Sing, beastie, sing!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Luc
Established Member

Re: Sing, beastie, sing!

Post by Luc »

CrocoDuck wrote:I think this discussion is getting on the pointless side.
I agree, but for a very different reason than your lengthy explication. My reason is:
danboid wrote:I hate it under Linux every time I pacman -Syu or dist-upgrade as it could all go wrong and if you've not took an image of your OS before you upgrade you could be spending the next few days reinstalling the lot, in some drastic cases.
...and no one has to use Arch.

Very simple. :wink:
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

CrocoDuck wrote:However, I take good care of my Arch by updating each day and taking manual interventions right away. This way it stays pretty stable.
(...)
An update on Arch after a month can break things.
You're telling us that you have to update it and watch for pitfalls every day to keep it in good shape.

So... is that an OS or a Tamagotchi? :lol:
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

moreover,
every time I pacman -Syu or dist-upgrade as it could all go wrong and if you've not took an image of your OS before you upgrade you could be spending the next few days reinstalling the lot, in some drastic cases.
there are tools at least for btrfs, zfs & lvm that take care about making snapshot before upgrade automatically.
as for me, i absolutely loved using btrfs with snapshooting, and the only reason i stopped to is the rt kernel, which does not work with btrfs correctly…
… so now my cron runs rsnapshot daily ))))

and being occasionaly a windows user, i can tell that windows can mess its own installation durin update even worse and render itself unbootable quite easy.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

You don't have to update Arch every day at all. I update every few months on average, and usually without hitch.

I think we all know the dangers and advantages of running a rolling distro.

I am aware of LVM and BTRFS snapshots, but both have their drawbacks. Unlike BTRFS, ZFS' performance does not degrade when creating snapshots. LVM is just a sorry mess in comparison to ZFS and I'd rather do without.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

as i probably mentioned above, i don't like zfs performance on single-disc setups, at least on linux.
it's suitable for regular desktop, but definitely is a bottleneck for multitrack hi-res audio recording.
so i run ext4 without journaling.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Luc wrote:
So... is that an OS or a Tamagotchi? :lol:
Let's assume that it is a Tamagotchi (despite the Arch wiki too stating somewhere that updating each day is perhaps overkill). Do I like it? Then I go for it. And you have not any right to pretend you can dictate what it is a good OS or not, and laugh in the face of people just making a rational decision based, you know, on pros and cons of things. Not even me, not even anybody else.

Does a piece of software work for you? Yes? Good for you, and more power to you!

Is it really this hard to get?

Sometimes I wonder whether this forum is slowly fading into a Facebook comments section...

Anyway, I think I have expressed all I have to say about this and I don't want to bring this out of topic any more, so for me on this sub-thread, EOF. It was about FreeBSD audio news... How we did even get here?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

It's not quite phoronix comments bad yet! :D
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Assuming the OS is too high maintenance, many people may choose to steer clear from it, and can only take such decision after they are informed of said characteristics, and that's why we discuss characteristics in a forum. Being offended on behalf of a tool doesn't really make sense.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

I shouldn't break my EOF... but maybe it is not pointless to share this thoughts:
Luc wrote:Assuming the OS is too high maintenance, many people may choose to steer clear from it, and can only take such decision after they are informed of said characteristics, and that's why we discuss characteristics in a forum. Being offended on behalf of a tool doesn't really make sense.
Being offended on behalf of a tool doesn't, indeed, make any sense and I think you are totally right on the above. Problem is that things like this (just one example):
Luc wrote: I've never understood the appeal of Arch. Is it because it's fast? How old and/or slow is your computer?
Make you appear as you are trying to completely dismiss the tool as something even useful, as to imply that the particular tool has not concrete pros and real use. Many arguments you supplied before were seemingly in this direction: more to dismiss the tool usefulness rather than to inform about the tool itself. Could it be that I misinterpreted you? Could be, if your intents were actually the ones you disclosed above. In this case I would say "sorry, I didn't get the point, :oops: " but I would also encourage you to express your points clearly: the way you write really made you look like bare and simply confrontational and dismissive. Which doesn't offend me but slightly irritates me, as it is not constructive and, again: why are we talking about Arch on this thread?
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

I don't expect anyone to apologize for expressing their opinions. That's what forums are made for.

Maybe my comment on Arch sounds dismissive to you, but take it at face value: I've really never understood the appeal of Arch. I installed it in 2013 and couldn't find a reason to use it.

I've seen people say it's fast, but before the desktop I use now, I was using an Acer netbook with Debian (and Ubuntu before that) and, honestly, it wasn't bad at all with an external monitor. Not a lot of things can be slower than a netbook.

Even after this thread, I still don't know what the appeal is. Did someone actually explain that? I think I missed it.
CrocoDuck wrote:(...) and, again: why are we talking about Arch on this thread?
I dared say that FreeBSD had many inadequacies and danboid defended that OS by criticizing Linux based on his experience with Arch:
danboid wrote:I hate it under Linux every time I pacman -Syu or dist-upgrade as it could all go wrong and if you've not took an image of your OS before you upgrade you could be spending the next few days reinstalling the lot, in some drastic cases.
In hindsight, I see that I could have disagreed with a much better argument: he compared FreeBSD with Arch Linux, which is a rolling release distro, which is apples to oranges since FreeBSD (or any BSD that I know of for that matter) is very far from the rolling release model. You can't even upgrade userland in between releases, it's all or nothing.

So, if that makes any of you feel better, the problem is not Arch, but the rolling release approach, so Arch is off the hook and we can all live in peace again.
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

btw, i have some twenty FreeBSD servers at my job, and updating them can be real nightmare, so we do it as rarely as possible )
the main disadvantage of ports system commonly used on BSD systems is that ports coexist in parallel with repos and packages (instead of building packages for system package manager, like AUR helpers do). so there are a lot more opportunities to mess things up.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Luc wrote:So, if that makes any of you feel better, the problem is not Arch, but the rolling release approach, so Arch is off the hook and we can all live in peace again.
All could live in peace again? uhhh, except the small community of debian sid users, which as well prone the rolling release circle. Wont you let them as well from the hook? :lol: :lol:

So, to give you a impression why one will use a rolling release, not arch here, but debian sid, let me tell you that I'm have to install a new system on my main computer, in the last 15 years, exactly 2 times. Even a move to a new motherboard/CPU I could make with my old installed system. Only hard-drive failure forces me to do a new install. That didn't mean that I've installed no other distro out of interest, but that, I just do for check it out and for the fun.
And were I'm today, well, for example my gcc version is 6.3.0 20170221 (Debian 6.3.0-8).

The hassle you'll have every 2 years, when you feeling forced to re-install your system because you cant use the latest great software, where all the people talk about, well, this hassle is strange to me. I didn't know it simply.
So. living on the blending age has some fun in it, and, as others already pointed out, you, decide yourself, when you upgrade your system, you'll, for example ain't do it, when you are in the middle of change in your project. But it is nice to move forward with the upstream, give feedback about what going on, instead wait and cry afterwards. :wink:

regards
hermann
On the road again.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I'm not brave enough for 'sid', but instead stick to 'testing'. I've had a few wobblies over the years, and (some time past) had to re-install because of them.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

actually, sid has much less updates than development branch of ubuntu )
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

chaocrator wrote:actually, sid has much less updates than development branch of ubuntu )
The flood will come after the freeze is over. :lol:
On the road again.