Linux REAPER works!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

jiff41
Established Member

Re: Linux REAPER works!

Post by jiff41 »

The 5.40 throws up an error for me Glen :o
Says a later version is already installed? :?
I Started out with nothing & still have most of it left.! (Seasick Steve) :lol:
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Yes that is because we went from 5.353' which has 3 numbers after the decimal, to 5.40 which has only 2. It's how gdebi prioritizes numbers I guess, so it sees it as an 'older' package, anyway I don't want to get too complicated with the package numbering, so just uninstall 5.353 first in this case and it will install just fine.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

falkTX wrote:set the version as 5.400 then?
:D I suppose that would work too, since these are just temporary for testing and not in a repo I didn't really think about it too much and just followed Reaper's numbering scheme, but I can change it, sure, fixed and original link updated.
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

Seems Justin has taken a week to focus on the Linux version of REAPER, so there have been a lot of updates to both REAPER and libswell this week:

v5.403 - April 13 2017
+ jack: configurable launching of jackd
+ jack: allow overriding client name in reaper.ini jack_client=
+ linux: add reaper_python.py
+ linux: various minor fixes (About box included)

v5.402 - April 11 2017
+ Various small linux related updates/fixes
+ Re-added linux VST3

v5.401 - April 10 2017
+ Linux: default jack options to auto-start jack server, auto-connect audio and MIDI
+ Linux: splash improvements
+ Notation editor: handle click on track title exactly like a click on the activate icon in the MIDI track list
# Notation editor: show menu checkmark when "all media items editable in notation view" is enabled

And lots of little things to improve menus and sorting in libswell, plus the ability to theme things that aren't even accessible in Windows by using a libswell.colortheme file placed in your main REAPER folder. There's a sample file posted at the Linux REAPER thread on their forum that works nicely with darker themes - fonts much easier to read. I don't even have mscorefonts installed and it looks ok on Kubuntu 17.04.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

http://www.bandshed.net/packages/reaper-linux/

gmac has kindly made a debian package of V5403 now at the
above link. The most power packed 7.8 meg of linux audio
goodness under the sun!

Thanks for the debian package, gmac!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

How do you get windows vsts through airwave working in it? I thought I saw someone post something about some kind of work around but the only thing I see the reaper forum thread is about using wine-stable rather than wine-devel...I am using wine-stable and reaper just freezes.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote:How do you get windows vsts through airwave working in it? I thought I saw someone post something about some kind of work around but the only thing I see the reaper forum thread is about using wine-stable rather than wine-devel...I am using wine-stable and reaper just freezes.
I get the splash screen and that's it. The terminal says some error about airwave then core dump.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

funkmuscle wrote: I get the splash screen and that's it. The terminal says some error about airwave then core dump.
Which splash screen, reaper's?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Yep
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That's weird, I suspect that's a deeper issue, I know you're having problems with airwave in any daw so that might be part of that. Airwave works well for me in renoise, ardour and the little I've tried of bitwig, reaper just doesn't seem to be able to cope with it.
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

There's a new REAPER 5.405 and a new libSwell up at Landoleet. Aside from the video additions, there has been improvement for windows and file dialogs appearing on top where they belong, and there is now a Reaper icon on the top left instead of the generic X icon.

v5.405 - April 21 2017
+ linux: various swell improvements, small tweaks
+ linux: fullscreen video improvement

v5.404 - April 19 2017
+ linux: very very preliminary video support
+ linux: various other linux related updates/fixes

Also,I have been trying to avoid wine and windows vsts lately so I haven't tried any of the options, but on the REAPER forum, OSXMIDI's LinVst seems to be working pretty well for some people:

https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

sysrqer wrote:How do you get windows vsts through airwave working in it? I thought I saw someone post something about some kind of work around but the only thing I see the reaper forum thread is about using wine-stable rather than wine-devel...I am using wine-stable and reaper just freezes.
This nice walk-thru (4th post) posted by Luc helped me, follow it's steps

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=15927

and add a couple of extra steps which helped when using reaper.

I chose REAPER/UserPlugins for the default airwave plugin location,
make sure to add that path, or your personal choice (.vst etc) to reapers list of vst paths.
After selecting a plugin for use in airwave-manager, I click airwave-managers 'update links' icon,
it's the middle one, with twirling arrows.

Then I go to reaper VST preferences, and make sure the 'Apply' button is not grayed out,
which means unticking and re-ticking some -other- preference item...but don't Apply yet,
instead choose the Re-Scan button in the reaper VST prefs panel. After the re-scan, hit the apply button.

This regimen is 5 for 5 since I got that lucky logic! I'll try some more tomorrow
Good luck!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

glowrak guy wrote:
This nice walk-thru (4th post) posted by Luc helped me, follow it's steps

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=15927

and add a couple of extra steps which helped when using reaper.

I chose REAPER/UserPlugins for the default airwave plugin location,
make sure to add that path, or your personal choice (.vst etc) to reapers list of vst paths.
After selecting a plugin for use in airwave-manager, I click airwave-managers 'update links' icon,
it's the middle one, with twirling arrows.

Then I go to reaper VST preferences, and make sure the 'Apply' button is not grayed out,
which means unticking and re-ticking some -other- preference item...but don't Apply yet,
instead choose the Re-Scan button in the reaper VST prefs panel. After the re-scan, hit the apply button.

This regimen is 5 for 5 since I got that lucky logic! I'll try some more tomorrow
Good luck!
I don't have a problem getting airwave to work, I use it successfully with renoise and ardour. Reaper sees the plugins and allows me to appempt to load one on a track but as soon as I do try to load the plugin reaper freezes. It's an issue with reaper not airwave.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

has anyone tried the Reaper plugins in Ardour? I can't get Reaper to work at all with the Arch build so I've downloaded the tarball and noticed the plugins folder.
I would like to try them in Ardour but not sure where to have ardour look.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

sysrqer wrote: I don't have a problem getting airwave to work, I use it successfully with renoise and ardour. Reaper sees the plugins and allows me to appempt to load one on a track but as soon as I do try to load the plugin reaper freezes. It's an issue with reaper not airwave.
I'm using Mint 18, wine staging 2.4, I unarchived the reaper 5.405 in my home/user folder,
and copied the libswell for debian Jessie to it's folder. I've added a bunch of plugins,
Amplitube 4, Headcase Suite, Headcase Loner, Reaktor Player fo rRazor/Prism/ensembles, z3ta+ 1.5, Cobalt, Dualism,
QwikQwak Bar Chimes, CM Fuzz, the late H. G. Fortune's DrumBurst

(So I'm not using Reaper from /opt/REAPER, but /home/user/REAPER ...if you can closely replicate the setup above,
and add the steps I use in the earlier post, things should work. ) And I wouldn't expect linux daws to behave
identically with airwave, especially in the early goings.

I should mention that the re-scanning time will vary greatly, some go quick, some slow.
Headcase took two minutes to scan the first time, but very fast after that.
Cheers
Last edited by glowrak guy on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.