[ANN] LSP Plugins 1.0.14 released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

sadko4u
Established Member

[ANN] LSP Plugins 1.0.14 released!

Post by sadko4u »

New release from Linux Studio Plugins Project, version 1.0.14.
  • Implemented Kompressor Mono, Stereo, LeftRight, MidSide (Compressor) plugin series
  • Implemented Seitenkette Kompressor (Sidechain Compressor) Mono, Stereo, LeftRight, MidSide plugin series
  • Moved sidechain processing functions into independent separate DSP module.
  • Fixed issue related to LV2 bug that disallows to save preset of plugin if it has square brackets in the name.
  • Fixed build issue triggering on GCC 6: default C++ standard in GCC was changed to C++11, added strict C++98 usage into makefiles.
  • Fixed time drifting between Middle and Side channels in FIR/FFT mode for Graphic Equalizer and Parametric Equalizer.
  • Fixed and updated metadata of Graphic Equalizer plugin: now filters have individual pre-defined frequencies, Graphic Equalizer's tranlation is corrected to 'Graphic Equalizer'.
  • Re-worked LSP Parametrischer Equalizer plugin series: added filter mode parameter.
  • A bit improved support of LinuxVST for Tracktion DAW and other JUCE'd plugins. Great thanks to Nick Dowell, the developer of amsynth. Still, there are problems with UI redraw.
  • Implemented biquad x8 filter bank using SSE, SSE3, AVX and FMA instructions, overall performance goal is about 1.8x on x86_64 architecture, i586 architecture has no performance regressions when switching from two x4 banks to one x8 bank.
  • Fixed issues with peak value transfer from DSP to UI for VST and JACK versions of plugin.
Suggestions, donations, reviews, promotions are welcome.

As usual, demo is available at youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXOjx3jfw2I
Donation page: https://salt.bountysource.com/teams/lsp-plugins

Last edited by sadko4u on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: [ANN] LSP Plugins 1.0.14 released!

Post by funkmuscle »

dude wow!! thanks for the great work
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Thank you!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I was using the compressor with Carla and it was fine.. Loaded in Ardour 5.4 and it crashed my project. All your other plugins work amazingly. Even loading that project with plugins disable will not load. All other projects without the compressor loads.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

funkmuscle wrote:I was using the compressor with Carla and it was fine.. Loaded in Ardour 5.4 and it crashed my project. All your other plugins work amazingly. Even loading that project with plugins disable will not load. All other projects without the compressor loads.
Please could you provide the crash stack trace of Ardour? This is possible by following steps:
1. Open console
2. Run ardour from console with --gdb option
3. After gdb starts, issue 'run' command
4. Do usual stuff to reproduce the problem
5. After Ardour crashes, type 'thread apply all bt' in console and copy the result here.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

From the video it looks like the Level is a threshold? I'm having trouble conceptualizing a control for that on both attack and (particularly) release.
The compressor looks really good though, mid/side, wet/dry, different compression modes, vst and lv2...I couldn't ask for more. Thanks so much.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

sysrqer wrote:From the video it looks like the Level is a threshold?
Yes, that's right.
sysrqer wrote: I'm having trouble conceptualizing a control for that on both attack and (particularly) release.
The Release Time works only if the envelope is over the Release Level that is by default -inf. Otherwise the Attack Time works instead. This allows you in some cases make the sound of the track punchy, especially when the Release time is times greater than Attack time.
sysrqer wrote: The compressor looks really good though, mid/side, wet/dry, different compression modes, vst and lv2...I couldn't ask for more. Thanks so much.
You're always welcome for reviewing the project on sourceforge, kvr, and also making donations.

