Guitarix release 0.37.0

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Guitarix release 0.37.0

Post by tramp »

Guitarix is a tube amplifier simulation for
jack (Linux), with an additional mono and a stereo effect rack.
Guitarix includes a large list of LV2 and LADSPA plugins, and support LADSPA / LV2 plugs as well in it's racks.

The guitarix engine is designed for LIVE usage, and feature ultra fast, glitch and click free preset switching and is full Midi and remote controllable (the Web UI is not included in the distributed tar ball).

From the changelog:

* new plug Ampimpulse-stereo
* new build parameters in wscript by Simon van der Veldt
please check ./waf --help for mor info.
* fix Live Looper freezes the remote UI
* fix Tuner stick is not saved in remote UI
* fix DrumSequencer issue in remote UI
* fix rc files for older clearlooks engine
* fix disable online preset download in remote UI
* fix GxDigitalDelay sync BPM when UI is not shown
* add new commandline switch (_d, --disable-multi-client)
to allow running guitarix as single client application.
This is useful when guitarix is exported as LV2 plugin.
* fix portmap when running as single client
* again some fixes and additions on the DK_simulator
contributed by Yoann Le BORGNE

Refer to our project page for more information:
http://guitarix.org

Download Site:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/guitarix/

enjoy

regards
hermann
On the road again.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Guitarix release 0.37.0

Post by funkmuscle »

dude, awesome! What's this?
new plug Ampimpulse-stereo
I haven't tried the upgrade yet but reading your notes that caught my attention.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

funkmuscle wrote:dude, awesome! What's this?
new plug Ampimpulse-stereo
I haven't tried the upgrade yet but reading your notes that caught my attention.
It's nothing fancy, my friend, it's just a stereo version of the former included Ampimpulse module.
I made it on request, as one guy want to include it later in the chain (after the post-amp).
On the road again.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Hi Herman,

I might have found another volume issue at 96Khz on Arch Linux (sorry I cannot post it on the Sourceforge forums, as our work proxy think it's a spyware site :roll: ): With Guitarix 0.37, almost all my presets at 96K are crackling until I lower a bit the main volume - I didn't touch most of them for about 6 months and they were working fine before that. This seems to happens with the master output, rather than with a specific plugin.

The reason why I think there could be an issue there is that the crackling starts at around 70% volume according to the vu-meters.
Last remember, I could get close to the red before crackling occurs not so long ago, I think as of 0.36.
I didn't test yet at 48K, but I'll give it a go whenever possible and confirm back...

BR,

LX
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

gimmeapill wrote:I might have found another volume issue at 96Khz on Arch Linux (sorry I cannot post it on the Sourceforge forums, as our work proxy think it's a spyware site :roll: ):
Hi

Oh, sorry, I've closed the guitarix forum. :(
It becomes a pitta to maintain it. Spammers jump in faster then you could look for, and some new law's for personal data protection, which I ain't know how related they are for forum maintainers, leads me to close it.
It's now a simple redirection to guitarix.org, maybe that's why your proxy believe it's a spyware site (redirection).
There is a guitarix channnel on reddit, which I've subscribed now.

To the issue at 96kHz. Strange is that I've nothing changed in the engine or a existing plug, or the ampsim. Would be good if you could check at 48kHz as well. So, I've for example some cheep ugly headphones, which tend to crackle when I push the volume only a bit to loud. No problem with other headphones or the speaker system.

However, there are truly some optimisations I could do for 96kHz, so if it is really related to the higher sample rate, I will investigate.

regards
hermann
On the road again.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Nah, actually guitarix.org works, it's the whole sourceforge who's blocked by our crazy zscaler proxy.
But no worries, reddit works fine, & that's actually way more convenient.

Regarding the crackles: I'm testing both on studio monitors (not very good though) and on reasonably ok studio headphones (Sennheiser HD380).
I was actually suspecting my audio equipment, but it's true that I didn't measure the actual output outside of Guitarix - There's a good chance it is exceeding 0DB. In which case the issue would rather be on the volume meters.

