Digits plugin now GPL'd

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

briandc
Established Member

Re: Digits plugin now GPL'd

Post by briandc »

Hi all,
I made an SDKs folder in my home directory, and I unzipped the Steinberg zip there. Then I changed the path in the git version make file to see that path, as follows:

VSTSDKDIR = ~/SDKs/vstsdk367_03_03_2017_build_352/VST_SDK/VST2_SDK

But it still doesn't compile. I get this error:

Code: Select all

brian@antix1:~/Tarballs/DigitsVst-master/DigitsVst-master/linux
$ make -f Digits.make 
g++ -Wall -O3 -D__cdecl="" -I../sdks/vstsdk2.4 -fvisibility=hidden -DNO_EDITOR -DDIGITS_PRO -I../src/digits -I../src/components -fPIC   -c -o ../src/components/Voice.o ../src/components/Voice.cpp
In file included from ../src/components/Voice.cpp:4:0:
../src/digits/VstCore.h:14:51: fatal error: public.sdk/source/vst2.x/audioeffectx.h: No such file or directory
 #include "public.sdk/source/vst2.x/audioeffectx.h"
                                                   ^
compilation terminated.
<builtin>: recipe for target '../src/components/Voice.o' failed
make: *** [../src/components/Voice.o] Error 1
What am I doing wrong?

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

briandc wrote:...
What am I doing wrong?
Hey Brian, that VSTSDKDIR define isn't handed off to the compiler at that point. I advise Louis's recommended way, i.e. create an sdks directory in the DigitsVST top-level directory (aka "folder" to you young' uns) then link (or copy) your VST2_SDK to that directory, renaming it to vstsdk2.4. That's where your compiler is looking for the VST stuff.

HTH,

dp
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

davephillips wrote: Hey Brian, that VSTSDKDIR define isn't handed off to the compiler at that point. I advise Louis's recommended way, i.e. create an sdks directory in the DigitsVST top-level directory (aka "folder" to you young' uns) then link (or copy) your VST2_SDK to that directory, renaming it to vstsdk2.4. That's where your compiler is looking for the VST stuff.

HTH,

dp
It helps indeed! Thanks dp! (btw, how do I link to a folder? Since I had to rename the entire *directory* :) , I just copied this time. But linking..?)

Digits is now working fine for me in Carla. (Fortunately most of my initial presets were made in Carla, so the carxs files work fine. Anyone wanting to try them can find them at the Digits page on my website!)
But I have no idea why Qtractor doesn't see it, even though I created the correct path. Am I missing something there?

brian
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

briandc wrote:
davephillips wrote: Hey Brian, that VSTSDKDIR define isn't handed off to the compiler at that point...

HTH,
It helps indeed! Thanks dp! (btw, how do I link to a folder? Since I had to rename the entire *directory* :) , I just copied this time. But linking..?)
How I do it from the terminal prompt :

ln -s /home/dave/SDKs/VST_SDK/VST2_SDK /home/dave/src/DigitsVST/sdks/vstsdk2.4
Btw,

man ln
is your friend. I suggest making a sandbox directory for testing commands like ln. Also search Google for "linux ln examples", lots of good help there.
But I have no idea why Qtractor doesn't see it, even though I created the correct path. Am I missing something there?
You'll have to ask Rui. No fear, he's a friendly fellow. :)

Best,

dp
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

davephillips wrote:
briandc wrote:
davephillips wrote: Hey Brian, that VSTSDKDIR define isn't handed off to the compiler at that point...

HTH,
How I do it from the terminal prompt :

ln -s /home/dave/SDKs/VST_SDK/VST2_SDK /home/dave/src/DigitsVST/sdks/vstsdk2.4
Btw,

man ln
is your friend. I suggest making a sandbox directory for testing commands like ln. Also search Google for "linux ln examples", lots of good help there.
You'll have to ask Rui. No fear, he's a friendly fellow. :)

Best,

dp
Thanks again dp! All these years without the ln command. :shock:

Still, it looks like something that'll indeed come in handy in the future, so I'll play around with it.

Ciao!
brian
Chibchan
Established Member

Post by Chibchan »

briandc wrote: But I have no idea why Qtractor doesn't see it, even though I created the correct path. Am I missing something there?
after assigning digits to a midi track,the plugins properties gui will let you load the .fxp file preset and re save to qtractors .qtx.
You have to do this for each one :shock: :D or the ones you like, otherwise qtractor will not recall the preset.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Chibchan wrote:
after assigning digits to a midi track,the plugins properties gui will let you load the .fxp file preset and re save to qtractors .qtx.
You have to do this for each one :shock: :D or the ones you like, otherwise qtractor will not recall the preset.
The problem I'm having though, is that Digits doesn't appear in the list of Vst plugins.
Thanks for mentioning though that Qtractor requires a different extension. It would be nice to have compatibility for .fxp files though. It would make preset sharing a LOT easier!

brian
Chibchan
Established Member

Post by Chibchan »

I also had an issue with qtractor not picking up the vst plugin. The problem was i placed the 32bit (DigitsVST_32.so) instead of DigitsVST_64.so in the vst folder.
Why i did this is beyond me :oops: . All worked well after making the correction.