Introducing AVL Drumkits LV2!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: Introducing AVL Drumkits LV2!

Post by GMaq »

stanlea wrote:Does that mean that we can expect in the future something like :

[bunch of good samples] -> [AVL formatting] -> [x42 magic mojo] -> [my awesome ultimate drumkit] ?

(and how ?)

:mrgreen:
Hi stanlea,

Well I don't know about 'other' outside drumkits, there is a plan at some point in the future to re-record/resample the AVL Kits completely and double the velocity layers and use the same base of samples to create Drumgizmo kits. Before that I would like to also take a look at doing a really good set of percussion for Linux (Congas, Bongos, Cajon, Djembe etc.). I can't speak for Robin, his magic mojo is always at work :)

Personally the kits as they are answer all my needs but to expand into Drumgizmo's format they will need to be re-recorded with multiple mics simultaneously at some point. Miking is easy... preparing the kits, sample editing and formatting are the time consuming parts.
Last edited by GMaq on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey Glen, the Drumgizmo kit you're working on are you going to do it exactly like them with that live kit feel? That's the part I love the most about their kits.
I know a lot of people complain about the bleeding into the microphones but once you've isolated that those it sounds way better in a mixed then just non bleeding samples.
Only those mix people ask me who was the drummer? Also I think it's a great learning tool that's just my opinion because I wanted to have that authentic feel more than that processed drum sound that you get from some of the commercial products out there.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

funkmuscle wrote:Hey Glen, the Drumgizmo kit you're working on are you going to do it exactly like them with that live kit feel? That's the part I love the most about their kits.
I know a lot of people complain about the bleeding into the microphones but once you've isolated that those it sounds way better in a mixed then just non bleeding samples.
Only those mix people ask me who was the drummer? Also I think it's a great learning tool that's just my opinion because I wanted to have that authentic feel more than that processed drum sound that you get from some of the commercial products out there.
Hi,

I have spoken to 'deva' (awesome guys those DG guys!) about this a few times in the past, and yes I would be using their recommended recording method whenever the time comes. It should be pointed out that using the AVL LV2 on separated audio tracks as shown in the video and also summed on a drum bus gives some opportunity to emulate and imitate (NOT reproduce completely) at least some of the bleed or blend effect of a real kit, and also control it independently rather than having the bleed of the room the recording was done in hardcoded in the samples themselves
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

GMaq wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:Hey Glen, the Drumgizmo kit you're working on are you going to do it exactly like them with that live kit feel? That's the part I love the most about their kits.
Hi,

I have spoken to 'deva' (awesome guys those DG guys!) about this a few times in the past, and yes I would be using their recommended recording method whenever the time comes. It should be pointed out that using the AVL LV2 on separated audio tracks as shown in the video and also summed on a drum bus gives some opportunity to emulate and imitate (NOT reproduce completely) at least some of the bleed or blend effect of a real kit, and also control it independently rather than having the bleed of the room the recording was done in hardcoded in the samples themselves
Deva is a great dude. He spent a lot of time helping me out a while back through the IRC and email. We did talk about you too as we're both anticipating you making kits for them. Yes definitely as you mentioned there as seen in the video, I have done that because the first thing that came to mind was parallel compression. Love what the kits sounds like. I've just been playing around with all of the possibilities and haven't really recorded anything but that new plug-in helps a lot making things go by quicker.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

GMaq wrote:
stanlea wrote:Does that mean that we can expect in the future something like :

[bunch of good samples] -> [AVL formatting] -> [x42 magic mojo] -> [my awesome ultimate drumkit] ?

(and how ?)

:mrgreen:
Hi stanlea,

Well I don't know about 'other' outside drumkits, there is a plan at some point in the future to re-record/resample the AVL Kits completely and double the velocity layers and use the same base of samples to create Drumgizmo kits. Before that I would like to also take a look at doing a really good set of percussion for Linux (Congas, Bongos, Cajon, Djembe etc.). I can't speak for Robin, his magic mojo is always at work :)

Personally the kits as they are answer all my needs but to expand into Drumgizmo's format they will need to be re-recorded with multiple mics simultaneously at some point. Miking is easy... preparing the kits, sample editing and formatting are the time consuming parts.
In short, is it possible to know what structure of the kit was used by Robin ? I know it's your sample set, but did he take only the samples ? the sfz ? the sf2 ? I mean, for instance if I sample carfully my drumkit, is it easy or not to add it as a LV2 plugin ?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

stanlea wrote:
In short, is it possible to know what structure of the kit was used by Robin ? I know it's your sample set, but did he take only the samples ? the sfz ? the sf2 ? I mean, for instance if I sample carfully my drumkit, is it easy or not to add it as a LV2 plugin ?
Ahhh OK, I see what you mean.

Robin used my Soundfont2 files and I did the UI images in GIMP, the Soundfont2's were created from my SFZ's and converted in Polyphone.

Robin will have all the details but essentially I think the Plugin is roughly based around the 'a-Fluid Synth' plugin from Ardour and extending it with a pre-loaded SF2 file and adding facilities to autoload the Midnam file. Where things get much more complex is with the GUI mapping and multiple outputs which are very precisely tailored to the individual Soundfonts and GUI images. So at this point it isn't like some sort of LV2 template where you would simply add your own SF2 file and photograph to the source code and compile it and it intelligently spits out a plugin for you.

As it is now it is kind of an experimental whim that worked out very well, I can't speak for Robin's plans for future developments. Even getting your samples as far as an SFZ or SF2 would be a great first step, there is still a lot of room in the Linux Audio world for new Drum sound libraries.
Last edited by GMaq on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

GMaq wrote:Even getting your samples as far as an SFZ or SF2 would be a great first step, there is still a lot of room in the Linux Audio world for new Drum sound libraries.
It's a long time project. In some months, I'll retire from my job and expect to have more time.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Not sure if that was mentioned already, but falkTX did something similar: https://github.com/falkTX/FluidPlug
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

someone here made it possible to create drum patterns for DrumGizmo using H2. Those patterns I can export to midi files and they export properly.
I tried creating patterns with the AV H2 kits in H2 and exporting it but it didn't work. It only exported one instrument. Tried the DG H2 kit and exported and it worked. Something I'm missing?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »