[ANN] Qtractor 0.9.0 - An Early Spring'18 Release!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

rncbc
Established Member

[ANN] Qtractor 0.9.0 - An Early Spring'18 Release!

Post by rncbc »

Hello?
  • Qtractor 0.9.0 (early spring'18) is now released!
The change-log for this spring-time release goes as follows:
- New View/Options.../Plugins/Experimental/Show plugins on track list/left pane option is in effect on tracks that are tall enough in height for their plugins list to fit on the Bus column.
- Fixed a day-zero bug over the MIDI Insert (Send/Return) pseudo-plugin, which was duplicating MIDI events onto the next LV2 plugin in chain, causing strange hanging notes, mutes, retriggerings and what not.
- MIDI track and clip note min/max range display now fixed.
- MIDI Program Change events (PC) now have their proper program number as parameter, instead of value, on the internal MIDI event representation.
- Merging MIDI clips while on SMF Format 0 has been fixed: was merging always onto the same MIDI channel (2), most often the wrong one, resulting in an empty or blank clip.
- When importing from standard MIDI files (SMF), set track names from Mtrk TRACKNAME meta-events instead of filename.
- Avoid asking to save as to existing or just newly created clip file-names, whenever possible.
- Disable singleton/unique application instance setup logic when the display server platform is not X11.
- Whether to use native file browser/requester dialogs is now an effective option when launching under NSM session management (was once disabled initially).
- Content files are now saved as symlinks when saving to JACK and/or NSM session directories/folders.
- Trying to get CC14 MSB+LSB (course+fine) running status on, no matter whether each pairing event are under 200ms apart.
- Possible VST plug-in GUI reparenting hack/fix on Qt5/Xcb.

Description:
Qtractor is an audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application written in C++ with the Qt framework. Target platform is Linux, where the Jack Audio Connection Kit (JACK) for audio and the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) for MIDI are the main infrastructures to evolve as a fairly-featured Linux desktop audio workstation GUI, specially dedicated to the personal home-studio.

http://qtractor.org
http://qtractor.sourceforge.net
https://qtractor.sourceforge.io

Project page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtractor

Downloads:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtractor/files

- source tarball: - source package (openSUSE Tumbleweed): - binary package (openSUSE Tumbleweed): - AppImage packages: Git repos: Wiki (help wanted, always!):
http://sourceforge.net/p/qtractor/wiki/
- static rendering: - user manual & how-to's: License:
Qtractor is free, open-source Linux Audio software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 2 or later.

See also:
http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/1899

Enjoy && Keep the fun. Always.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc
Established Member

Re: [ANN] Qtractor 0.9.0 - An Early Spring'18 Release!

Post by rncbc »

you may all remember this viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17865#p88004

this time and season there's one real easter-egg actually on this release... hint: this time is right in front of the change-log ;)

cheers && happy easter, passover, whatever :)
Last edited by rncbc on Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kel
Established Member

Post by Kel »

Yep. Good option to toggle on/off plug-ins without going to the mixer screen. Just have to zoom in vertical a bit and there they are. We likey options!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Thanks again for the hard work on this. :)
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Hi Ruy,many thanks for new upgrade Qtractor. I have a test on my new computer hp eltie 8200 i3 processor and 8 giga ram with debian stretch + repo kx studio. I have a test on maudio firewire solo and jack audio.....At moment all ok hardware and software :wink:

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
Tapper
Established Member

Post by Tapper »

Thank you very much, Rui. Qtractor is good. Many years I use it, it saved me a hundreds of times (and greyed some hair to :lol: ) But there's so much to grow. Thank you a thousand times and good luck in development (oh, and personal life of course)

I am not a programmer, and I can't just read sources and find the answers myself, so I'm asking here. How can I make custom connections of effects outputs and inputs in Qtractor? For example, sidechain compressor? Or Calf Fluidsynth has 16 chanels, how do I split them, to have separate audio effects for every midi channel? Some other effects have additional inputs or outputs, How do I use them?

I know about send/return in every channel and standalone effectracks. But routing and setting separate programs for EVERY project... It's a nightmare. It's so static... and all those ladi/ladish/blabladish, I never could make it work. (But, if someone can show me a working example and workflow, I'll try to learn it)
Can you make internal routing for effects and "virtual" channels?

