Breaking changes in Carla Plugin Host

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

wolftune
Established Member

Re: Breaking changes in Carla Plugin Host

Post by wolftune »

Thanks for your principles and standing up for all us users. I'm not sure about the direct issues with JUCE, and while I don't like zero-tolerance or black-and-white "you're with us or against us" type of thinking, I think responsible developers should make sure they fully understand concerns before dismissing them.

If you ever finds yourself saying that someone's concerns are paranoid or irrational etc., there's a good chance you just don't understand. So, it's one thing to say, "I don't know and remain unconvinced" but open to learning and another to be dismissive and condescending to someone expressing concerns you don't understand.

Last tangent, I find that a good starting point for people to understand today's systematic problems is http://www.timewellspent.io/ (although it's far from perfect and needs to update HTTPS and fix other issues)

Anyway, Carla remains working, but even with the experimental features, I've lost my main thing: being able to run alt-tuner via ReaJS through the VST bridge. I'm not seeing any Windows VST anything despite checking everything and rescanning. I'll wait for it to get fixed.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Right, but I did *all* of those things (enable experimental, go to that section, enable bridges, then rescan (Windows VST does show in the list of formats there), and I made sure the locations included Windows VSTs. I *still* see none of the Windows VSTs I have showing in Carla.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

falkTX wrote:For now you can drag&drop the dlls directly into carla (if you enabled the bridges, this should "just work").
:D :D :D
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

strange. i can see all my windoze plugins installed with wine on one system (ubunty 18.04), but no windoze plugins show up on another system (ubuntu 16.04), both use wine-rt from KXStudio repos and 32-bit windows architecture.
anyway, i don't care much about them, since using windose stuff only for stealing & recreating presets )
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

chaocrator wrote:strange. i can see all my windoze plugins installed with wine on one system (ubunty 18.04), but no windoze plugins show up on another system (ubuntu 16.04), both use wine-rt from KXStudio repos and 32-bit windows architecture.
anyway, i don't care much about them, since using windose stuff only for stealing & recreating presets )
I'm on KDE Neon which is 16.04-based, so that fits your pattern in my not seeing them. It *did* work to drag and drop though.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

so, it's cool that everything works as expected on the future LTS ubuntu release )
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

falkTX wrote:Just a small heads up, the next update clears the plugin list, so you have to rescan all your plugins.
Hopefully this fixes the issue people were reporting here.
Are you sure it'll find my dll plugins that are in the directory ~/vst/? Just like it does now? Because I NEVER install Windows VST's in Wine's prefix directory (i.e. ~/.wine).
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
falkTX wrote:Just a small heads up, the next update clears the plugin list, so you have to rescan all your plugins.
Hopefully this fixes the issue people were reporting here.
Are you sure it'll find my dll plugins that are in the directory ~/vst/? Just like it does now? Because I NEVER install Windows VST's in Wine's prefix directory (i.e. ~/.wine/).
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

any arbitrary plugin path can be added in settings.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Hi

Congrats to you, falkTX, today I was really impressed.
Your latest "export as LV2 plugin" feature works like a charm now, I was able to load guitarix as LV2 plugin into Qtractor.
I get often requests for porting Guitarix main to LV2, now, I could point such requests to Carla.

Great work. :D

And even more impressed, I could load guitarix into Mixbus. Wow!
Only drawback there is that the skin handling ain't work proper, but, it's a great step forward.

EDIT:// Just need some edits in the guitarix.rc file to cover the older clearlooks engine, and now, guitarix works like a charm in Mixbus.
REVOLUTIONARY!!
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

falkTX wrote:For jack standalones perhaps something could be done regarding session management, but it will be tricky. Likely Carla needs a concept of a project folder instead of just file, and tell apps to save state there. Something to handle later on.
The jack_session API may be handy for it, it will allow all that, is a existent API and easy to implement.
On the road again.
RockVice77
Established Member

Post by RockVice77 »

Another breaking change is the removal of modgui support.
The code only worked for PyQt4, which is no longer the default for Carla source-based builds.
Plus it required webkit, which brings a big list of dependencies. I would have to port the code to webengine/chromium to make it work with PyQt5... no thanks.
Any chance to reconsider the possibility to extend modgui support to let it work with PyQT5?
The GUIs of MOD LV2 are not showing up with Ubuntustudio 17.10 also in Ardour (PyQT4.QtWebKit module missing)

Anyway thanks for the great job on Carla