Yoshimi 1.5.3 out now.

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

Yoshimi 1.5.3 out now.

Post by folderol »

Swift

We have revised the whole of Microtonal (scales) for better accuracy, and fixing originally incorrect range limitations. This is now much closer to the Scala specification, although there seems to be an ambiguity when you have a keymap defined and have an inverted scale - which key is the pivot point?

The GUI representation has been improved so you always see what you entered, not an approximation with strings of '9's!

Microtonal settings are now fully accessible to the CLI.

Vector control has had a makeover. Amongst other things, the name field is now editable and is stored when you save. This means it will be retained on patch sets and states as well, so when these are reloaded you will know what vectors are embedded.

An entire state file can now be loaded silently in the same way as patch sets and vectors can.

Further improvements to the CLI are full access to all configuration settings, and better organisation of command grouping and help lists.

Some data was not ordinarily saved if features were disabled at the time of saving. We have added a switch to allow all data to be saved regardless. This makes for larger files of course, but does ensure that you can get an *exact* recovery if you need it.

You can now directly interact with the formant filter graphic display in a way that is more intuitive and easier to use.

The Console window now scrolls the right way! One of Yoshimi's little band of helpers worked out how to scroll the window to keep the most recent line visible at the bottom.

It is now possible to run Yoshimi stand-alone with both GUI and CLI input disabled, thus responsive only to MIDI input. In view of this we have added a new shortform NRPN that will shut it down cleanly. You simply send 68 on both NRPN CCs (99 and 98).

Under the hood:

As well as additional Gui controls transferred to the new lock-free system, some of the earlier implementations of CLI controls have been transferred. One result is that much of the code is leaner, and easier to follow.

Some needlessly dynamic memory allocations have now been changed to fixed ones. This gives a noticeable reduction to DSP peaks.

There are also a few more old and new bugfixes.

To build yoshimi fetch the tarball from either:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/yoshimi
Or:
https://github.com/Yoshimi/yoshimi

Our user list archive is at:
https://www.freelists.org/archive/yoshimi
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Yoshimi 1.5.3 out now.

Post by glowrak guy »

folderol wrote: An entire state file can now be loaded silently in the same way as patch sets and vectors can.
Hi, I'm still on 1.52, and would like to have a state where all the editor windows
are open on startup. I save the state with them open, but when restarting,
the editors are closed, with only the panel to choose them displayed.

I'd like to have two yoshim's open, on separate desktops, one state with the mixer,
bank select panel, preset choice panel, and main gui, which I use now,
and the second state wowuld have just the editors, mixer, and main gui.

Resizable bank select panels would be nice bonus.
The mixer choice of 1x16, or 2x8 is nice.
Cheers
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

glowrak guy wrote:
folderol wrote: An entire state file can now be loaded silently in the same way as patch sets and vectors can.
Hi, I'm still on 1.52, and would like to have a state where all the editor windows
are open on startup. I save the state with them open, but when restarting,
the editors are closed, with only the panel to choose them displayed.
The code for managing this is rather primitive (it was proof of concept), and isn't able to test whether a specific engine actually exists so we played safe and only implemented this for the definites. Not much has been done since as we didn't seem to get a lot of interest.
I'd like to have two yoshim's open, on separate desktops, one state with the mixer,
bank select panel, preset choice panel, and main gui, which I use now,
and the second state wowuld have just the editors, mixer, and main gui.
This would be possible but it isn't really a system state thing, it's a GUI state one. To a degree much of it is sort-of there. If you start new instances from within yoshimi (rather than from the desktop icon) they are given their own IDd gui setups and window placement. Again, the code is still very primitive and at this time has no way to handle separate desktops. The gui state is quite independent of system states and is automatically saved per instance regardless.
Resizable bank select panels would be nice bonus.
Very difficult to do in FLTK :(
The mixer choice of 1x16, or 2x8 is nice.
Thanks. That was the very first change I made to Yoshimi :D
Cheers
Thanks for the feedback. I made a note of what you asked, but we're still clearing the drains round here, so I'm afraid things won't happen quickly.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

It takes about 30 seconds to place the 8 or 9 panels as desired,
on a couple of desktops, less without the coffee cup,
and yet there is this notion that someone else
should/could/would spend their untold man-hours making the results
of that thirty seconds of hard labor happen in an instant :roll:
Certainly not in the crucial priority column :wink:
I'll look in to the gui-states capabilities, sounds cool.
Cheers