And second problem: If I create a new audio device in Qtractor, jackd gets a lot of xruns. This happening all the time for me. In all linux distros I've tried, in all Qtractor or jack versions, with all jack settings. Why? Do I do something wrong, or it's so jack hungry?
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

wholly thanks!
Tapper wrote:Can you make internal routing for effects and "virtual" channels?
a. as a fundamental rule in qtractor all internal routing can only happen in a input-bus -> track -> output-bus fashion;

b. on a bus or track all plugins are chained in straight forward/linear 1:1 channel basis--so no, you have no means to redirect any single channel across or over the next plugin whatever;

c. the only exceptional tools you have in that regard to previous rule b. are about the pseudo plugin inserts: 1. send/return for external routing and 2. aux-send for internal routing to an alternate output-bus (never a input-bus nor a track: rule a. applies);

all that boils down as for sidechaining is not a thing that the qtractor routing model excels at--i even dare to say that it doesn't at all--sorry.
though, there were several so called power-users that managed to work out this and that over sidechaining with qtractor but seriously it sounds like a steam-punk crontraption of sorts if you ask me (yes, me! ;o))

Tapper wrote:If I create a new audio device in Qtractor, jackd gets a lot of xruns.
what you mean about "create a new audio device" ? qtractor does not have that kind of power (last time 've checked:)

do you mean creating an audio bus? does it spur a lot of xruns as you say? quite odd, i say :/

anyways, cheers && thanks again!

ps. imho. let me tell my stance about sidechaining compression, auto-tuning and else, whatever: it's a scam! no real musician, individual, band or orchestra, should ever resort to that lousy trick: you're desperatelly pretending to mask in some original sample recording to what it wasn't supposed to sound with or without--but well... nevermind, it's just me babbling and crying out loud and away :) and after all it's just a opinion (equates to an a**hole: everybody has one).
Tapper
Established Member

Post by Tapper »

rncbc wrote:it doesn't at all--sorry.
Sad. And no plans to make in every channel fulfeatured (at least 8) ) effects rack?
rncbc wrote:do you mean creating an audio bus? does it spur a lot of xruns as you say? quite odd, i say :/
Oh... sorry, yes, busses. Sometimes I want to have one stereo bus and additional, 1 or 2 or even3 channel bus separately. It is xrunning all the time. I have to make huge 4x256 (or even bigger) buffer to work more safely. And I have changed 3 laptops and 2 soundcards while I use Qtractor. it was always like this. Even on dummy jack driver.
rncbc wrote:ps. imho. let me tell my stance about sidechaining compression, auto-tuning and else, whatever
Oh... This damned sidechain compressor, I knew you will stuck at it... No, it was just an example that came into my mind. There's more effects, that have many outputs or inputs.

For example, I need to split sound with Calf Xover (which splits in two, or three bands, so, there's 4 or 6 outputs) and send it to separate effects and combine again. I can't, because there is no wire routing in the back of effects stack of Qtractor :). Ok, let's try to send/return to separate channels. If I have simple stereo bus, I can't do that either, send and return will be in stereo. To have ability to work with them I have to create audio bus with appropriate number of channels. In fact I need only two channels and a splitter in one tiny place. But I have to use 6 channels bus in whole Qtractor for that only. (and get xruns)

As a workaround I suggest adding to send/return number of channels, so I could set it manually. (I don't have a clue is it possible at all)

And another problem with MIDI channels. Most problematic plugins for me for now are Calf-Fluidsynth with 16 channels, linuxsampler with 32 chanels, Drumkits on fluidsynth by FalkTX have 9 channels to have ability to make different compressions and so on, And I see some lsp sampler plugins have many channels to.

So, let's assume, I have 16 MIDI tracks. On main MIDI bus I set Calf plugin. All my channels will play through it, brilliant. But I want to add separate effects to every channel, I can't just put reverberation on my first track, This multichannel thing becomes useless. I have to put Calf-Fluidsynth plugin on every track and then I can put effects on it. 16MIDI tracks? 16 Calf-Fluidsynth (or drum plugins) plugins running simultaneously. Not cool.

I do not imagine how it can be done, but it's logical to have one sampler and all it's outputs return separately to each track :cry:
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

write this down:

Qtractor MIDI sequencer model is, as ever was and will ever be, one MIDI track, one MIDI channel, one MIDI instrument, period.

if you want, you can have a multi-timbral plugin instrument on a output MIDI bus, to which several MIDI track/channels converge get it?)

now, the number of audio channels a MIDI track or bus plugin chain does depend on its assigned audio bus: default is Master (2ch stereo w/e), but you can choose any other audio output bus (check the plugins list context-menu, under Audio) with as many audio channels as you possibly wish.

hth.
cheers

ps. all this discussion is not really appropriate here on this forum; please consider to move onto yours trully http://www.rncbc.org. thanks.