Ubuntustudio 19.04 Jack Gui with new functionality

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

singforme
Established Member

Ubuntustudio 19.04 Jack Gui with new functionality

Post by singforme »

Hi has anybody tried this new Jack controls option yet? Sounds pretty amazing, kind of like core audio on MacOS.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... 8fed3e3dc5
milkii
Established Member

Re: Ubuntustudio 19.04 Jack Gui with new functionality

Post by milkii »

"What we've done in Ubuntu Studio Controls is, for the first time for any GUI frontend to Jack, allow you to add multiple external audio devices at once, and even detect USB devices as they're plugged-in or unplugged while Jack is running," Eickmeyer says.

For any Arch users who wish to try, I just quickly created ubuntustudio-controls-git.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

How is this done under the hood? With jackd's audioadapter?

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Sounds like it will be amazing, especially detecting USB devices when plugged/unplugged.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Ubuntu studio is very great gnu linux distro debian based for music production :wink: I used it on my hp elite 8200 sff desktop computer

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

What's a bit of a let down is: "A few months ago Ubuntu Studio was on its deathbed."

So how can one 'invest' in something that might be barely surviving ? I was looking for a distro recently and I favored from the start a common distro, not a specialized one because there are more chances for a common distro to be kept alive for a longer time. After several tries I settled on Xbuntu 18.04 LTS. Long term support up to 2022 or 2023, something like that.

Anything needed for audio can be added either from the Ubuntu repo itself (jackd, low latency, qjackctl, mudita, ...) or by adding other Ubuntu repos. After all, they're all Ubuntu systems at the core.

Of course, USB devices are detected as soon as they are plugged in. That was always the case and is still is. That's the case for USB drives and in Bitwig (using jackd audio) that's the case for MIDI keyboards and devices. If Ardour/Mixbus (using jackd audio) has a problem with that is then in their camp, IMHO.

So basically, a Linux distro with a solid continuous support is the very first step, as far as I'm concerned, in having a persistent audio production environment.

Cheers.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

bluebell wrote:How is this done under the hood? With jackd's audioadapter?
Good question since that is nothing *buntu specific.
khz wrote:Wish/Request/: @qjackctl @Cadence/Cadence-JackSettings
Offer audio and net adapters under "Settings >> Parameters"?
Would make sense IMHO :freedom: and so
Does that also mean that I can use MIDI for example Bitwig - snd_virmidi(?) - and Ardour - ALSA MIDI - at the same time?
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Bumping this on release day to see if anyone has tried the new Ubuntu Studio 19.04?

I'm mostly curious about Ubuntu Studio Controls (the reason for this thread, which somehow escaped me before). It looks like a nice user-friendly alternative to Cadence or QjackCtl.

I'm not looking to hop at the moment but I'm very happy about a Ubuntu Studio revival.
listenable at c6a7.org
nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Post by nikgnomicradio »

Ubuntu Studio was nearly dropped as an official Ubuntu flavour after 18.04. is good to see the project rejuvenated and innovating
ufug wrote: I'm mostly curious about Ubuntu Studio Controls (the reason for this thread, which somehow escaped me before). It looks like a nice user-friendly alternative to Cadence or QjackCtl.
Just been trying Studio on a fresh install
Ubuntu Studio Controls would be great for someone new to Linux wanting easy route to start using JACK
Studio used to be pre-configured to run JACK with QjackCtl
(only needed to select audio device and other setting defaults would work)
There are more settings in Studio Controls but appears more intuitive

They have also worked on metapackages so should be easier to add Studio tools and packages to any Ubuntu flavour
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I've been using the studio controls for the last few days and it seems great. I'm testing it because I will soon need to plug and unplug my usb soundcard quite often so it's a hassle to change jack profiles/settings each time so the hotplugging functionality should be perfect for me.

The only issue I have so far is that I used to use claudia so that all audio runs through a plugin in carla. Claudia doesn't seem to work with Studio Controls (not sure why?) so I'm trying Non Session Manager instead. It's not really seamless integration though but it's perhaps better than nothing.
avlmac
Established Member

Post by avlmac »

I have been using UBS Controls for a few days on two different installs of UBS 18.04.

What I've noticed on both is that UBS Controls will not retain the settings I choose. (the check boxes for auto start JACK, bridging, etc.)

One pc is a laptop, the other is a desktop.

On both PC's I can now not get back to ALSA and can no longer use the headphone jacks (or in the case of the desk top the other 6 audio outs) and the onboard mic inputs (i.e. the capture ports) don't work. (For instance, they show up on a Carla patch tab, but, don't produce input from a mic.)

Capture ports from other devices, say a USB or firewire mixer, work fine. As do the sink ports from said device.

And, the headphone jack on the laptop no longer works. Plug something in and the on board sound stops, but, nothing in the headphones.
sprock
Established Member

Post by sprock »

avlmac, did you use the UBS Controls that come with 18.04 or the new version via the Ubuntu Studio Backports PPA?
avlmac
Established Member

Post by avlmac »

This is with the ppa on 18.04.

One laptop, one desktop.
sprock
Established Member

Post by sprock »

I'm asking because I was planning on installing UbuntuStudio 18.04 with the Backports PPA as my new audio distro this weekend.

Your experiences don't sound encouraging though and make me rethink. Have you used only the UBS Controls for jack management or mixed up with QJackCtl?

Has anyone else had this kind of bad experience?
avlmac
Established Member

Post by avlmac »

My thoughts about 1804 and the back ports:

- If you use something other than the on board sound, for example a usb mixer (I've successfully used an X32 via usb with 32 in/ 32 out) or firewire device (I have an Audiofire12 on my desktop, but I force it to use ffado, but it does work with ALSA/JACK as provided by UBS Controls as well), you should be fine.

- The on board sound works fine, with JACK (via UBS Controls), as long as you don't want the on board headphones or mic.

- on my desktop, it appears any app using gstreamer experiences drop outs in the audio. Not an issue with apps that have native JACK (for example, Internet DJ Console) This appears not to be the case on my laptop, not sure why...

I use a lot of plugins (Calf,ZITA, etc) and it seems to work fine. (I have not made a point of testing latency...so that may be an issue in "monitor while record" situations.)