Zrythm - A free GNU/Linux Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) focused on electronic music and high modularity

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

gimmeapill
Established Member

Zrythm - A free GNU/Linux Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) focused on electronic music and high modularity

Post by gimmeapill »

Hi Folks,

Just spotted a new DAW in the Arch User Repository (I didn't try it but from the screenshots it looks rather good).
Description from the site:
About Zrythm

Zrythm is built using C and the GTK+3 toolkit and borrows ideas, concepts and code from other projects such as Ardour, Jalv, Bitwig and Cubase. It is built with the intention to provide GNU/Linux users a full-featured alternative to proprietary DAWs and offers a unique approach to workflow that other GNU/Linux DAWs lack. Zrythm is free software licensed under the GPLv3+ and its source code is available on GitLab.

Easy to install - Packages are available for Arch Linux, Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora based GNU/Linux distros. See Installation for installation instructions.

Smart features - Automation curves, built-in LFOs and envelopes for automation, chord track to assist with chord progressions, and other cool features to make our life easier so we can focus on what matters - making music.

Clean interface - Making art should be a nice experience. Zrythm tries to keep the interface clean and pleasant to work with with a color scheme that is easy on the eyes and hideable docks.

https://www.zrythm.org/
https://gitlab.com/alextee/zrythm
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Zrythm - A free GNU/Linux Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) focused on electronic music and high modularity

Post by sysrqer »

This looks really interesting, will definitely be giving it a try.
khz
Established Member

Re: Zrythm - A free GNU/Linux Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) focused on electronic music and high modularity

Post by khz »

I'm glad. Yay! :D
GNU/Linux4music \o/
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I'm not sure if there's something not working with my system but it seems very young at the moment. I can't access the preferences (most items in the menu do nothing) and the size of the window is fixed although it looks like it shouldn't be from some of the options available. I couldn't make it play either. Certainly will be keeping a close eye on this though.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

You can ask at IRC (only 3 people online atm). Undo / Redo is also not working at the moment.
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

sysrqer wrote:I'm not sure if there's something not working with my system but it seems very young at the moment. I can't access the preferences (most items in the menu do nothing) and the size of the window is fixed although it looks like it shouldn't be from some of the options available. I couldn't make it play either. Certainly will be keeping a close eye on this though.
Yeah, ‘rather young’ were my thoughts exactly. It looks like work in progress – but this means there is progress too look forward to.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

The dev told me he started with the development in July :shock:
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

lilith wrote:The dev told me he started with the development in July :shock:
All the more value. Respect!
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Sorry for misleading you guys, I didn't mean to dump Ardour/Bitwig just yet

Yes it is a very fresh project.
The website is two days old, the gitlab master repo is getting updated daily, and there was no official announcement.
But for a 6 month old one man project, I think this is pretty impressive already.
Let's show some support ;-)
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Hello, Zrythm developer here - viewtopic.php?p=102408#p102408
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Does anybody know if this is the one Unfa was talking about in one of his vids, maybe the one about ardour 6?

He mentioned a new Daw that would combine the best of LMMS (midi note manipulation) and Ardour.

It's free software and points to a gnu page lol. Reminds me of richard stallman talking about a problem with the english language.

Free can be free as in no price but also as in freedom to do what you want with it.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I watched that vid of unfa again, and he mentioned this DAW.

He was hoping it will have a lmms style piano roll but for the rest will be like Ardour. :mrgreen:

He has been using LMMS for years and still does sometimes, but has switched to Ardour for most of his work.

Many years ago I was already wondering, why the LMMS devs and the Ardour devs did not just make one awesome DAW.

He was optimistic about Zrythm, lets hope he is right.

I don't see myself stopping anytime soon with LMMS.
The fact that you can't record music with it, is for my user case totally irrelevant.
Being able to record midi notes from a midi controller is enough for me.

Will of course follow this new daw. More competion can't hurt. :)