Renoise 3.1 (beta)

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Renoise 3.1 (beta)

Post by sysrqer »

Been playing with it a little bit and it's quite a big update, some really welcome features (and bug fixes). I'm really annoyed there is still no LV2 support though, seems like at the very least it's going to be a few years before that happens, if it ever does happen. Personally I would have been happy with just LV2 and bug fixes.
karm
Established Member

Post by karm »

They are merging features from their new plugin - Redux. I bought it and I must say I am genuienly impressed. There is a linux native VST for this plugin. I don't think there is a better sampler available for linux.
Only birds fly first class
Archlinux on desktop pc.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Yeah, that 3.1 has been quite a smooth ride so far - impressive quality for a beta.
The elephant in the room is of course the lack of LV2 support, but otherwise it's all good.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Out of curiosity, are you guys using the 3.1 beta in a low latency jack setup and if so with what level of success?
I'm running at the moment at 64*3@96K with a scarlett 2i2 (around 7msec round trip latency), but cannot avoid the occasional xrun - let's say around 10-15 per 2 hour session.

My current projects don't involve any plugin or heavy stuff, the only other thing running is Guitarix (hence my low latency requirement).
This is roughly in line with what I would get with Ardour. Lighter stuff like guitarix and hydrogen run absolutely fine.

This is just to see if my expectations are realistic here, and if it's worth pushing the tuning a bit further and possibly raising the issue in the Renoise beta test threads, or if I'm chasing unicorns ;-)

Cheers,

LX
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I don't go anywhere that low but only because I use a laptop with inbuilt soundcard and not a very fast processor.
Is the problem the same with 3.01 or 2.8? You should report it soon if you think it's a bug because most of the bugs seem to be getting ironed out and the release shouldn't be too far away.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Thx sysrqer.
I found Renoise to be in general a bit more heavy since the 3.x series, but in all fairness it still performs pretty well given the number of features added since 2.8.
Actually I can't think of any faster application with comparable functionality (is there even any?).
So a few xruns at low latency would probably not qualify as a bug - unless I could pinpoint a specific action or reproducible behavior (not the case so far).
If memory serves, Taktik mentioned at some point during 3.x testing that the betas were not fully optimized yet. So I don't want to open a can of worms for nothing...
I'll raise it as an optimization question - Maybe I've overlooked something obvious after all...
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »