Tracktion Waveform is released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

antiesen
Established Member

Re: Tracktion Waveform is released

Post by antiesen »

Hi,
I´m using waveform and before tracktion since version 4. I´ve waited for years on a linux build of reaper, and now that it has happend - it doesn´t interesst me that much. So yes I would recommend waveform. Exception: collective is not working really well.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

I have a thread going about Tracktion-on-Linux that mentions Waveform at the end --

viewtopic.php?t=16885

I've been using Waveform for the past several months and really enjoying it. The Collective sampler is still a bit buggy -- Tracktion Support tells me a new version is in the works. I record what I need from it and leave it disabled.

Non-Tracktion plugins are still a problem -- only a few of them (such as Helm) work. But the DAW Essentials plugins have most of the effects and utilities I need. For recording, mixing, MIDI and audio looping, rendering midi files as audio clips, and adding effects, Waveform is very stable (this is on Ubuntu Studio). I prefer it to Ardour for stability of the midi notes (which have a tendency to hang or skip in Ardour in looping mode) and the ability to render clips in place. I am mostly recording from Eurorack synths, Octatrack and other sound sources external to Waveform so the lack of softsynths isn't a big issue. MIDI clock out can be used to control and sync the external gear.

Just today I realized I could create looping audio in Carla (using Linux plugins I otherwise couldn't open in Waveform) and record it into Waveform for further editing. In Patchage I linked Carla's audio outputs to Waveform's "JUCE in" inputs, and the Carla sounds come in as a stereo input with no feedback issues. The BPM can be set in Carla's MIDI Pattern sequencer -- the only thing missing is the ability to trigger transport controls in Carla from inside Waveform.
fedexnman
Established Member

Post by fedexnman »

A new Waveform8 Beta is up and it's supposed to fix the multi out VST issue ... I don't use Collective ... If you want a multi out sampler get Renoises Redux plugin and dive deep into the PDF and learn it ...
istlota
Established Member

Post by istlota »

So, I installed Waveform v8.2.7 and began the usual wrestling we Linux users are cursed with to get the Jack server to work with a DAW we haven't used before. I was able to record a couple of audio tracks in a new project easily enough. But I did not manually create any Audio connections in QJackCtl. Instead, Waveform appears to have automatically created connections under the QJackCtl->Connect Audio tab between something called JUCEjack and System (System is my internal audio interface).

What the heck is JUCEjack?
istlota
Established Member

Post by istlota »

What is juce? I found links in a few posts here about juce dated from years ago, but they all were no longer accessible. It appears that Waveform needs the jack server to be started, but after that juce-apps like Waveform create their own audio connections for Jack rather than the user having to make those connections with QJackCtl. And I noticed that Waveform's settings automatically reflect whatever audio sample buffer size I configured in QJackCtl's setup dialog. Also, unlike other Linux DAWs I have used, I do not need to configure QJackCtl to create any MIDI connections, presumably because Waveform uses juce to do with MIDI what non-juce apps require QJackCtl to do for MIDI?
istlota
Established Member

Post by istlota »

The link previously provided says nothing about juce.

1) I use Ubuntu Studio, not KXStudio.
2) In my world, QJackCtl is the GUI used to deal with Jack, not Cadence as is the case in the KXStudio world.
3) Cadence uses the juce C++ library.
4) I googled the following instructions on how to install KXStudio apps such as Cadence and Carla into Ubuntu Studio:

http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

5) I googled the following tutorial, written by Brett G. Porter, Chief Engineer at Art and Logic, which discusses how to develope juce apps.

https://artandlogic.com/2013/02/develop ... ce-part-1/
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

As I mentioned above, having Waveform using Jack as the audio engine means I can have Carla, Ardour, and/or LMMS open and running while Waveform is running, and I can stream audio from those sources into Waveform and record it, at the same BPM. It's just a matter of setting the audio connections in Patchage so Jucejack is receiving those streams.
I am on Ubuntu Studio, with the kx repositories. Juce (or JuceJack) is installed as part of the Waveform package.
braintree12
Established Member

Post by braintree12 »

I always have Qjackctl running when I turn on Waveform.
istlota
Established Member

Post by istlota »

Thanks for the clarification. I think, for now, I will continue using Ubuntu Studio 17.10, QJackCtl, and Waveform as I am doing on my Dell desktop, but install Cadence, Carla, and T6 on my laptop running Ubuntu Studio 14.04 to gain insight into that Way of doing things. My laptop's older AMD graphics hardware is not supported by Ubuntu above v14.04 [the fglrx proprietary driver it needs is incompatible with newer versions of Xorg], so I can't use Waveform with it.
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

My laptop's older AMD graphics hardware is not supported by Ubuntu above v14.04 [the fglrx proprietary driver it needs is incompatible with newer versions of Xorg], so I can't use Waveform with it.
I think you should be able to use such graphics hardware *without* the proprietary driver on recent Ubuntu versions: see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
istlota
Established Member

Post by istlota »

The documentation does not reflect my real world experience.

"lspci -nn | grep -E 'VGA|Display'" indicates that my HP Pavilion laptop has AMD's Carrizo APU, which is specifically mentioned at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver as being supported by the AMDGPU open source driver, which that page says is used by default in Ubuntu 16.04 and newer.

But, when I boot the laptop from a USB drive burned with the livecd ISO for Ubuntu Studio 17.10, after I select the GRUB option to try it w/o installing, the screen flickers, then displays the Ubuntu Studio splash screen, then the display goes and stays blank.

Even with Ubuntu 16.04 and 14.04, I got a blank screen. I took me a few days of frustrating trial and error before I stumbled across the following procedure which results in everything working with 14.04:

1) Install Ubuntu 12.04.
2) Upgrade that to 14.04.
3) Select the fglrx-updates proprietary driver from Additional Drivers [which is necessary for the laptop's HDMI interface to work. I prefer HDMI-ing to a widescreen TV when using the laptop at home.

I was able to have some degree of success at getting a display with 16.04 if I downgraded the Linux kernel using Grub's Advanced Options menu before booting to 16.04. But, around that time, I got tired of that whole Quest for Fire. Next time I buy a laptop, I am getting one with Intel's Integrated graphics which seems to work with any Linux distro known to man.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I installed Tracktion T6 today in KXStudio 14.04. and I'm pretty much impressed!! Sampler, Timestretching, Pitchshifting samples, good Midi editor, own plugins (reverb, delay, compressor, etc.). And all other plugins I tested worked without crashing. LV2 plugins can be used via Carla ...

Does anyone know if Waveform definitely needs 16.04. or does it work on 14.04 too?