[ANN] Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge starts September 15th, 2018

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

davephillips
Established Member

Re: [ANN] Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge starts September 15th, 2018

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

It's probably too late to add them, but Csound, SuperCollider3, RtCmix, and PureData all include FM synthesis capabilities and they're all open-source. There are also Cabbage plugins that do FM :

Just a note FYI.

Best,

dp
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Re: [ANN] Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge starts September 15th, 2018

Post by SpotlightKid »

I didn't come across these when I was collecting candidates for the challenge. Thanks for mentioning them. It's a bit late to include them now and I think we already have a wide enough selection for now. Let's see how the competition goes and maybe we can include them next time. :)
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

DEXED VST version seems to work. LV2 version doesn't save presets.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I also have the issue that OXE Synth settings are not recalled after reloading Ardour. Anyone else?? :|
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

lilith wrote:I also have the issue that OXE Synth settings are not recalled after reloading Ardour. Anyone else?? :|
Is it possible that OXE FM has to be open when saving the Ardour session to also save the OXE parameters?
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Hey lilith,

there's a discussion thread for the challenge here:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18963

Better bring up your questions there. And maybe also hit the Ardour forums / IRC for your Oxe FM issue.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

SpotlightKid wrote:Hey lilith,

there's a discussion thread for the challenge here:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18963

Better bring up your questions there. And maybe also hit the Ardour forums / IRC for your Oxe FM issue.

ok, was not aware that there are two threads.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

:roll: The submission form is still not online.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Yes, sorry. I'm still working on it. But it will be online in some form in a day or two. So still plenty of time left to submit :)
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Heads up, everybody!

The competition entry submission form is finally online!

Please submit your entries here:

https://fmchallenge.osamc.de/submit/

Sorry for the long delay. :( It seems my web programming skills were a bit rusty. You have still almost eight days to finish and submit your track.

I encourage you all to submit your tracks as soon as possible even if they are not finished yet. Each submitted entry has a draft status at first, until you publish it. Only then (and after I have checked and approved it*) will the track be publicly visible and really enter the competition. If it stays in draft status until the deadline, it does not enter the competition, so there's no harm in submitting your track now, even if you are not sure whether you will finish it in time. But you won't miss the deadline, just because there are technical difficulties or your upload to Archive.org doesn't pass the checks.

I'm looking forward to hear what you came up with!

* Basically just checking the description and production notes for spam and conformance to the rules, this will be done quickly.
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

Good news everyone!

We are very happy to announce, that we have a very desirable and valuable hardware prize waiting for the winner of the competition!
first-prize-blurred.jpg
first-prize-blurred.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 2001 times
Please visit the Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge page to reveal the prize:

https://fmchallenge.osamc.de/prizes/

You still have more than six days left to complete and submit your track and have a chance at winning!

The first submissions are already online. Have a listen here.

Now go forth and modulate!
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

That's an awesome prize!
SpotlightKid
Established Member

Post by SpotlightKid »

The submission period for the Open Source Music FM Synthesizer Challenge is over since midnight (UTC).

We have a fantastic turnout of 15 great entries.

Let the VOTING begin!

https://fmchallenge.osamc.de/vote/

A big thank you to all who submitted a track! You can already be proud of yourselves. :D
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

davephillips wrote:It's probably too late to add them, but Csound, SuperCollider3, RtCmix, and PureData all include FM synthesis capabilities and they're all open-source. There are also Cabbage plugins that do FM
preenfm2 synth has both open source firmware and hardware design.
so, it's probably worth considering too.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Listening entries now.