vcvrack.com - open source modular

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Luc
Established Member

Re: vcvrack.com - open source modular

Post by Luc »

That app has turned up on Synaptic here on Debian 9 (stretch) and falkTX is mentioned as the maintainer. But it won't install:

Code: Select all

vcvrack:
 Depends: libcurl3 but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libglew1.10 (>=1.10.0) but it is not installable
 Depends: libglfw3 but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libzip2 (>=0.10) but it is not installable
Just a heads-up. I want to use this, but I'm not in a hurry at all. I understand it's in a very early stage.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

Luc wrote:

vcvrack:
 Depends: libcurl3 but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libglew1.10 (>=1.10.0) but it is not installable
 Depends: libglfw3 but it is not going to be installed
 Depends: libzip2 (>=0.10) but it is not installable
i guess, the problem is libglew1.10.
it's actually comes from older debian release, i suspect. (same on ubuntu.) probably, same for other mentioned libs.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

OK, that sounds good (CPU ~10%).
Then it might be related to my homemade Gentoo. Continue testing >> Troubleshooting.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

suddenly, 0.4.0 binary for linux works in ubuntu 16.04 (0.3.2 didn't).
absolutely satisfied with this, because building it from source implies figuring out by trial and error what dev packages i need, an i hate that )

0.4.0 is far beyond previous release, and appears to be usable in its current state.

the only thing i can't find is CPU usage button.

update: this binary linux build from official site is actually not that good, because jack not working, only alsa.
nevermind, i don't use it for production purposes anyway.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

Just a quick note to mention that VCV Rack now boasts more than 100 modules, all free-as-in-beer and mostly open-source. There are also many patches available for listening and study, you can find a bunch at https://patchstorage.com/platform/vcv-rack/.

Best,

dp
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

All goes well until make

g++ -Iinclude -Idep/include -Idep/lib/libzip/include -MMD -O3 -march=nocona -ffast-math -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -Wsuggest-override -g -DARCH_LIN -std=c++11 -c -o build/src/engine.cpp.o src/engine.cpp
g++: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wsuggest-override’
compile.mk:51: recipe for target 'build/src/engine.cpp.o' failed
make: *** [build/src/engine.cpp.o] Error 1
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

stanlea wrote:All goes well until make...

g++: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-Wsuggest-override’
Comment out that part of the relevant line in compile.mk, i.e.

FLAGS += -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter # -Wsuggest-override
That should do it.

Best,

dp
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Thanks Dave, it does. :D

edit : but none modules are seen - path related ?

edit edit : me stupid related forgot to build modules :mrgreen:

edit edit edit :

g++ -fPIC -I../../include -I../../dep/include -MMD -O3 -march=nocona -ffast-math -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter  -g -DARCH_LIN -std=c++11 -c -o build/src/VCO.cpp.o src/VCO.cpp
src/VCO.cpp: In member function ‘void VoltageControlledOscillator<OVERSAMPLE, QUALITY>::process(float, float)’:
src/VCO.cpp:63:84: error: there are no arguments to ‘engineGetSampleRate’ that depend on a template parameter, so a declaration of ‘engineGetSampleRate’ must be available [-fpermissive]
     pitchSlew += (randomNormal() - pitchSlew / pitchSlewTau) / engineGetSampleRate();
                                                                                    ^
src/VCO.cpp:63:84: note: (if you use ‘-fpermissive’, G++ will accept your code, but allowing the use of an undeclared name is deprecated)
src/VCO.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void VCO::step()’:
src/VCO.cpp:212:47: error: ‘engineGetSampleRate’ was not declared in this scope
  oscillator.process(1.0 / engineGetSampleRate(), inputs[SYNC_INPUT].value);
                                               ^
src/VCO.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void VCO2::step()’:
src/VCO.cpp:304:47: error: ‘engineGetSampleRate’ was not declared in this scope
  oscillator.process(1.0 / engineGetSampleRate(), inputs[SYNC_INPUT].value);
                                               ^
../../compile.mk:51: recipe for target 'build/src/VCO.cpp.o' failed
make: *** [build/src/VCO.cpp.o] Error 1
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

I can't manage to install VCVRack on my system running Debian stable + KX studio repos.
When downloading the binary, trying to run "Rack", I get this message:

error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.2.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
When trying to build it from git, I get to the point of running "make dep" before receiving the following error:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:222 (message):
  The RandR library and headers were not found

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/user/Rack/dep/glfw-3.2.1/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/user/Rack/dep/glfw-3.2.1/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
Makefile:76: receptet för målet ”lib/libglfw.so” misslyckades
make[1]: *** [lib/libglfw.so] Fel 1
make[1]: Lämnar katalogen ”/home/user/Rack/dep”
Makefile:45: receptet för målet ”dep” misslyckades
make: *** [dep] Fel 2
Sorry that some of the messages are Swedish (even though I'm not), but ask if anything is not understandable ("misslyckades" means "failed").

When it comes to "libglew", which obviously is a crucial point here, Synaptic tells me I have libglew2.0 installed.

Anyone getting anything out of this?
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

I'm going to clarify some points here, bear with me.

