vcvrack.com - open source modular

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

chaocrator
Established Member

Re: vcvrack.com - open source modular

Post by chaocrator »

CrocoDuck wrote:Yep, tracking down dependencies and keep the system clean can be a pain when building from source. In fact, in that case, I prefer to build my own packages.
moreover, it's better to build on a separate partition with another installation, so the working system is always kept clean.
packages are always better for tracking dependencies, since system updates often silently break the stuff just built from source.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

thebutant wrote:And even if I remember some of the dependencies I just installed, I often don't remember all the packages they were dependent of and which were also installed.

Code: Select all

apt-get autoremove
will give you the list of packages no other package depends on. You could choose then if you wish to deinstall them all, or select later those which you are sure you ain't have build a app from source against.
On the road again.
Taika-Kim
Established Member

Post by Taika-Kim »

I have destroyed two installations already with apt get autoremove, both times it ended up removing almost every component in the system... So I don't trust that really as a solution to anything. I have stuff always that I simply must have compiled, since it's not available.

I'm not familiar with the process of compiling with another installation, that makes sense. I need to google that out... Is it then so that after compiling the dependencies are not needed anymore in case the compile depended on something that is not available from the official repos? So somehow only th executable can be safely moved?

Also: how do I install from the KX Studio repos? I have them added, but apt-cache search does not find anything with "vcv" or "rack". I'm running on Ubuntu 18.