Tracktion 7 is now freeware

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Luc
Established Member

Tracktion 7 is now freeware

Post by Luc »

Version 7 of the Tracktion DAW is now free for use:

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t7-daw

No strings attached. Just bona fide freeware, as usual.
gennargiu
Established Member

Re: Tracktion 7 is now freeware

Post by gennargiu »

hi,many thanks for share news tracktion 7. I have a t6,t7 and waveform 9 on gnu linux system (avlinux64 based debian stretch 9.5). it work perfect. Waveform 9 i have download version linux 64 bit and raspberry pi3. I have testing on my rpi3 witn kali linux,raspbian stretch and ubuntu mate arm version. :wink:

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Could somebody using T7 add some information about its features here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

And also experiences about it are welcome :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

I have downloaded this more for interest than anything else at the moment.

Questions that don't appear to be answered in the manual.

Are the midi tracks in T7 single midi channel only? That is, can we load an instrument like linuxsampler that has 16 midi channels per plugin instance, and use all 16 channels in the same track? If so, how do we define/select each channel and assign it to a note?

If each track is single midi channel only, can we load an instrument instance on one track, or in a folder track, and have 16 midi child tracks, one for each channel, inside the folder, and accessing the same instrument instance, by channel?

Can we create and add multiple midi output ports (unlimited) if using Jack as the audio server/device? So if i have a big external sampler with lots of midi input ports, can I route from a T7 midi track out to the external Sampler?

Alex.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

There is no technical aspect against it; but you normaly don´t wont a multichannel miditrack. It would only complicate the work on the events.
But each track can receive an every channel (yes can be filtered too) and each track can send to another track. So no one holds you to set up an track with linuxsampler and than route miditracks in it. And yes you can also define virtual midi-in an -outs as much as you like and you can than split up the audio-outputs of linuxsampler into several audiotracks - but ... that´s so '1989 and don´t needed anymore.
Just set up an track for one instrument, put an linuxsampler-vst on it, select the sf/sfz/gig in qtsampler and do that for so many tracks as you need. It´s much simpler.
For an external sampler: yes you can use all alsa midiports on your system simultaneously.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

antiesen wrote:There is no technical aspect against it; but you normaly don´t wont a multichannel miditrack. It would only complicate the work on the events.
But each track can receive an every channel (yes can be filtered too) and each track can send to another track. So no one holds you to set up an track with linuxsampler and than route miditracks in it. And yes you can also define virtual midi-in an -outs as much as you like and you can than split up the audio-outputs of linuxsampler into several audiotracks - but ... that´s so '1989 and don´t needed anymore.
Just set up an track for one instrument, put an linuxsampler-vst on it, select the sf/sfz/gig in qtsampler and do that for so many tracks as you need. It´s much simpler.
For an external sampler: yes you can use all alsa midiports on your system simultaneously.
Normally i DO want a multichannel miditrack, and i'm not on my own. It's one reason why Reaper is so popular. Add an instrument plugin to a track and you get 16 channels. You can either expand them to separate tracks, or input midi by channel using actions, or adjust afterwards using select and actions. It's not 1989 at all.

The track input list in T7 defines the number of inputs as a maximum of 4. So if i have 16 tracks, each transmitting a different midi channel, but i can only use 4 of them? Or can i route the midi output of my 16 tracks direct to the plugin instance, per channel? So i'd have a track with a 1st-violin plugin instance, loaded on all 16 channels with different artics, and then route 16 tracks to each channel in the same plugin instance.
Folders are good, that helps, but if i'm going to have to load 16 separate plugin instances in the folder, one for each artic, that's a LOT of plugins.

I have a LOT of instruments (gig/sfz/sf2) and usually write orchestral music. If i were to add a plugin instance for each track, with a single instrument, i'd have hundreds of tracks. I like the fact Tracktion can accomodate these sort of numbers, but hey, is it really efficient to do it this way? Keyswitching sucks most of the time, and patches and banks can be tiresome too. It may be "modern", but that doesn't always mean it's better. And, with separate channels for artics, we can combine them to enhance an attack, or make those expressive strings a little more serene, build bigger sections, etc. You can't do that with keyswitches and programme changes, not directly and easily anyway.

I appreciate you replying to my post, thanks.

Alex.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

I'm not sure I understand what you want. If I do, then I think you're going to have to use Tracktion's sampler.

Open/create a project with a MIDI track. Now look at the top. There are tabs, a time bar, a red box with a plus (+) sign and a white/gray box with a plus sign too. Click and drag that second + box into the track's instrument slot and select Tracktion's sampler. Double-click the sampler container and... Well, let me know if that helps.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

Hi Alex!

Sorry, i had to rearrange your posting, so it was easier for me.

The track input list in T7 defines the number of inputs as a maximum of 4. So if i have 16 tracks, each transmitting a different midi channel, but i can only use 4 of them?
No, that means you can use 4 midi devices (for example 4 masterkeyboards each with 16 Channels) simultaneously as input.
Or can i route the midi output of my 16 tracks direct to the plugin instance, per channel?
Yes possible, it`s at the properties panel >Track Destination
but if i'm going to have to load 16 separate plugin instances in the folder, one for each artic, that's a LOT of plugins
Yes, but if you have to set up all 16 Stereo Outputs of LinuxSampler (reroute to audio tracks) it´s a lot more of work. Or do you do a submix in qsampler?
Folders are good, that helps
Yes you can see that as a multichannel midi track wich you can expand an collapse.
Normally i DO want a multichannel miditrack, and i'm not on my own. It's one reason why Reaper is so popular.
Sorry, this doesn´t work in Tracktion, midi output of a track is restricted to single channel or mpe. If you can´t do without you should prefer reaper.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

antiesen wrote:Hi Alex!

Sorry, i had to rearrange your posting, so it was easier for me.

The track input list in T7 defines the number of inputs as a maximum of 4. So if i have 16 tracks, each transmitting a different midi channel, but i can only use 4 of them?
No, that means you can use 4 midi devices (for example 4 masterkeyboards each with 16 Channels) simultaneously as input.
Or can i route the midi output of my 16 tracks direct to the plugin instance, per channel?
Yes possible, it`s at the properties panel >Track Destination
but if i'm going to have to load 16 separate plugin instances in the folder, one for each artic, that's a LOT of plugins
Yes, but if you have to set up all 16 Stereo Outputs of LinuxSampler (reroute to audio tracks) it´s a lot more of work. Or do you do a submix in qsampler?
Folders are good, that helps
Yes you can see that as a multichannel midi track wich you can expand an collapse.
Normally i DO want a multichannel miditrack, and i'm not on my own. It's one reason why Reaper is so popular.
Sorry, this doesn´t work in Tracktion, midi output of a track is restricted to single channel or mpe. If you can´t do without you should prefer reaper.

I already use Reaper, so, as i wrote in the first post, i'm trying Tracktion out of interest.

And it's apparent it will be unsuitable for my workflow.

No harm done, and i wish the devs success.

Alex.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

Just to avoid misunderstandings: I'm just a user, not a tracktion-dev.
RockVice77
Established Member

Post by RockVice77 »

I just installed the T7 deb file from the Tracktion site.
I was not able to have Carla VST working: T7 can load Carla's UI but no button is actually working
It seems that a similar issue was fixed in T6, I am wondering if the same fix can work also for T7

Cheers,
Rock
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

tavasti wrote:Could somebody using T7 add some information about its features here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Some friendly persona had filled that, thanks!

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM