New AV Linux Kernel Repository now public!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: New AV Linux Kernel Repository now public!

Post by GMaq »

falkTX wrote:hey, thanks for the nice kernel!
I just installed it in Ubuntu 14.04 and it actually works! :D

I only have 1 complaint. The 64bit build does not have 32bit binary format support, so I cannot run stuff like skype and wine while using this kernel.
Besides that everything seems to be working.
KDE takes longer to load for some reason, but eventually everything starts up.

Great work!
Hey!

Thanks for the report, I think it's very possible we may have also got bitten by the ice1712 bug so I think for various reasons there will probably be an updated version fairly soon and I'll add that to the list of needed things..
CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

4.4.6-rt13-avl2 works with ice1712. It also seemed to boot super fast.
trulan
Established Member

Post by trulan »

CraigPid wrote:4.4.6-rt13-avl2 works with ice1712. It also seemed to boot super fast.
Thanks for the report, the ice1712 issue was a result of a config decision on Debian's part. The AV Linux kernels all should have included the driver module and should not have been affected by that bug.
falkTX wrote:I only have 1 complaint. The 64bit build does not have 32bit binary format support, so I cannot run stuff like skype and wine while using this kernel.!
Yes, I realized that about a day after I uploaded the 64 bit 4.4.6 kernel. :oops: That has been fixed on 4.4.6-rt13-avl2.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

trulan wrote:
CraigPid wrote:4.4.6-rt13-avl2 works with ice1712. It also seemed to boot super fast.
Thanks for the report, the ice1712 issue was a result of a config decision on Debian's part.
This is quite disturbing. I don't know what's happening to debian, but they do seem to be getting a lot of breakages lately :(
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@folderol

I think it was an upstream kernel recommended config change that caused the ice1712 module to not build, it wasn't directly related to the module so almost all Distribution kernels were affected not just Debian, a Google shows this was very widespread and was an innocent mistake.

Here's an example from Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1534647

Not to make excuses for Debian but the changes from Squeeze - Wheezy were quite minimal, not even a change in libc6. From Wheezy - Jessie more considerable but not too much in the way of deep system changes other than systemd perhaps. The sheer amount of completely new game-changers in Debian Stretch (the current Debian Testing) I would guess may be unprecedented, the ABI breakage of gcc5 and completely new code introduced by KDE5 alone have made any backward compatibility very difficult... The next Debian stable based on Stretch will be a very different animal than the last few Stable releases.

Anyway to answer your original query, the latest AV Linux kernel (4.4.6-rt13-avl2) appears to support your 2496 and also be compatible with Ubuntu (14.04 at least). Hope you had a great vacation and time at LAC2016 :D
Last edited by GMaq on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Ahh good news!

Trulan also sorted out some annoying issues with building Virtualbox guest additions so hopefully we're good for a while :wink:
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Not having any luck with this :(
I had a bit of spare time so downloaded the iso (64bit), only I can't use it. As a live image (on DVD) it asks for a login name and password. If I try the failsafe entry I get the same, and even when trying to install it :(
This is on a quad core AMD 64 machine.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I'm afraid a little rtfm is required, the website has the login and password at the bottom of the page by the download links. :wink:

http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/

This is an initial release on a whole new platform so for the time being there is no Root access on the LiveDVD but it is not needed for installation.

I very strongly recommend reading the manual sections on running Live, ISO Limitations and Installing for the best experience. If you are logged in and running the LiveDVD the User Manual is also found in the 'Accessories' menu.

http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2016.3UserManual.pdf
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Well that's clear enough. I don't know how I missed it before - must be getting old^H^H^H middle-aged :roll:
cy_coe
Established Member

Post by cy_coe »

Hi,

I'm looking for a RT kernel for my Debian testing and found this thread. Unfortunately I have the same problem using this RT kernel as I have with other RT kernels.

I need support for nvidia graphics card but the module doesn't compile because of a kernel bug. Perhaps you can patch the sources to provide nvidia support with your rt kernels?

This is related to linux-image-4.8.6-rt5avl2. Kernel 4.6.7-rt13-avl1 as well doesn't work but this seems to be another problem...
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Sorry we won't be patching for proprietary drivers, it's a thankless task and there is no keeping up to all the changes both on the kernel side and the nVidia driver side.. It's just kind of acknowledged these days that RT Kernels are used with Open Source video drivers.

That said we have a detailed kernel building guide here if you want to try patching your own:
http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=3814.0
trulan
Established Member

Post by trulan »

Hi everybody! There's a new batch of kernels for your testing, usage, and enjoyment. This time, there are four kernels available:

For 32 bit: (i386)
linux-4.9.40-rt30avl2
linux-4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2

And for 64 bit: (amd64)
linux-4.9.40-rt30avl2
linux-4.9.40-lowlatency-avl2

The 'rt' kernels are updates to the Real Time Linux kernels you are familiar with in AV Linux. A Real Time kernel often can perform more consistently at low latencies under heavy load. (ie, fewer xruns while processing live audio.)

The 'lowlatency' kernels do not include the 'Real Time' patch. Some hardware does not play well with a full real time kernel, especially hardware that requires proprietary drivers (such as many NVidia video cards). If you would rather have good graphics and no headaches, and don't care about crazy-low latencies, then these kernels are for you. Many users will not be able to tell a difference between the real world performance of the two kernels.

As always, I appreciate those of you who test and report back!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

A huge thanks to Trulan for continuing to maintain kernels for AV Linux :wink:

An added point is these kernels are also patched to work with the recently supported Tascam 16x08 Interface, neither of us have one to test so if someone has one and could test with these kernels it would be nice to know if the patch works..