrote:
GMaq wrote:is SFizz a better SFZ host than SFZero?
Yes, even an emphatic yes. I've been using sfizz for a few weeks now. It has completely replaced LinuxSampler for me, and sfzero never really worked well for my purposes because of its spotty coverage of sfz opcodes.
Thanks Michael!

Exactly what I needed to know! Have built the development version of SFizz and will include it in next release..
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

I hope AVLinux still will include linuxsampler since that is still needed for Gigasampler files.