I'll test more when time permits and let you know...
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Update on the volume issue at 96khz: I finally had a chance to approach my music computer and could run some tests with Guitarix 0.37.1.
The source of the crackling was (probably) some redundant connection in my jack patch bay overloading the output.
It was still there, but reapplying the patch bay preset from qjackctl sorted it out instantly, although I couldn't find precisely what was the issue.
Long story short: no significant volume difference for the few presets I tried between 48Khz and 96khz.

There is however a tone difference: 96KHZ still sounds way better to my ears (more headroom, dynamics, highs & lows more precise).
The difference is especially obvious with a quality cable and pickups. But even with a generic guitar setup it is noticeable.
I think the difference lies within the Presence control, as my presets are pretty simple, and the only common denominator is the presence cranked to the max.

Please just don't change anything to the way Presence knob works at 96khz, it's perfect ;-)
simonvanderveldt
Established Member

Post by simonvanderveldt »

Just ran into a compilation issue with current master, not sure how different that is from the 0.37.0 release

Code: Select all

In file included from ../src/LV2/gx_amp.lv2/gxamp.cpp:69:0:
../src/LV2/DSP/gx_convolver.h:29:10: fatal error: ../../config.h: No such file or directory
 #include "../../config.h"
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

simonvanderveldt wrote:Just ran into a compilation issue with current master, not sure how different that is from the 0.37.0 release

../src/LV2/DSP/gx_convolver.h:29:10: fatal error: ../../config.h: No such file or directory
...and here as well (Arch Linux)
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

gimmeapill wrote:Update on the volume issue at 96khz: I finally had a chance to approach my music computer and could run some tests with Guitarix 0.37.1.
The source of the crackling was (probably) some redundant connection in my jack patch bay overloading the output.
It was still there, but reapplying the patch bay preset from qjackctl sorted it out instantly, although I couldn't find precisely what was the issue.
Long story short: no significant volume difference for the few presets I tried between 48Khz and 96khz.
Hi
Thanks for report back.
Good to know that the source of issue wasn't in guitarix.
simonvanderveldt wrote:Just ran into a compilation issue with current master, not sure how different that is from the 0.37.0 release

gimmeapill wrote: ..and here as well (Arch Linux)
mm, no issue here, but I must admit that config.h is indeed on directory higher.
I've pushed a fix to master now.
Let me know if it works.

The differences from master to 0.37.0 been:

* switch to use libcurl instead GIO for download online presets --> new dependency!!
* added support for zita-convolver4 --> that's why we need config.h now as well for LV2 plugs which use the convolver.
* Viacheslav Lotsmanov implemented "Thick Distortion" plugin --> nice sounding smooth distortion
* set online help/support forum to reddit/guitarix --> guitarix forum will stay offline
* plus some work on the DK ampsimulator framework --> add possibility to make frequency plots from circuits, add some more tube models.
On the road again.
simonvanderveldt
Established Member

Post by simonvanderveldt »

tramp wrote: mm, no issue here, but I must admit that config.h is indeed on directory higher.
I've pushed a fix to master now.
Let me know if it works.
Just built it again in a clean environment, works fine now :)
Thanks for the quick fix!
tramp wrote: The differences from master to 0.37.0 been:

* switch to use libcurl instead GIO for download online presets --> new dependency!!
* added support for zita-convolver4 --> that's why we need config.h now as well for LV2 plugs which use the convolver.
* Viacheslav Lotsmanov implemented "Thick Distortion" plugin --> nice sounding smooth distortion
* set online help/support forum to reddit/guitarix --> guitarix forum will stay offline
* plus some work on the DK ampsimulator framework --> add possibility to make frequency plots from circuits, add some more tube models.
Some nice additions/changes!
Thanks for the heads-up regarding libcurl, I'll update our package.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

That works, thanks Hermann!