Tracktion Waveform is released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

eric71
Established Member

Tracktion Waveform is released

Post by eric71 »

Tracktion's new DAW, Waveform, has been released today for Linux and Raspberry Pi, including a proper mixer and a new sampler, Collective. I already own MasterMix, which seems to also be included now - wish I could save some money on that, but the upgrade bundle with the DAW Essentials plugins is looking like a good deal to me. Even though I am a REAPER guy, and am leaning that way as their Linux builds improve, I want to check out Waveform and the sampler and other vsts included in the bundles will work in any Linux DAWs.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Tracktion Waveform is released

Post by sysrqer »

What a strange decision, it looks like it is pretty much Tracktion with a mixer added. I don't see why they just didn't improve Tracktion.
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

I ended up getting the upgrade from T7 package that included the DAW Essentials, microsynths and MasterMix- I've now been playing with it for a couple days. Waveform's main additions over T7 are the mixer (it gives a lot of options for how to present it), Collective (the sampler), and their new midi "composition" tools for writing bass lines, chord progressions and melody. I'm not likely to use the composition tools, but they look like an easy way for non-musicians to make music. I've tested some of the presets in Collective and it seems like it could be useful (not on par with Redux or Bliss, but then I am not so familiar with those). Oddly enough, Collective is taking 30-45 seconds to load when I open a new instance of it in Waveform, or when opening a project that includes Collective. It opens up instantly in native Linux REAPER - so there may be some Waveform/Tracktion sepcific bug. I'm so familiar after years of using REAPER that I can definitely see myself using the DAW Essentials, MasterMix, and Collective in REAPER. Waveform is a nice DAW, but it is more midi and loop oriented whereas I record mostly guitars and vocals and add drums and keys via midi keyboard and eDrums. If I was into EDM, I'd probably go for Waveform. For me, getting some more good quality linux vsts is the real win here.
bunyi
Established Member

Post by bunyi »

sysrqer wrote:What a strange decision, it looks like it is pretty much Tracktion with a mixer added. I don't see why they just didn't improve Tracktion.
This is not a new DAW, technically this is T8, but they changed the name for marketing reasons, because now Tracktion is the name of the company and they also have other products besides a DAW.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Oh I see, that makes more sense :D
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

bunyi wrote: This is not a new DAW, technically this is T8, but they changed the name for marketing reasons, because now Tracktion is the name of the company and they also have other products besides a DAW.
And therefore this thread belongs more to the Marketplace viewforum.php?f=59 then to "Linux Music News New Linux Music News" :wink:
On the road again.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Just tried to download the demo, it failed so I tried again and then noticed the zip is 2.9gb :shock:
What on earth is inside it?
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

sysrqer wrote:Just tried to download the demo, it failed so I tried again and then noticed the zip is 2.9gb :shock:
What on earth is inside it?
It's the sample library for the new bundled sampler.
rhydermike
Established Member

Post by rhydermike »

eric71 wrote: but then I am not so familiar with those). Oddly enough, Collective is taking 30-45 seconds to load when I open a new instance of it in Waveform, or when opening a project that includes Collective. It opens up instantly in native Linux REAPER - .
The devs have now posted about this bug on the KVR forum. It looks like they're aware of it and there should be a fix available by the weekend.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=482390

I like the look of Collective as I'm a big fan of "bread and butter" presets for composing with. I'm heavily into MIDI editing, and I'm hoping that the workflow is slightly better in this version due to the use of the bottom panel.

I'm looking forward to getting into it myself, but I won't be able to get it until next week. I'll be checking here and on KVR for user reports about it.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

Are the GUIs still not resizable for MasterMix and the little synths ? They blew it on those plugins - fixed-size GUIs, not even an output level for the synths - when they could have really added to their value. MasterMix looks nice in screenshots but it's nearly unusable on a desktop monitor. And AFAICT they've never updated those plugins. If anyone has better news regarding them I'd love to know about it.

Nevertheless, big kudos to the company for continuing their support for Linux.

And I'm still interested in BioTek.

Best,

dp
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I haven't had a chance to play with this yet but I've been watching their promo videos and it looks really impressive, the compositional tools look incredible.
bjboyd
Established Member

Post by bjboyd »

Hi there
Just wondering if anyone has been using Waveform? Visually it's more impressive than T6 (now free).

I've downloaded the Waveform demo which I'm quite impressed with. I'm hoping there'll be a Black Friday special on it.
The demo I recorded using a Samson meteor mic worked out well (better than I expected).

Was wondering how people have found it? I've using Ubuntu Studio and bumped Ardour in favour of Waveform. And so far it has been pretty stable.

Would love to hear any feedback or responses to Waveform in Linux.

Cheers
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

Hi,
I´m using waveform and before tracktion since version 4. I´ve waited for years on a linux build of reaper, and now that it has happend - it doesn´t interesst me that much. So yes I would recommend waveform. Exception: collective is not working really well.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

I have a thread going about Tracktion-on-Linux that mentions Waveform at the end --

viewtopic.php?t=16885

I've been using Waveform for the past several months and really enjoying it. The Collective sampler is still a bit buggy -- Tracktion Support tells me a new version is in the works. I record what I need from it and leave it disabled.

Non-Tracktion plugins are still a problem -- only a few of them (such as Helm) work. But the DAW Essentials plugins have most of the effects and utilities I need. For recording, mixing, MIDI and audio looping, rendering midi files as audio clips, and adding effects, Waveform is very stable (this is on Ubuntu Studio). I prefer it to Ardour for stability of the midi notes (which have a tendency to hang or skip in Ardour in looping mode) and the ability to render clips in place. I am mostly recording from Eurorack synths, Octatrack and other sound sources external to Waveform so the lack of softsynths isn't a big issue. MIDI clock out can be used to control and sync the external gear.

Just today I realized I could create looping audio in Carla (using Linux plugins I otherwise couldn't open in Waveform) and record it into Waveform for further editing. In Patchage I linked Carla's audio outputs to Waveform's "JUCE in" inputs, and the Carla sounds come in as a stereo input with no feedback issues. The BPM can be set in Carla's MIDI Pattern sequencer -- the only thing missing is the ability to trigger transport controls in Carla from inside Waveform.
fedexnman
Established Member

Post by fedexnman »

A new Waveform8 Beta is up and it's supposed to fix the multi out VST issue ... I don't use Collective ... If you want a multi out sampler get Renoises Redux plugin and dive deep into the PDF and learn it ...