Ubuntu Studio Controls

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

stanlea
Established Member

Ubuntu Studio Controls

Post by stanlea »

Just saw this on FB : "Ubuntu Studio 18.10 will include the latest release of Ubuntu Studio Controls which will configure the JACK Audio Connection Kit to automatically detect and add hot-plugged USB audio devices as well as allow one to use multiple audio devices simultaneously. This is done independently of QJackCtl and is the first graphical tool to create such a configuration for the user out-of-the-box, making it a unique feature for Ubuntu Studio among operating systems for audio production." WTF ?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Ubuntu Studio Controls

Post by glowrak guy »

The easier it is for refugees from mac/win to successfully
record their music in linux, the better. And also for musicians new
to computer-integrated productions, not tied to any
particular operating system. I hope
the Ubuntu code is purposely written in such a way
as to easily be implemented in other desktop environments.
Not that any coding is easy.
Cheers
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

falkTX wrote:why the wtf? that is quite good.
the only disappointing fact is making the tool dependent on the distribution. should have been developed with the thought of cross-desktop, cross-distro usage in mind
Which desktop is it specific to? I thought they were moving to kDE soon.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Just check the sources, and I can't find any dependency on a distribution or desktop environment.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/de/cosmic/u ... o-controls

what I see is a conflict with cadence, which may be related to some configure files both install. Other then that, it's written in python3, use GTK3 as interface, and use zita-ajbridge to involve (as jack-client) newly detected audio interfaces.
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

falkTX wrote:huh, why does it conflict on cadence when cadence is not on the debian or ubuntu repos?
nothing I see on the code makes me think the conflict is needed.
I guess they know that sooner or later any LinuxMusician who use a debian based distro enable the KxStudio repos.
I could imagine that two different control instances for jack-dbus lead to some conflicts, but I can't say, as I ain't use the dbus interface.
falkTX wrote:Anyway, there are some nice ideas in there.
Let's see how that works out.
Yep. :)
On the road again.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

falkTX wrote:why the wtf? that is quite good.
the only disappointing fact is making the tool dependent on the distribution. should have been developed with the thought of cross-desktop, cross-distro usage in mind
That's what I meant. Let's see what happens next.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

falkTX wrote:The only exception to this is qjackctl, which saves settings to dbus but does not read from it.
not quite an exception though, whatever...

for starters, qjackctl does cope with jackdbus *and* jackd, the later being its primary purpose ever since birth and rather long life...;)

however, Cadence only does jackdbus (last time i've checked...) and that means JACK2 (jack-two) only!

reasons why qjackctl cannot read from jackdbus settings is also a wrong telling: those settings are made available through jack_ctl API, which is only actualy implemented on JACK2 (yes, again only on jack-two).

so that qjackctl only "writes" to this jack_ctl settings store *one-way* and only through jack d-bus interface (when enabled).

and yes, let's see where it goes and all ubuntustudio users are there on the "primaries" party campaign :)

hth.
cheers
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

falkTX wrote:
tramp wrote:Just check the sources, and I can't find any dependency on a distribution or desktop environment.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/de/cosmic/u ... o-controls

what I see is a conflict with cadence, which may be related to some configure files both install. Other then that, it's written in python3, use GTK3 as interface, and use zita-ajbridge to involve (as jack-client) newly detected audio interfaces.
huh, why does it conflict on cadence when cadence is not on the debian or ubuntu repos?
nothing I see on the code makes me think the conflict is needed.

I was a bit harsh on words saying it depends on a distro.
It is more that it is completely focused on a distro, instead of being a general project for everyone.
The way they place the files makes me think it might have issues running as-is in alternative distros like Arch. (not really sure)
It is a small tool made specifically for a distribution, even with said distribution in the application name.
Cadence, ladiconf and qjackctl are quite generic as possible, they were never tied to distro or used it as the tool name (cadence is stored in the kxstudio website, but that's because I put pretty much store all my projects there, dont want to maintain separate websites).

Anyway, there are some nice ideas in there.
Let's see how that works out.
Just like to add that from my experience with games, Arch, Suse and Fedora are not that different, Ubuntu however is.
Still I have used ubuntu solutions for games with suse too.

One problem I had with jack ( on opensuse), that it would not allow two programs to use the sound system together at one time.
So kx studio fixing this sounds good.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Gps wrote:One problem I had with jack ( on opensuse), that it would not allow two programs to use the sound system together at one time.
So kx studio fixing this sounds good.
on opensuse or whatever distro you may name--read this slowly:)--it is not a distro issue: jack takes over the designated sound(card) device for exclusive use; you either play with jack and friends or you don't.

byee
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Were did I say it was an distro specific issue ? :?

I said I liked how Ubuntu studio fixes this.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Gps wrote:Were did I say it was an distro specific issue ? :?

I said I liked how Ubuntu studio fixes this.
And i said : let it roll! :wink: The primaries are in to vote!!