First, if you simply clone the git sources you'll be building the dev version of VCV Rack, which you probably do NOT want to do. So, after a fresh git pull you should enter the Rack directory and run this command :

git --checkout v0.4.0

Version 0.4.0 is the stable version against which most available modules have been compiled. And herein lies a problem. Some developers are maintaining codebases for both 0.4.0 and the dev version, others do not. I suggest trying the available binaries for everything first, then try building it all if the binaries don't work for you. And be prepared for some potential hacking.

Btw, v0.3.2 is deprecated, don't use it.

@stanlea : gSampleRate has been replaced by engineGetSampleRate() in the latest Rack code, and initialize() is now reset(). As I said, some codebases have already made the switch, others may need some help. If you want to build modules for the dev version yourself you might want to look at the notes at http://www.switchedonrack.com/replacing ... cally.html.

As with most developing projects, things will stabilize over time, but you should expect significant changes to the API as the project closes in on its 1.0 release.

I hope that clarifies some points of interest regarding VCV Rack.

Best,

dp
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

thebutant wrote:I can't manage to install VCVRack on my system running Debian stable + KX studio repos.
When downloading the binary, trying to run "Rack", I get this message:

error while loading shared libraries: libGLEW.so.2.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Were you using falkTX's binary ? If so, I think that's for 0.3.2. Alas, I don't use the binaries, I'm not sure I can help anyone with them.
When trying to build it from git, I get to the point of running "make dep" before receiving the following error:

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:222 (message):
  The RandR library and headers were not found
[/quote]

Looks like you need a lib and a dev package, possibly libxrandr and libxrandr-dev.

[quote]
When it comes to "libglew", which obviously is a crucial point here, Synaptic tells me I have libglew2.0 installed.
[/quote]

The build will ignore the system library and compile its own libGLEW, accessed via LD_LIBRARY_PATH when you 'make run' .

HTH,

dp
frostfall
Established Member

Post by frostfall »

I tried to compile the linux version earlier today and achieved to do it after one hour of struggling with the dependencies. But it was buggy (connectors were not circle but small ellipse) and I also saw that I was only in the middle of the config, because I now had to compile the plugins :(. So I just stopped because It's sooo more easy to just unzip the windows version and launch with wine. No compile, just work, no bug.

The other problem I had between version 0.3 and 0.4 is that the Midi module has now split in 2 different plugins. So when I load a setup I made with the 0.3 version it does not put the new midi module automatically (no problem here) but it also stop loading the config and some of the modules just loose their config...So I had to put back the 0.3 version, do some screenshot and redo a lot of stuff with the 0.4 version...

I guess they should do a compatibility settings between the version, at least for the core modules.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

From pre compiled linux version :

./Rack: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./librtmidi.so.4)

Trying to compile from git with checkout v0.4.0 : compiles without errors, rack loads but I cannot load any modules. BTW compiling Fundamental modules fails at VCO
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

stanlea wrote:From pre compiled linux version :

./Rack: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./librtmidi.so.4)
Symbols versioning. Basically no way to run it unless you upgrade your system. Why I do not care for precompiled binaries and why I prefer to roll my own.

Trying to compile from git with checkout v0.4.0 : compiles without errors, rack loads but I cannot load any modules. BTW compiling Fundamental modules fails at VCO
Did you try loading any of the modules precompiled for 0.4.0 ?

https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack/wiki/List-of-plugins

You can revert the changes in Fundamental :

cd /your/path/to/Rack/plugins/Fundamental/src
sed -i -- 's/engineGetSampleRate()/gSampleRate/g' *.cpp
cd ../
make
If the build still fails you might also need this :

cd /your/path/to/Rack/plugins/Fundamental/src
sed -i -- 's/reset()/initialize()/g' *.cpp
cd ../
make
Try it, let me know what happens.

Best,

dp
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

davephillips wrote: Were you using falkTX's binary ? If so, I think that's for 0.3.2. Alas, I don't use the binaries, I'm not sure I can help anyone with them.
Well, by "binary" I didn't really mean binary at all. I'm sorry, I was a bit too quick there. What I tried was the 0.4.0 zip-file you can download at vcvrack.com. Anyway:
davephillips wrote: Looks like you need a lib and a dev package, possibly libxrandr and libxrandr-dev.
Thanks for the tip there!
After installing libxrandr-dev, libxinerama-dev, xcursor-dev and libasound2-dev, I actually got through the whole "make dep" part.

But then, when coming to "make", I got:

Package gtk+-2.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gtk+-2.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
cc -Iinclude -Idep/include -Idep/lib/libzip/include -MMD -g -O3 -march=nocona -ffast-math -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -DARCH_LIN  -c -o build/ext/osdialog/osdialog_gtk2.c.o ext/osdialog/osdialog_gtk2.c

ext/osdialog/osdialog_gtk2.c:3:21: fatal error: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
 #include <gtk/gtk.h>
                     ^
compilation terminated.
compile.mk:48: receptet för målet ”build/ext/osdialog/osdialog_gtk2.c.o” misslyckades
make: *** [build/ext/osdialog/osdialog_gtk2.c.o] Fel 1
So now something is needed in the gtk departement, but I once again don't really understand what to do.