sysrqer, I also want to ask you about the problem that funkmuscle defined. Did you try the combination of Ardour + LSP Kompressor?
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

sadko4u wrote:I also want to ask you about the problem that funkmuscle defined.
just a hint in the dark:
As far I can see you still use gtk?
If so, you may check if you gtk call a function in the compressor which you never call in any other plug. If there is one, check if it has changed in gtk during the last time.
As ardour is gtk based it could be a gtk-version mismatch.
On the road again.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

tramp wrote:just a hint in the dark:
As far I can see you still use gtk?
If so, you may check if you gtk call a function in the compressor which you never call in any other plug. If there is one, check if it has changed in gtk during the last time.
As ardour is gtk based it could be a gtk-version mismatch.
Yes, I still use GTK but started a work for migrating from GTK to raw X11 with cairo.
That's strange because there are no special functions. I just declare custom widgets and override their drawing with cairo same as for Trigger or Equalizer plugin. All UIs are build from XML documents, so I suspect that there are somewhere misaligned memory reads/writes in SSE optimizations rather than GTK crashes.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

sadko4u wrote: The Release Time works only if the envelope is over the Release Level that is by default -inf. Otherwise the Attack Time works instead. This allows you in some cases make the sound of the track punchy, especially when the Release time is times greater than Attack time.
Thank you for the explanation, sounds interesting. I thought that maybe it could be used as a transient designer/enhancer (another plugin idea?) so it sounds like I was on the right track to start with. I will have a proper play with it at the week end.

sadko4u wrote: sysrqer, I also want to ask you about the problem that funkmuscle defined. Did you try the combination of Ardour + LSP Kompressor?
I just tried it and I'm not able to reproduce any crashes, everything seems to be working fine for me.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

sysrqer wrote:Thank you for the explanation, sounds interesting.
Yes, I already enjoyed this feature :). It really sounds interesting.
sadko4u wrote: I thought that maybe it could be used as a transient designer/enhancer (another plugin idea?) so it sounds like I was on the right track to start with.
I will have a proper play with it at the week end.
I think, transient designer is an another plugin. Please don't expect from Compressor to be more than compressor :). Even if it allows to do Mono, Stereo, LeftRight, MidSide processing with Feed-Forward, Feed-Back and External sidechain configuration, supporting Peak, RMS, Uniform and Low-pass envelope control and performing downward, upward, parallel compression with limiting feature :))).
sadko4u wrote:I just tried it and I'm not able to reproduce any crashes, everything seems to be working fine for me.
OK, will wait for report from funkmuscle.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sadko4u wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:I was using the compressor with Carla and it was fine.. Loaded in Ardour 5.4 and it crashed my project. All your other plugins work amazingly. Even loading that project with plugins disable will not load. All other projects without the compressor loads.
Please could you provide the crash stack trace of Ardour? This is possible by following steps:
1. Open console
2. Run ardour from console with --gdb option
3. After gdb starts, issue 'run' command
4. Do usual stuff to reproduce the problem
5. After Ardour crashes, type 'thread apply all bt' in console and copy the result here.
it's not crashing now.. I think something weird happened though.. It was actually the older version of the EQ plugins. For some reason, Ardour had the older version 1.012. I never had to do this before when a plugin is upgraded but after I manually updated the plugins in Ardour by scanning for new plugins, it fixed everything.

thinking about it, maybe because the plugin bundle added a new plugin, the scan needed to be done.

All is good. Now I need to understand the compressor. :mrgreen:
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

funkmuscle wrote:it's not crashing now.. I think something weird happened though.. It was actually the older version of the EQ plugins. For some reason, Ardour had the older version 1.012. I never had to do this before when a plugin is upgraded but after I manually updated the plugins in Ardour by scanning for new plugins, it fixed everything.

thinking about it, maybe because the plugin bundle added a new plugin, the scan needed to be done.

That's nice that the problem has gone. And then I had already mentally prepared to disassemble the optimized code to catch the problem :).
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sadko4u wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:it's not crashing now.. I think something weird happened though.. It was actually the older version of the EQ plugins. For some reason, Ardour had the older version 1.012. I never had to do this before when a plugin is upgraded but after I manually updated the plugins in Ardour by scanning for new plugins, it fixed everything.

That's nice that the problem has gone. And then I had already mentally prepared to disassemble the optimized code to catch the problem :).
Sorry dude! Hope I didn't cause you too much time waste.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I just got around to trying the compressor in renoise but all the plugins are crashing the host when opening the gui.
I've attached the renoise log in case that is of any use.
Attachments
Log.txt
(15.55 KiB) Downloaded 55 times